Poison Spyder armor rust

Spyder_TJ

Hello all, new to the forums, not new to jeeps, on my second Jeep build and I went with poison spyder crusher corners this go around for my tub armor, the product has awesome build quality and is really nice but I’ve started to get some rust behind the flares (they’re welded on) any ideas how I should go about fixing the rust and preventing it? Should I drill a hole at the bottom? Thanks in advance

9105B492-0908-4A5C-9B2C-094567AB909C.jpeg

346109B2-BADE-48A5-9A59-C111678BFE6F.jpeg

Hello all, new to the forums, not new to jeeps, on my second Jeep build and I went with poison spyder crusher corners this go around for my tub armor, the product has awesome build quality and is really nice but I’ve started to get some rust behind the flares (they’re welded on) any ideas how I should go about fixing the rust and preventing it? Should I drill a hole at the bottom? Thanks in advance

View attachment 384306

View attachment 384307

That sux. To me, it looks like the metal is rusting behind the flares and they dirty water is staining the painted section. Only way to fix it is remove the flares

Drilling a hole isn’t going to do you any good, the water can already make its way out

Reactions: Irun
Remove it and treat it. Otherwise, accept it will eat your Jeep!

Reactions: Chris
Weld the flares on completely to close up the gap, or use a seam sealer... it's getting water into the gap between the fender and flare... you need to close that gap to prevent water from getting in there.

Reactions: AndyG
Thats internal- I’d pull them- blast or acid treat the rust- then coat it , reinstall.

Just condensation alone will cause that- that is a micro example of why an uncoated tj frame rusts so fast-

Andy

Last edited:
As previously mentioned, you need to remove the fenders and treat the rust. A hole isn't going to do anything.

Reactions: AndyG