Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never said in Phoenix
200.gif

Chris look into split units, i use a small one to cool a bonus room above my garage it works great they are super efficient. Get a price on getting one installed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREE-Li...at-Remote-115V-60Hz-LIVS09HP115V1BK/301983301
View attachment 272098
Yep, that’s what I have installed in our sons room, a mini-split just like this. I did it because his room being right over the garage is always hot no matter how cool the rest of the house is. This was a total game changer as his room is now ice cold if we want it that way.

Do those run the power bill up significantly?

I have an old AC/heat unit in my workshop. The kind like you see in hotel rooms. The AC hasn’t worked in years, but in the winter, it can really run the power bill up if I run it for a long time.

I have an old AC/heat unit in my workshop. The kind like you see in hotel rooms. The AC hasn’t worked in years, but in the winter, it can really run the power bill up if I run it for a long time.

I cannot say because it’s always been in since we bought the house. But seems very efficient it barely runs.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Look for higher SEER ratings.
For example at my house I have a geo thermal heat pump SEER rating is 24. Compared to average AC sold in MidWest around a 12. My AC bill runs $90 month. Neighbors report much higher.

In the shop, 30x50x13’ high I installed a slightly used 12,000 btu mini split. I have it set on economy mode 75 degrees and it has no problem keeping it cool. No idea what the SEER rating is on it.
Disclaimer, spray foam insulation and not AZ heat!

Ours barely runs and the guy who installed it told us they are very energy efficient. I haven’t noticed any substantial rise in our electric bill either.

I run the mini split in my garage. Does a great job with the TN heat and humidity, but I do wish I had gone with a larger unit than I did (I went with the size my HVAC guys recommended). If you open one of the doors for a few minutes, it takes the unit forever to recover. Other than that, I'm really happy with it. Game changer for working in the shop all year round.

I run the mini split in my garage. Does a great job with the TN heat and humidity, but I do wish I had gone with a larger unit than I did (I went with the size my HVAC guys recommended). If you open one of the doors for a few minutes, it takes the unit forever to recover. Other than that, I'm really happy with it. Game changer for working in the shop all year round.
What size did they install and how big is your garage? I have a slightly oversized 3 car garage and am planning to add a unit soon. We have similar weather here in Va and I'd like to avoid getting an undersized unit.

What replacement mesh did you use? How did you bond it to the back side?!

I am about to do this little project myself…
Basis 3 x 3 stainless wire mesh from McMaster Carr. Carefully cut to fit and then I use a combination of plastic bonder, soldering iron melting of some of the bits and JB weld to stick it in place.

Basis 3 x 3 stainless wire mesh from McMaster Carr. Carefully cut to fit and then I use a combination of plastic bonder, soldering iron melting of some of the bits and JB weld to stick it in place.
Do you paint it?

I just looked on their site, searched for stainless steel mesh, and found a 1 ft by 2 ft piece. Is this the correct?

https://www.mcmaster.com/mesh/mesh-size~3-3/
304 Stainless Steel Wire Cloth, 3 x 3 Mesh Size, 0.286" Opening Size
Looks like it. There are many on there depending on what your needs are. I like the stuff that is mashed around the cross bars but it is very expensive. The plus is the wires don't move around when you cut it. Best way to cut is with a cut off disc. The stuff in Chris's is not the mashed stuff. Just have to be gentle and pay attention when you cut.

Reactions: Irun
Status
Not open for further replies.