Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, I wish my wife had any interest in vehicles whatsoever :LOL:
I’m sure she does. As long as it gets her and the kids where they need to go, she’s happy.

Reactions: Alex01
I’m also in agreement that I enjoy a manual more and the challenges it presents on the trail. I’d rather invest in an atlas with a manual than switch to auto
Once I put the 5:1 in life became a lot easier. The only time I've stalled on the trail was when I mistakenly put it in 3rd instead of 1st. In first gear, the atlas will spin the tires and break traction way before stalling out the engine. On steep inclines, I also haven't needed to use the hand throttle since now I can simply release the clutch until it starts pulling then let off the brakes. When I first installed the atlas I put it in 2wd low, stood on the brakes, and released the clutch. The front tires locked completely up and the jeep pushed right through it. It's nice wheeling without dancing with the clutch.

Reactions: DrDmoney and JMT
I’m also in agreement that I enjoy a manual more and the challenges it presents on the trail. I’d rather invest in an atlas with a manual than switch to auto
You’ve got the Jeep bug real bad man!

Reactions: starkey480
Once I put the 5:1 in life became a lot easier. The only time I've stalled on the trail was when I mistakenly put it in 3rd instead of 1st. In first gear, the atlas will spin the tires and break traction way before stalling out the engine. On steep inclines, I also haven't needed to use the hand throttle since now I can simply release the clutch until it starts pulling then let off the brakes. When I first installed the atlas I put it in 2wd low, stood on the brakes, and released the clutch. The front tires locked completely up and the jeep pushed right through it. It's nice wheeling without dancing with the clutch.
Don’t tempt me! How much is an Atlas?

Don’t tempt me! How much is an Atlas?
I want to say it was roughly $2,700 shipped. I'm not sure how tough it would be to fit it with the savvy skid since I believe it's a bit bigger than a NP241 and that was a tight fit when I helped with Toms. I would be shocked though if @mrblaine hasn't done a few Savvy/Atlas installs and made it work.

Reactions: JMT and starkey480
This sounds amazing. All the benefits of an auto and manual

I want to say it was roughly $2,700 shipped. I'm not sure how tough it would be to fit it with the savvy skid since I believe it's a bit bigger than a NP241 and that was a tight fit when I helped with Toms. I would be shocked though if @mrblaine hasn't done a few Savvy/Atlas installs and made it work.

I thought you had a Savvy skid. What skid are you running?

I thought you had a Savvy skid. What skid are you running?
Aluminum UCF No BL version with a GR universal cross-member. With my 1.25" BL though I could have likely got away with the more tucked version. My guess is though that, I would have had front driveline vibrations and needed to add Hubs.

Aluminum UCF No BL version with a GR universal cross-member. With my 1.25" BL though I could have likely got away with the more tucked version. My guess is though that, I would have had front driveline vibrations and needed to add Hubs.

I guess I should consider myself lucky I don’t have vibes.

Reactions: Alex01
Hmmm it would work with the most tucked version and hubs you say...😁🤔 (my exact setup)

Be shocked. The crossmember has to be hacked into oblivion to work and I won't do that.

Hmmm it would work with the most tucked version and hubs you say...😁🤔 (my exact setup)
I believe the "extra clearance" version would be a fairly easy install if the atlas was clocked around 7-13*. The "ultra-high clearance" would likely involve a fair amount of beating the tub but I'd bet it's doable with enough determination. (assuming a 1.25 BL)

I believe the "extra clearance" version would be a fairly easy install if the atlas was clocked around 7-13*. The "ultra-high clearance" would likely involve a fair amount of beating the tub but I'd bet it's doable with enough determination. (assuming a 1.25 BL)
Determination is only part of it. You have to notch the back side of the seat riser for the floor pan to move up into the notch.

Be shocked. The crossmember has to be hacked into oblivion to work and I won't do that.
Do you design your own skid/cross member for atlas installs or do you just avoid them completely?

Going off-topic further but which transfer case are you putting in the J6?
It already had a 241 and since I have a spare, I'll leave it for now. This is how we do an Atlas install. We build a stiffener across the back to finish it off.

DSC_5207.JPG
DSC_5208.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.