Power steering seems rough and audible clunk after wheeling in mud

Rootabega

2004 jeep wrangler unlimited (LJ)
I when wheeling today and got caught in so pretty wet mud, was dug in to the doors, but we were able to winch her out. Afterwards the power steering seemed rough and I can't turn the wheels very far. There is also an audible thunk when I turn a little left of straight. I had my friend turn the wheel while I looked under it, the whole steering system seems to catch and snap back, which is where the noise is coming from. Any ideas what could be up?

Did you notice any of the steering parts not functioning properly while in motion? Sounds like something is jammed someplace in the linkage.
I didn't notice anything not working properly but I am relitivly new to this, what should I be looking for?

Have you done a dry steering test with someone turning the steering while you're under the front of the vehicle looking for issues?

I didn't notice anything not working properly but I am relitivly new to this, what should I be looking for?
If you put the front axle on jack stands, have somebody move the steering left and right while you look for anything binding while moving, if all looks good then watch the steering shafts as they rotate to make sure they are smooth and have little to no play.

Keep those tires on the ground when you are checking the steering. If they are up and free to move then only huge slop will show up. It needs the resistance of the ground to hold the tires so the slop in a linkage is where the movement is shown.
Also pay attention to the steering box. Erratic movement and/and/or noise in mid-travel could be a broken tooth in the box. Continue looking for problems between the box and the steering wheel. Possible rag joints are going or a location bearing (not the technical term) in the shaft.

We got her fixed today, whent to go crank her up and the battery was dead. Jumped her and let her sit and she would just not hold the charge. We swapped out the battery and she was good as new. Must have did a number on the battery wenching her out.
Any ideas why that affected the steering?

No idea, but this is why I NEVER wheel in mud. Mud is fucking terrible for your vehicle and will cause issues almost every single time. I know some will hate me for saying it, but stay away from mud, unless you really just don't care :LOL:

Thanks for updating us!

No idea, but this is why I NEVER wheel in mud. Mud is fucking terrible for your vehicle and will cause issues almost every single time. I know some will hate me for saying it, but stay away from mud, unless you really just don't care :LOL:

Thanks for updating us!
Yeah after this I think I'm gunna stay away from the mud and stick to the dirt.

Yeah after this I think I'm gunna stay away from the mud and stick to the dirt.

Wise decision! I learned this lesson myself years ago. Mud gets everywhere and messes everything up. I can't think of a single time I went wheeling in the mud where I didn't end up having some sort of issue after I got home (i.e. check engine light, squeaks, squeals, noises, etc.).