Power steering pumps

I'm soon installing a PSC high flow pump along with the related components. The PSC high flow pump is higher volume and higher pressure to support larger steering gear, ram assist, and/or hydroboost brakes.
If you're not running large tires and don't plan on it, this pump is not necessary.
https://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehicle-specific-products/jeep-temp/03-06-jeep-tj-lj/psc-pk1852.html
PSC also makes a stock replacement pump.
https://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehicle-specific-products/jeep-temp/03-06-jeep-tj-lj/psc-sp1205.html

Reactions: doktormane
After reading horror stories about people having to replace pumps multiple times I'd go PSC for a replacement if mine failed. I know they are expensive but I wouldn't want to have to change it more than once.

I put this one on my '99 mostly out of process of elimination (it was the only one on RockAuto that I couldn't find negative reviews about)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7516160&cc=1431777&jsn=19
Lares touts themselves as "one of the largest manufacturers of new and remanufactured power steering gears, manual steering gears, power steering pumps, and power steering components in the United States", but it's hard to tell whether all of their manufacturing is domestic or not.

It's been on for two years with no problems so far, but I've probably not driven 10k miles on it so I can't testify to it's longevity just yet.

Reactions: papasjeep
Are the stock pumps noted for going out?

I wouldn't say that, mine lasted 19 years and only died when I got on a rock crawling trail with fluid that was who knows how old, got it hot enough to foam it up and burp it out the reservoir and then it was too low and I didn't have any to fill it back up before running it back over the hardest 2 miles my TJ has ever seen. It was still working once I got it home but the groan never went away so I replaced it about 6 months later. I have a power steering cooler but haven't decided where to mount it yet.

Last edited:
Yea, I was just wondering. My old MBZ is 35 years old and the PS pump is one of the few things that hasn't ever been replaced.

Reactions: pc1p
I'm soon installing a PSC high flow pump along with the related components. The PSC high flow pump is higher volume and higher pressure to support larger steering gear, ram assist, and/or hydroboost brakes.
If you're not running large tires and don't plan on it, this pump is not necessary.
https://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehicle-specific-products/jeep-temp/03-06-jeep-tj-lj/psc-pk1852.html
PSC also makes a stock replacement pump.
https://www.pscmotorsports.com/vehicle-specific-products/jeep-temp/03-06-jeep-tj-lj/psc-sp1205.html

what you consider to be larger tires? 35s and up?

well I don’t have the money for the ram assist but I do have enough for the psc pk1852 kit. Is this kit pointless performance wise with out the ram assist? (Other than being more durable)

well I don’t have the money for the ram assist but I do have enough for the psc pk1852 kit. Is this kit pointless performance wise with out the ram assist? (Other than being more durable)
It may help if you’re running a PSC steering box, which has a larger bore than a standard box. Beyond that, it probably won’t make much difference. I certainly wouldn’t bother on a stock steering box unless it was ported for a cylinder.

I’m not sure I would call it more durable, but instead higher pressure and most importantly, higher flow. Chances are you will never max out the stock pump flow with a stock box, so changing the pump won’t change much. The extra PSI may provide a small benefit in steering, but I’m not sure it would be enough to notice.

This pump kit exists to supply the high flow rates (at an elevated pressure) for the ram assist kits. Using the stock pump on the ram assist would turn the wheels fine, but only at a certain rate. Imagine trying to turn the steering wheel but you can’t turn it faster than a turn every couple seconds. That’s what these pumps are intended to prevent.

PSC does make a stock replacement pump as well that is well regarded. I would buy that one for a stock box or even a PSC box (without ram assist).

PSC customer support is very responsive if you contact them by phone. They also have other models of pumps not generally advertised (P-pumps, TC pumps, etc.) that could be of some use depending upon the application.

I've switched to the Durango steering gear when my stock tj gear went out. Ran the stock power steering pump with the Durango box for a couple years no difference in steering.. Then my stock pump went out and I put a PSC power steering pump on with the Durango box and my steering was a lot easier to turn.

It may help if you’re running a PSC steering box, which has a larger bore than a standard box. Beyond that, it probably won’t make much difference. I certainly wouldn’t bother on a stock steering box unless it was ported for a cylinder.

I’m not sure I would call it more durable, but instead higher pressure and most importantly, higher flow. Chances are you will never max out the stock pump flow with a stock box, so changing the pump won’t change much. The extra PSI may provide a small benefit in steering, but I’m not sure it would be enough to notice.

This pump kit exists to supply the high flow rates (at an elevated pressure) for the ram assist kits. Using the stock pump on the ram assist would turn the wheels fine, but only at a certain rate. Imagine trying to turn the steering wheel but you can’t turn it faster than a turn every couple seconds. That’s what these pumps are intended to prevent.

PSC does make a stock replacement pump as well that is well regarded. I would buy that one for a stock box or even a PSC box (without ram assist).

PSC customer support is very responsive if you contact them by phone. They also have other models of pumps not generally advertised (P-pumps, TC pumps, etc.) that could be of some use depending upon the application.

Thanks man I really appreciate all the questions you’ve answered for me!

Reactions: Steel City 06
I've switched to the Durango steering gear when my stock tj gear went out. Ran the stock power steering pump with the Durango box for a couple years no difference in steering.. Then my stock pump went out and I put a PSC power steering pump on with the Durango box and my steering was a lot easier to turn.

I though I had a sloppy ZF steering box and just swapped to NEW lares. Now the Lares is acting precisely like the ZF I pulled out... My thoughts are ,that since the adjuster makes no difference, that the power steering pump does not give me enough pressure to the box to make my steering not sloppy as it has to push my ZJ linkage and upgraded knuckles. I use to have pin sharp steering with 33's and 3.5 inch lift, but i swapped to dana 44 and Dana 60 rear and ZJ tie rod/linkage that's heavier and my steering has been sloppy since then. Make me miss the old dana 30 and factory linkage. Anyway I might try this PSC Pump.

I hope this was the pump:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/56112_2011.htm
cause i'm boutta buy it

I though I had a sloppy ZF steering box and just swapped to NEW lares. Now the Lares is acting precisely like the ZF I pulled out... My thoughts are ,that since the adjuster makes no difference, that the power steering pump does not give me enough pressure to the box to make my steering not sloppy as it has to push my ZJ linkage and upgraded knuckles. I use to have pin sharp steering with 33's and 3.5 inch lift, but i swapped to dana 44 and Dana 60 rear and ZJ tie rod/linkage that's heavier and my steering has been sloppy since then. Make me miss the old dana 30 and factory linkage. Anyway I might try this PSC Pump.

Steering response won't change due to swapping in a front axle. What does change is how you set up the steering on the new axle. Post up front pics so we can see what you have.

Steering response won't change due to swapping in a front axle. What does change is how you set up the steering on the new axle. Post up front pics so we can see what you have.

When I swapped axles i also changed from stock tj steering to the ZJ linkage from the guide on here. I had to get a custom rear track bar to fit the Dana 60. All tie rod ends are tight, only thing loose was the steering stabilizer wiggling from bolt/metal sleeve from the axle side mount, I took it out drove it, and put in a new one, drove it. no difference. Tightened the steering box 1/8th turn and it just felt overreactive when it got past the sloppy steering point, not fixing the issue, so I turned it back to the factory. Could it be my caster angle?
When I swapped from the Dana 30 my jeep grew about 1/2 inch of lift all around with the same lift kit installed.

IMG_0916.png

IMG_0917.png

IMG_0918.png

IMG_0919.png

IMG_0920.png

When I swapped axles i also changed from stock tj steering to the ZJ linkage from the guide on here. I had to get a custom rear track bar to fit the Dana 60. All tie rod ends are tight, only thing loose was the steering stabilizer wiggling from bolt/metal sleeve from the axle side mount, I took it out drove it, and put in a new one, drove it. no difference. Tightened the steering box 1/8th turn and it just felt overreactive when it got past the sloppy steering point, not fixing the issue, so I turned it back to the factory. Could it be my caster angle?
When I swapped from the Dana 30 my jeep grew about 1/2 inch of lift all around with the same lift kit installed.

View attachment 338619

View attachment 338618

View attachment 338620

View attachment 338621

View attachment 338622

First time I’ve ever seen someone say they bought a rear dana 60 but used zj steering.