Pre-purchase advice and things to look for on a 2006 TJ Unlimited with 100k miles

Kwag

Supporting Member
Hi all,
I’m looking at an 06 LJ auto non rubi that seems to be in good condition with 100,000mi on it. They’re asking around $16,000 and it has a 4in skyjacker (I think short arm) lift.
I’m not familiar with skyjacker stuff so I’m considering that a non factor. Is there anything specific I should ask about in regards to the suspension or mileage?

lastly thoughts on the price?

thank you!

My 06 LJR had a skyjacker lift on it. Any small arm lift is based on components that can easily be returned to stock or replaced with better so if its short arm don't worry if you are willing to replace components. I still have the skyjacker springs but have replaced the shocks and control arms with good stuff.

Biggest concern in buying any TJ is the frame and how much rust is present.

Price seems pretty good if the frame is rust free.

Last edited:
Reactions: SvtLdr
Ask IF the OPDA has ever been replaced or IF the OPDA is the original.
Ask about the issue with the O2 readiness condition for SMOG checks and whether the wiring modification beneath the PDC has been performed.
Ask IF the ECU has been replaced in the 100K miles.
Check the wiring harness for abrasions routed behind the valve cover around the threaded head stud on the drivers side.

Thank you!
Questions asked… will let you guys know.

As far as the lift goes I don’t mind the height just would switch to premium components.

Maintinance and mechanical stuff is no biggie it’s the body and rust stuff I hate. Have enough of that going on around here haha. I also remember these online 6’s going to 250k easy

06 Autos have PCM problems. However, Wranglerfix has a solution.

06s also have issues with the OPDA. If possible have the OPDA pulled and cam gear inspected.

06 Autos have PCM problems. However, Wranglerfix has a solution.

06s also have issues with the OPDA. If possible have the OPDA pulled and cam gear inspected.
100%! We have an ‘06 LJ auto and had to replace the PCM at about 110k miles and the OPDA at about 120k. We got the PCM from Wrangerfix and it was very easy, just a plug in and go.

Just replaced the water pump and O2 senors recently as well.. might be worth asking about those also.. good luck!!

I was too slow on that one!

Yesterday I found an 05 LJ manual with 50k on it, 4 owners, soft top only little to no rust. They’re asking mid 20’s. What do you think this should go for?

Lastly for those who have been looking for these longer than I have… Do you think this pricing is due to COVID and they’ll eventually go down or will this hold? I’m looking to hold on to it for a long while and pass down to my kids but I’m starting to wonder if I should wait until things come back down to normal.

Thanks!

Price may go down or may go up. Just keep looking until you find the one that works for you and meets your wants/needs. Patience is a virtue.

Reactions: SvtLdr
Kwag,

I'd definitely say that prices have jumped since Covid, especially in the last 6 months. I picked up my 2004 LJ with 70k miles, one owner, completely stock, little bit of surface rust, but not bad, for $14.7k. As others say, you never know what will happen with the economy, inflation could keep driving prices up, or we hit a recession.... I'd say an 90 to 110k mile LJ, unmolested, can be found for around 16-19k. Just buy something that lived in the south and if you have to, pay the price to ship it to CT.

Last edited:
Reactions: pc1p
I read through your first link and what I learned is that the re-wire fixes a problem that does not really even exist. The defect is only detectable with a code scanner and has no affect on performance. Even in CA the vehicle can pass smog without it, as long as the technician is aware of the issue. Why did you put that on a short list of important items to check before a purchase?

There have been quite a few members that could not pass SMOG due to the lack of O2 monitoring readiness...
Just passing along the TSB for wiring modifications that will fix this problem.
There are some codes that can be thrown, but are not directly related to the TSB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking Jeeper