Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might be able to go slightly smaller. Find a few different size grommets. See if you can stretch them over the connector. Fill the gap in the grommet with some RTV/silicone.

Or re-route it to the drivers side.
Could cut the end off and solder it back on. Or a new end.

My cable came with a detached end, cut to length.

You might be able to go slightly smaller. Find a few different size grommets. See if you can stretch them over the connector. Fill the gap in the grommet with some RTV/silicone.

Or re-route it to the drivers side.

What's on the driver's side that's different than the passenger's side as far as running this cable goes?

If I could remove the connector end of the cable, drill a tiny hole, put in a grommet, then put the connecter end back on, that would make for a nice, little hole. Of course I don't think you can remove the connector ends and reinstall them.

Could cut the end off and solder it back on. Or a new end.

My cable came with a detached end, cut to length.

I thought about that too. Is this type of cable something that can (and should) be soldered?

A radio shop can crimp a new connector on for you. Look for a shop that installs radios for law inforcement/fire.

Reactions: Chris
You can get a coax that has a smaller connector on one end that you can then screw the standard coax too.

Wilson Antenna 305-830 18' Belden Coax Cable with PL-259/FME Connectors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006NTK3MM/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Thanks. He was about to get the stop being a 'tard lesson again and use the coax with a small BNC on one end. Use a 90 PL-259 adapter on the other end, point the coax at the hinge, take it behind the crossbar on the gate and in through the tub behind the hinge.

Good deal. Ordered the cable, ordered the 90 PL-259 adapter, now I just need some grommets.

Thanks guys!

I just went out under the tail-light. Seamless.

What's on the driver's side that's different than the passenger's side as far as running this cable goes?

If I could remove the connector end of the cable, drill a tiny hole, put in a grommet, then put the connecter end back on, that would make for a nice, little hole. Of course I don't think you can remove the connector ends and reinstall them.

A big grommet right behind the roll bar with the main harness going through it. I cut a small slit in it to run the cable through. Dabbed some black RTV on it to seal it up.

Why not just cut the connector off on the radio end then run the cable through a very small hole back to the radio. Then just simply install a new connector. Takes all of about 5 minutes

Reactions: Chris and DrDmoney
Why not just cut the connector off on the radio end then run the cable through a very small hole back to the radio. Then just simply install a new connector. Takes all of about 5 minutes
Do you have a link to these 5 minute install PL=259 connectors? Cuz I'd really like to see one.

Do you have a link to these 5 minute install PL=259 connectors? Cuz I'd really like to see one.

I guess I have done enough of them that they are easy for me. I just did one last week and it was easily 5 minutes or less.

https://fieldcomponents.com/RFU-501...MIlJX9ntXT7AIVw8DACh0MZACREAQYAyABEgIf7vD_BwE
These are the ones I use. Simply strip the wire back, twist it into the connector and put a couple drops of solder on the end. Checked the SWR when I was finished and had a 1.3 on one end and a 1.7 on the other.

The problem I am having is that in order for the end of the coax cable to fit through, it would have to be an excessively large hole, no?

This was also my original idea, but like I said, the end of the cable is going to call for a sizable hole.
I remember seeing some stuff from Firestik for just this purpose. Something like these. The FME is a 2-piece head so that you can unscrew the end, route it through a smaller hole, then screw it back on.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/...e/products/firestik-firering-cb-coax-with-fme
Or this connector. I can't link directly to the part on firestik's website so here's a screenshot:

1603910518569.png

I remember seeing some stuff from Firestik for just this purpose. Something like these. The FME is a 2-piece head so that you can unscrew the end, route it through a smaller hole, then screw it back on.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/...e/products/firestik-firering-cb-coax-with-fme
Or this connector. I can't link directly to the part on firestik's website so here's a screenshot:

View attachment 199375

That Firestik connector would have been perfect, wish I had known!

Oh well, I ordered the 90 degree connector that Blaine mentioned and the other cable with the removable end. They arrive today, so we'll see what I can do.

Reactions: Tob
Status
Not open for further replies.