Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why a manual just out of curiosity?

FYI I really love these things with manuals.

I just can’t imagine owning a Jeep without a manual. An automatic may be better for wheeling, but I haven’t found any trails that hold me back because of the manual.

An 03 Rubicon with a 5 speed would be ideal. I just find manuals more fun.

I just can’t imagine owning a Jeep without a manual. An automatic may be better for wheeling, but I haven’t found any trails that hold me back because of the manual.

An 03 Rubicon with a 5 speed would be ideal. I just find manuals more fun.

I didn’t know what I was missing out on until I bought my first manual TJ. Now I’m not sure I could own one again that wasn’t a manual. For me, it makes it a lot more pleasurable to drive.

I didn’t know what I was missing out on until I bought my first manual TJ. Now I’m not sure I could own one again that wasn’t a manual. For me, it makes it a lot more pleasurable to drive.

I’ve driven a 5 speed and a 6 speed TJ on the road, and a 3 speed up the trail a small bit, so I can’t comment on everything. But I really do enjoy the manual. I’ve driven 550HP range rovers and I get bored with the auto. With the manual TJ I don’t get bored.

I also only plan to do some pretty simple mods to the rubicon I pick up. Probably just a simple 2.5” suspension + 1.25” body lift, some 32’s, small tuck, etc... Might as well enjoy the manual.

I’ve driven a 5 speed and a 6 speed TJ on the road, and a 3 speed up the trail a small bit, so I can’t comment on everything. But I really do enjoy the manual. I’ve driven 550HP range rovers and I get bored with the auto. With the manual TJ I don’t get bored.

I also only plan to do some pretty simple mods to the rubicon I pick up. Probably just a simple 2.5” suspension + 1.25” body lift, some 32’s, small tuck, etc... Might as well enjoy the manual.

Yes, I got very bored of driving my 42RLE, so I understand that. This one doesn't bore me in that sense.

Of course we'll see how the NV3550 holds up. I suppose if it ever goes, AX-15s are cheap and easy to come by.

Reactions: Alex01
Are those the 3 hole tow hooks that Jerry gave a link to in your other thread?

It looks they are.

Yep, they are.

I move the Savvy mounting brackets to the top of the included 2-hole recovery hooks, but it made the lights sit up a bit higher than I wanted.

These 3-hole hooks allowed me to push the hook forward more, thus allowing the light mount brackets to sit below the hook and the lights to sit lower.

It's only about an inch-and-a-half, but I like the way this looks more personally.

Yep, they are.

I move the Savvy mounting brackets to the top of the included 2-hole recovery hooks, but it made the lights sit up a bit higher than I wanted.

These 3-hole hooks allowed me to push the hook forward more, thus allowing the light mount brackets to sit below the hook and the lights to sit lower.

It's only about an inch-and-a-half, but I like the way this looks more personally.

I can see how having the lights up higher might get them up into the lower plane of the headlights.

My original NV3550 lasted 220,000 miles. I never understand why people don’t like the NV3550 so much. Been completely fine in my opinion, though I’ve never driven an AX15.
I'm with you. If I can I'll rebuild the NV3550 before swapping in an AX15. I really like the first gear in the NV3550 and it's been a great tranny so far.

I can see how having the lights up higher might get them up into the lower plane of the headlights.

Yep, and that was bothering me even if it was just a cosmetic gripe.

I'm pretending Chris is my online character and I am buying all of these cool Jeep parts and upgrading my very own virtual Jeep.

I don't know man... with a Hellcat, a TJ, and almost a 3000GT VR4, it might be better if I live vicariously through you :LOL:

I'm with you. If I can I'll rebuild the NV3550 before swapping in an AX15. I really like the first gear in the NV3550 and it's been a great tranny so far.

Have you ever looked into the cost of rebuilding the NV3550 or if there are places that will do it? I haven't driven an AX-15 so I have no experience with it. How much different is the first gear?

• Haha
Reactions: skrelnik

My original NV3550 lasted 220,000 miles. I never understand why people don’t like the NV3550 so much. Been completely fine in my opinion, though I’ve never driven an AX15.

In my experiences, I would call this the Coke vs Pepsi vs Jolt challenge. If you only drink one of them, you will crap on the two you do not drink.

The wife and I look for cars with manual trannys as they are just more fun, and really keep you engaged with the driving experience. The NSG has got crapped on for years, but I have no major issues with it - is it as smooth as a Getrag 6-speed in an Audi B7 A4, no, but this is also a Jeep, and my expectations are just that. Even the Hellcat's Tremec has an issue with going into second, such that we added a short shifter and heavy weight knob to help out.

I don't know man... with a Hellcat, a TJ, and almost a 3000GT VR4, it might be better if I live vicariously through you :LOL:

Have you ever looked into the cost of rebuilding the NV3550 or if there are places that will do it? I haven't driven an AX-15 so I have no experience with it. How much different is the first gear?

Haha, yes, I do have similar tendencies as you, but because I really like to eat dinner, I'd rather tell my wife your stories than my stories so I don't run into a debacle like your "Project Pissed Off Wife: A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending".

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
In my experiences, I would call this the Coke vs Pepsi vs Jolt challenge. If you only drink one of them, you will crap on the two you do not drink.

The wife and I look for cars with manual trannys as they are just more fun, and really keep you engaged with the driving experience. The NSG has got crapped on for years, but I have no major issues with it - is it as smooth as a Getrag 6-speed in an Audi B7 A4, no, but this is also a Jeep, and my expectations are just that. Even the Hellcat's Tremec has an issue with going into second, such that we added a short shifter and heavy weight knob to help out.

Haha, yes, I do have similar tendencies as you, but because I really like to eat dinner, I'd rather tell my wife your stories than my stories so I don't run into a debacle like your "Project Pissed Off Wife: A Story of Indecision and Frivolous Spending".

I don't know man... somehow you had her on-board with a 3000GT VR4 ;)

Reactions: skrelnik

4.01 vs 3.83 so I'd lose crawl ratio unless I regear. I worked hard / spent a lot to get where I am so losing any would be bad imo.

https://www.midwesttrans.com/nv3550-5-speed-rebuilt-manual-transmissions/#

Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
Reactions: Alex01
Status
Not open for further replies.