Poor Ride Quality

I guess I didn't do a good job describing it. Yes there is a slight hint of bump steer, but it's more of a wobble over bumps. On divots and such in the road, the tires turn left and right almost independent of the steering wheel. I had a video at one time using the factory style bar but I will have to find it.

The bump steer exists. Mild or not, it isn't helping anything. Beyond that, your steering gear could be worn out. Or the wheel backspacing isn't deep enough creating lousy road manners. Or any one or several of the steering and suspension connections are loose or worn out. Do a steering test where the engine is running while you grab and feel each and every connection you can think of while a helper quickly turns the steering side to side.

Now it's a "hint" of bump steer. Not how you described it earlier.

Yeah I did a bad job describing it. I will say, there are times when you hit a bump the wheel wants to follow, but not every time. That isn't the part I am worried about, my dads brand new tacoma does that straight out of the box ten times worse than this. I am searching for the video of the tire wobble I am describing that I have a feeling goes on all the time

The bump steer exists. Mild or not, it isn't helping anything. Beyond that, your steering gear could be worn out. Or the wheel backspacing isn't deep enough creating lousy road manners. Or any one or several of the steering and suspension connections are loose or worn out. Do a steering test where the engine is running while you grab and feel each and every connection you can think of while a helper quickly turns the steering side to side.

I have considered the steering gear as a possibility (185k miles). The wheels are 2021 Gladiator Mojave wheels on 1.25" lug adapters if that helps any

I have considered the steering gear as a possibility (185k miles). The wheels are 2021 Gladiator Mojave wheels on 1.25" lug adapters if that helps any

At 185k, the steering gear is worn out.

If the final backspacing of the JL wheels is less than 4", that isn't doing you any favors either.

As in the steering gearbox correct? I see several replacement options: PSC, Redhead, Parts store replacement. Am I missing any? Any input?

Yes. If you can't find a stock low mileage or a brand new one, you are stuck with PSC. All of these reman/rebuilt boxes only have new seals. The box is still worn out.

At 185k, the steering gear is worn out.

If the final backspacing of the JL wheels is less than 4", that isn't doing you any favors either.

Is redhead any good?

From my research the offset of the wheels is 37mm, not including the 1.25" spacer/adapters

I don't know much about them. When I eventually go to hydro assist, I will use PSC everything.

should be 4.46" backspace all together (assuming the adapter subtracts to the total number of backspacing. Im unsure how that all works)

That is correct. 4.46" is a good number, a long as the tire and wheel clears everything it needs to clear.

I don't know much about them. When I eventually go to hydro assist, I will use PSC everything.

That is correct. 4.46" is a good number, a long as the tire and wheel clears everything it needs to clear.

Hard to believe they want nearly 3k for a steering kit. You could almost buy a TJ for that a few years ago

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Hard to believe they want nearly 3k for a steering kit. You could almost buy a TJ for that a few years ago

Because it isn’t a stock replacement. It’s a massive upgrade. The problem is you don’t have a good stock replacement option. I tried a redhead late model box and after a few months it was worse than what I replaced. PSC is the only “new” option.