Plug-and-play speaker upgrade?

To run the roll bar speakers off of a new aftermarket amp do I need to run new wires from the new amp to the roll bar speakers to bypass the old factory amp?

To run the roll bar speakers off of a new aftermarket amp do I need to run new wires from the new amp to the roll bar speakers to bypass the old factory amp?

I didn't. On my 04, the speakers worked fine without the factory amp installed (it was one of the first things I ripped out). The amp was only running the sub. The speaker wires were just providing line level input to the amp. IIRC, the factory connector had the 8 speaker wires, a remote on, 12V and a ground.

When I installed my new amp, I just connected it to the factory speaker wires behind the dash, rather than running new.

Testing my memory here...

I'm nearly certain that the amps go in between the receiver and the speakers. The factory speaker wiring connects to the amps.

Reactions: skrelnik
Thanks for the info. 2004 here too. Good to know that the factory amp only runs the sub.

I'm planning on running new wiring to the dash speakers and sub but not to the roll bar speakers since they have the fancy plugs with the lights and I can't be bothered. It sounds like I am ordering enough wire then.

Thanks for the info. 2004 here too. Good to know that the factory amp only runs the sub.

I'm planning on running new wiring to the dash speakers and sub but not to the roll bar speakers since they have the fancy plugs with the lights and I can't be bothered. It sounds like I am ordering enough wire then.

You can use the OEM wire or new wire. Not hard at all to install new wire as the fancy plug has two outputs, one to the light and one to the speaker.

If you decide to do this I would recommend following something like:

1) Cut a 15-20 foot piece of speaker wire, per pod, from the speaker wire you ordered.
2) Connect the 15-20 foot speaker wire to the new speaker.
3) Stuff the speaker pod with polyfill or a similar material from Home Goods or wherever.
4) Insert the new speaker wire from the new speaker into the pod and pull it through that grommet.
5) Install the new speaker back to the speaker pod.
6) Connect the speaker pod back to the roll bar.
7) Run the speaker wire down the roll bar, under the door sill lip and to the amplifier ( if installed under the steering column).

Takes some time, but it is relatively easy.

You can use the OEM wire or new wire. Not hard at all to install new wire as the fancy plug has two outputs, one to the light and one to the speaker.

If you decide to do this I would recommend following something like:

1) Cut a 15-20 foot piece of speaker wire, per pod, from the speaker wire you ordered.
2) Connect the 15-20 foot speaker wire to the new speaker.
3) Stuff the speaker pod with polyfill or a similar material from Home Goods or wherever.
4) Insert the new speaker wire from the new speaker into the pod and pull it through that grommet.
5) Install the new speaker back to the speaker pod.
6) Connect the speaker pod back to the roll bar.
7) Run the speaker wire down the roll bar, under the door sill lip and to the amplifier ( if installed under the steering column).

Takes some time, but it is relatively easy.

Do you know how the factory wire compares to speaker wire?

Do you know how the factory wire compares to speaker wire?

Not comparable if you get a decent quality. Since this is a longer wire run you ideally want 12 or 14 gauge, but 16 is fine. I think the factory is 18 gauge and at this point at least 13 years old.

It is not necessary by any means to replace the speaker wire, but I would recommend to.

*** I think I previously mentioned the NVX brand from Sonic Electronix, and that is really good stuff for the price.

Reactions: toximus
Not comparable if you get a decent quality. Since this is a longer wire run you ideally want 12 or 14 gauge, but 16 is fine. I think the factory is 18 gauge and at this point at least 13 years old.

It is not necessary by any means to replace the speaker wire, but I would recommend to.

*** I think I previously mentioned the NVX brand from Sonic Electronix, and that is really good stuff for the price.

For just a few dollars, you talked me into it.

For just a few dollars, you talked me into it.

Awesome! Its worth it and also another reason to spend more time with the Jeep.

Thanks for bearing with me and answering my noob audio questions. I placed the order.

Anytime, glad to help out and give something back to the forum as I have received a lot of good info from other members.

Any reasons to not use a weatherpack connector on the speaker wires? Rated to 20a and accepts 12ga so it seems like it'd be fine?

Any reasons to not use a weatherpack connector on the speaker wires? Rated to 20a and accepts 12ga so it seems like it'd be fine?

Probably overkill, but I do not see any negatives outside of price. Any reason you would use them over other connectors that are sold at Autozone/Advance Auto, or online through Sonic Electronix?

Probably overkill, but I do not see any negatives outside of price. Any reason you would use them over other connectors that are sold at Autozone/Advance Auto, or online through Sonic Electronix?

Mainly because I have them and they better match the speaker wire than OEM speaker connectors.

A pair of spade connectors would probably work too and be cheaper.

Mainly because I have them and they better match the speaker wire than OEM speaker connectors.

A pair of spade connectors would probably work too and be cheaper.
Thanks for bearing with me and answering my noob audio questions. I placed the order.

Any issues in wiring the Alpine HU? I’ve never installed an audio system and have done a bit of research but I’m questioning a few steps.

Any issues in wiring the Alpine HU? I’ve never installed an audio system and have done a bit of research but I’m questioning a few steps.

It was all pretty easy. No different from other head units. It would be a bit easier if you reuse the factory wiring though.

It was all pretty easy. No different from other head units. It would be a bit easier if you reuse the factory wiring though.

Agreed with toximus, no different than any other name brand, especially if ordered through Crutchfield who will send you all the connectors.

Also, Alpine has an app called TuneIt that allows you to control the head unit, so look into that app in the Google play store, or Apple equivalent.

Some of the wires don’t match up so I just wanted to make sure I’m doing it correctly. I contacted Crutchfield’s support team and they told me to connect the illumination wire from the harness to the reverse wire on the head unit which seems odd. Guess I’ll just wire it all up and test it out 😬

Some of the wires don’t match up so I just wanted to make sure I’m doing it correctly. I contacted Crutchfield’s support team and they told me to connect the illumination wire from the harness to the reverse wire on the head unit which seems odd. Guess I’ll just wire it all up and test it out 😬

For that part I used a bypass.