dlm1450

My check-engine light is on.
Lifetime Supporting Member
Soooooo.... I bought a 2004 LJ in the fall of 2018. It was my first Wrangler and I had the best intentions. I learned as much as I could about restoring and customizing the rig. I bought books including "Jeep 4.0 Engines: How to Rebuild and Modify" by Larry Shepard and "Jeep TJ 1997-2006: How to Build and Modify" by Michael Hanssen. Both excellent books. I read and highlighted both cover to cover. I fully intended to tear into the build right after I got it. I even went a little nuts during black friday 2018. Bought WAY to many parts. All of which have been taking up A LOT of space in my barn for OVER A YEAR now. And don't forget about the investment potential I lost. If I had put that black friday 2018 money into Tesla stock (at the time $260/share), I could have paid a professional to build a near King of Hammers rig right now (TSLA $784/share, 02/06/20). Anyway, after about 14 months with little to no progress, I bit the bullet and made the best decision a guy with a wife, 2 kids, and a house could make; I turned it over to a professional. That's right, I gave up. There, I said it. Let the healing begin!

My LJ is currently at a shop in Norwalk, CT. For the first time in a long time, progress is being made. It feels good, so good.

DSC_1040.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to The Forum. Can't wait to see what your vision and Briggs execution is going to look like.

This is what it looked like when I brought it home. These pics are AFTER I cleaned it out. It was FULL of stuff when I got it. I filled a 30 gallon trash bag with empty soda bottles, fast food bags, Juul pods (dozens), and other sticky things to include a bloody tank top. I don't mean "bloody" in the expletive adverb British sense; it was bloody in the 80's horror movie sense of the word. The floor was covered in so much sticky stuff I had to scrape some of it off AFTER I pressure washed the interior. The previous owner did leave me some decent, though sticky, jumper cables. Those will come in handy.

DSC_1046(1).jpg

DSC_1049.jpg

DSC_1055(1).jpg

DSC_1060(1).jpg

DSC_1062(1).jpg

DSC_1064(1).jpg

DSC_1065(1).jpg

DSC_1069(1).jpg

DSC_1071(1).jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex01 and bedhed
To say it needed some work would be an understatement. The previous owner "kept it running" and that was about it. After a jump start, the old tractor engine fired right up like it was brand new. Aside from a few leaks, the 110,000 mile engine was in pretty good shape. Nothing a few gaskets and an oil change wouldn't fix.

However, the body and frame left much to be desired. There was rust everywhere. I pushed my finger through the bottom of the frame in several places. Chrysler punched holes in the sides of the frame right behind the rear tire. A perfect place for the tires to throw water in. However, they didn't put any drain holes in the bottom of the frame. Don't worry Chrysler, nature put some holes in the bottom for you. Now the water drains right through.

The LJ's basic needs included:

Air Conditioning Compressor Clutch
Battery
Brake pads
Ball Joints
Cat Back Exhaust
Water Pump
Thermostat
Belt
Sway Bar Bushings and Links
Valve Cover Gasket
Oil Pan Gasket
Tie Rod
Track Bar
Drag Link

So, of course, I took care of the most important thing first. Sweet rims and 35" Nittos!

KMC XD229 Machete Beadlocks 17X9 5X5.0 S-BLK -38MM courtesy of Northridge 4x4
Nitto Trail Grappler M/T 35X11.50 R17 LT 118Q C1 BSW courtesy of Discount Tire Direct

Had these mounted and balanced.

DSC_0044(1).jpg

DSC_0112(1).jpg

DSC_0225(1).jpg

Last edited:
The rims came with unfinished rings so my first executive decision was to paint those black.

First I washed them using the most efficient method I could think of, my dishwasher. Then I rubbed them down with acetone and primed them with etching primer. Next, I turned the heater on in my garage and painted them satin black. I think I used appliance enamel or engine paint. Finally, the pièce de ré·sis·tance, I painted the "XD"logo red.

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0126(1).jpg

On to the good stuff. I took a lot of inspiration from JCR Offroad's Project Ascender. I loved the look and functionality of their bumpers and highline fenders. My goal was to create a low-ish center of gravity rig that could do some crawling but also be driven on the streets without flipping over every time I made a right hand turn.

The following items have already been purchased and area currently being installed:

JCR Offroad
1. Jeep Hi-Line Fenders Steel | Front Vanguard Wide
2. Inner Fender Kit
3. Jeep Tube Fenders Steel or Aluminum | Rear Vanguard Full-Width
4. TJ Corner Armor
5. Rock Sliders | Crusader
6. Rear Bumper | Vanguard Full-Width
7. Tire Carrier | Adventure Bumper Mount
8. Adventure Tire Carrier RotoPax Mount
9. Front Bumper | Mauler Stubby

Everything is in steel except the inner fenders. I would have greatly preferred aluminum but who can afford that???

DSC_0194.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

Last edited:
I need to pause here for a minute and give a shout out to all the contributors on this site. I've gotten a tremendous amount of inspiration here. Without this forum, I don't think I'd end up with a rig I'd be happy with. The thread's on this site have answered so many of my questions and provided guidance in the right direction. The forum has saved me a lot of money (buying and installing "upgrades" I don't need) but, LOL, cost me a lot of money too (I found out I "needed" a tummy tuck).

A final and special shout out to moderator Chris for keeping this thing going and guru's like Jerry and Mr. Blaine for sharing their years of experience and technical know-how. Thanks team!

Reactions: bedhed
Back to the good stuff. My next major purchase was Mr. Blaine's VANCO Super 16" Big Brake Kit w/Master. I'm gonna stop so hard I'll flip over the handlebars.

I also picked up a Rubicrawler from Advanced Adapters. From the web:

"Advance Adapters RubiCrawler reduction gearboxes are essentially 2-speed planetary transmissions that offer a direct drive, plus a 2.72:1 drive. These heavy-duty aluminum-housed units replace the stock 42RLE tailhousing and bolt directly to the stock Jeep transfer case, or an Atlas unit. These true doublers allow you three low-range options: stock regular low range, 2.72:1, and the combined total of the two for extreme crawling."

I love the concept of this thing. It replaces the hollow tail section of your automatic tranny and multiplies your final gear ratio by 2.72. Plus you get a sick new shift lever. This should give me 2.84 (1st gear) x 2.72 (rubicrawler) x 2.72 (xfer case) x 4.88 (axle) = 102.5 (final crawl ratio). Super psyched to see it in action.

Super 16 BBK with Master.jpg

add-rubi-jka_xl.jpg

new_TJ_shifters_one_for_the_rubi_crawler_and_one_for_the_transfer_case.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to keep the stock Dana 44 axle, re-gear (4.88), add a locker (ARB Air Locker) and just beef it up a little (truss, chrome alloy axle, and G2 cover). For the front axle, I opted to swap the Dana 30 for a Dana 44 from G2 (CORE 44 Front Axle Assembly, 4.88 Ratio and ARB Air Locker). I went with the high output compressor ARB CKMA12 so I could refill those 35's.

C4TSFS488ACO-01.jpg

Alpha-image_538X303-1.png

Regarding one of the most controversial topics in off-roading, I went with short arms on this build. Because I'm only adding a 2" lift, I wasn't sure I'd see any benefits to a long arm system. Additionally, as mentioned on this forum, I could see them hanging up on rocks in the right situation. I really wanted the Savvy mid-arm kit but didn't want to change the factory geometry any more than I had to until I actually got everything together and got it out on some trails. Mid-arms will be on my short list of future upgrades after I get a little more experience. After agonizing over the length of my control arms, picking the brand was easy. Living in Connecticut, I had to keep it local and get some Claytons.

:ROFLMAO: Your title sums it up! From one 2004 LJ owner to another, welcome and it's going to be a fun build. FWIW, you're going to love the RubiCrawler. You get three speeds now, and four if you go to a 241 case later. Take lots of notes and pictures as you go. Also, be sure to document the build. That's part of the fun!

iMhfuvT.jpg

Got the big brake kit installed on the front G2 Dana 44 and the rear locker and truss (Motobilt) installed on the rear Dana 44. And my sexy new Poison Spyder cage arrived! Any opinions on cage color? The body will be painted Porsche graphite blue (its a blue-gray color). I'm thinking satin black on the cage (to match my powder-coated JCR bumpers).

ATT00001 (2).jpg

ATT00001 (3).jpg

Rear axle with locker and truss.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bedhed
Wholly Fudge Balls! you have no chill, you just went full mod mode, didn't dip your toe in the water at all, just jumped in all at once. Good for you! Enjoy it.

Reactions: Blondie70
Wholly Fudge Balls! you have no chill, you just went full mod mode, didn't dip your toe in the water at all, just jumped in all at once. Good for you! Enjoy it.
It's just too tempting! I keep thinking "while the axle is out for the truss, I may as well regear and put a locker in... ...and there will never be a better time to throw a new genright tank in there... ...and while the tank is out I should put a fuel pump access panel in..."

Reactions: Tray Burge
It's just too tempting! I keep thinking "while the axle is out for the truss, I may as well regear and put a locker in... ...and there will never be a better time to throw a new genright tank in there... ...and while the tank is out I should put a fuel pump access panel in..."
Keep us updated, looks to be an interesting build and can't wait to see the end results! I'll have to admit though, I cringed when I saw those gorgeous aluminum bead locks in the dishwasher and then painted 😱. Hey, but this is YOUR build, not mine. Love it.

Reactions: Chris S
Keep us updated, looks to be an interesting build and can't wait to see the end results! I'll have to admit though, I cringed when I saw those gorgeous aluminum bead locks in the dishwasher and then painted 😱. Hey, but this is YOUR build, not mine. Love it.
I know, I know. That paints going to get peeled off by the first rock it meets. I just want to get one good vanity Pic at the mall before I destroy it at Rausch Creek.