Piss & Moan Table

Took the day off to work on cleaning up the garage. Did a dump-run after that. Decided to change the oil in the S10 Blazer. 4.3 V6 in it. Filter is easy to get to. I'll wash the rig after I'm done. Riiiight...

Two and a half hours later, the filter is a shredded mess of tangled metal. Using the proper tools was futile. It's on so tight that a cup-style tool just started to collapse the filter. An oil filter wrench self-destructed trying to remove it. Eventually, I had to resort to the old "screwdriver through the filter" trick, but all that did was rip the metal. I have exposed enough of the base of the filter that I can see the holes in it. I tried a punch and a chisel (and hammer, obviously) to smack it loose, but to no avail. I may have to resort to welding a socket to the base and seeing if that works. All I know is that the dealership's "mechanic" (original owner only took it to the dealer for all the maintenance) should have his knuckles smacked for putting it on so f'n tight. I'm actually wondering if he cross-threaded it, and that's the issue. And yes, before anyone asks, I've been turning it the correct direction for removal! ;)

Took the day off to work on cleaning up the garage. Did a dump-run after that. Decided to change the oil in the S10 Blazer. 4.3 V6 in it. Filter is easy to get to. I'll wash the rig after I'm done. Riiiight...

Two and a half hours later, the filter is a shredded mess of tangled metal. Using the proper tools was futile. It's on so tight that a cup-style tool just started to collapse the filter. An oil filter wrench self-destructed trying to remove it. Eventually, I had to resort to the old "screwdriver through the filter" trick, but all that did was rip the metal. I have exposed enough of the base of the filter that I can see the holes in it. I tried a punch and a chisel (and hammer, obviously) to smack it loose, but to no avail. I may have to resort to welding a socket to the base and seeing if that works. All I know is that the dealership's "mechanic" (original owner only took it to the dealer for all the maintenance) should have his knuckles smacked for putting it on so f'n tight. I'm actually wondering if he cross-threaded it, and that's the issue. And yes, before anyone asks, I've been turning it the correct direction for removal! ;)
I couldn't tell you how many times I ran into that when I was working in a lube bay for a Chevy dealer not long after I gradiated from UTI (Un Trained Idiot) in AZ. Not to mention how many faulty, new, filters that somehow got missed by quality control, including a few that had messed up threads.

• Sad
Reactions: Squatch
Had the same issue on my wife’s and daughter’s cars after they had their oil changed at a local shop while I was out of town. I swear they used an impact wrench to tighten them on. Both where hard to get to and after I mangled the cans I was able to get a chain wrench around the base and get them off using every once of force I could muster. That’s one of the reasons to lube the gasket. Unfortunately it’s usually the less skilled mechanics that do the oil changes at shops.

I always resorted to this when they torque them on.

1649722663418.jpeg

So, while taking a nice, hot shower, I came up with an idea. After 'splaining it to my wife, I decided to see if there was anything like what I was thinking on YouTube. Lo and behold, this guy's video is like some kind of step-by-step copy of what I experienced, and he came up with the same solution I did. It gives me some confidence, at least, that it'll work. Check it out...

Had the same issue on my wife’s and daughter’s cars after they had their oil changed at a local shop while I was out of town. I swear they used an impact wrench to tighten them on. Both where hard to get to and after I mangled the cans I was able to get a chain wrench around the base and get them off using every once of force I could muster. That’s one of the reasons to lube the gasket. Unfortunately it’s usually the less skilled mechanics that do the oil changes at shops.
One of the issues in my situation is that there's not enough clearance around the filter for anything bigger than a strap wrench. Not much room to maneuver anything with a handle, either. It's like these things were made for the cap-style filter "sockets".

Ah yes, the ole too tight spin on oil filter! BTDT. My fault too. The screw driver trick didn't work for me either and then "there it was" - undriveable. Had it ('86 C10 w/305) towed to the longtime family mechanic who beat on it with a hammer and chisel for 30 minutes to get it off. He then told me that thing you NEVER want your mechanic to say to you: "Don't you EVER do that again, and if you do, don't bring it here!" :ROFLMAO:
o_O

It's not necessarily that he over tightened it but that he did not lube the rubber seal. I run into it all the time at the dealership. I have specialty tools for this exact situation but have had to resort to a hammer and chisel at times.

Reactions: Squatch
It's not necessarily that he over tightened it but that he did not lube the rubber seal. I run into it all the time at the dealership. I have specialty tools for this exact situation but have had to resort to a hammer and chisel at times.
Yeah, I've since read that very thing about the likelihood that he didn't lube the seal. Sure made my job tougher, let me tell ya. :rolleyes:

I'm ready for summer, or at least our normal cloudy, drizzling rain April weather.

View attachment 322439
I hear you. Ice went of the lake a week ago. Dock is in. But where my new house is being built I have ice 14" below the surface where i want to pour the concrete for hydronic heat. So I wait. Roads are posted with 10 ton weight limits anyway. Problem is this means yet another move (#4) until house gets done.
So i am trying to flood it with 52 degree lake water to drive out the frost.

5E2277FF-CFBF-4D62-BD80-A45BFCE0001A.jpeg

Last edited:
For the love of god can we get two days in a row to get some farm work done?
Yesterday was another one day marathon: winds finally calmed enough I sprayed herbicide on fields being taken over by weeds, while my son ran the planter.
Quit planting at 10:30 last night in the drizzle and solid rain this morning!

Yesterday was another one day marathon: winds finally calmed enough I sprayed herbicide on fields being taken over by weeds, while my son ran the planter.
Send all your extra rain to us

Send all your extra rain to us
It's boom or bust across the country it seems, you folks good sure use some nice gentle rains.
Not that we're abundantly wet, just getting lots of small rains preventing fieldwork. Incessantly windy and cold. Everything is a couple weeks behind normal.

Work is.....blah,blah,blah. I'll live, I guess.

The oil filter thing I do is of course lube the ring and put it on with my left hand. Since I'm right-handed it's much harder to over tighten it. I can take it off with my right hand.

No need to use any tools. It doesn't leak. If it did, I wouldn't notice since the rear main seal leaks more.

I don't use tools for any of my cars with an external filter and haven't had issues. The Toyota has an internal filter and I tighten the filter housing with my left hand too.

Last week the wind was 50 mph here 2 days in a row. Yesterday was cold, rainy, and 20 mph winds.

I'm moving somewhere with less wind when I retire.

Reactions: B252 and reddvltj
I couldn't tell you how many times I ran into that when I was working in a lube bay for a Chevy dealer not long after I gradiated from UTI (Un Trained Idiot) in AZ. Not to mention how many faulty, new, filters that somehow got missed by quality control, including a few that had messed up threads.
Is going to UTI worth it?

Is going to UTI worth it?
I think it was worth it. It opens up a lot of opportunities depending on which courses you take. They have expanded a bunch since I went through (I finished in '93). They have more specialized courses now that they didn't have then. I think they even have "Factory" add on courses you can take that gear you towards specific manufacturers. It's been a minute (8 years) since I looked at what was available, when my kids were considering their options after graduating from HS.

Weatherman says next week Monday 71, followed by high 70's and 80's. Been 50's all this week and we finally see sun today.

Weatherman says next week Monday 71, followed by high 70's and 80's. Been 50's all this week and we finally see sun today.
We finished up some spraying today where we didn’t get too much rain. 1.5” predicted for Thursday Friday the it warms up and dries. Hopefully!

turning left at a light onto a side road at a awkward intersection, lights way up but stopping point is way back.

cant see around the car waiting to turn right (direction im heading from) on the road im turning onto, road also immediately hooks a sharp left even more just rear of the guy waiting to turn right.

get a clearing of oncoming traffic, drive forward and across the two oncoming lanes of traffic onto the side road and immediately theres a goose and a bunch of goslings in the road hoping the curb. I react and slow to a crawl and stop and as soon as I see them and as im about stopped, dumbass waiting at the red light (no turns on red) yells out "HEY" so I look over at the mid 20's guy he hesitated for a second then yells out "SLOW DOWN". ive already stopped and literally just cleared the intersection as im getting the "slow down" bitching.

I did nothing wrong. I casually cleared the intersection, seen animals in the road, no one is behind me and safely slow down & stop.

this moron was too late with the "HEY" and had nothing to say as I was already stopped so im assuming I just got the generic "slow down" confrontation.
I didnt get any waving or horn honking prior to alert me somethings going on as im mid turn but instead got bitched at for nothing. managed to tell him to fuck off as he turned right on the red light as the clearly posted no right on red sign was right in front of him. would have loved to follow him to inform him "HEY, NO RIGHT ON RED"

people are fucking morons. kids, animals, cars backing up, what have you... im fully alert of whats going on around me because theres too many idiots out there.

few days back approaching my driveway coming home, sidewalks clear ahead and behind. stop in the road and put it into reverse backing in and as soon as my tires just touch the approach of my driveway suddenly theres a 6 year old 4' from my bumper running across the sidewalk behind me.

gotta watch for everything. on or off road.

it blows my mind how many kids under 7 are just running around the neighborhood carelessly on their own with no one watching them within the city.