Project input or help with a dilemma please

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
I think it's a good start. They only have less than 3000 followers. So it's not like the entire internet is going to see it. But if you want to start doing this sort of thing. It's not going to hurt.

I would look for channels with much higher subscribers and offer your brake kits to them for review. In addition to this one. Use whatever press you've gotten to sell them. Youtube is one of our "national papers" if you will. It's time the world started hearing about your brakes.

Facebook groups are a great resource too. Up until 6 months ago. I sold a tool kit. I found that one of the largest venues for my kit was a facebook group dedicated to building the items that my tools were used for. I offered the owner a set of tools in exchange for permission to market my sales on his group. It proved very fruitful. I made a large amount of my sales that way. I wasn't overly pushy about it. I posted a sale about once a week. Or once every other week. Simple sales. Like free shipping. Or a small discount.

Grassroots like this is the way to go. When you have a direct to consumer product. You'll be amazed at how much your sales will increase. If you can identify the largest venues for showing your product. And you have the simple advantage of having the best on the market. For a very reasonable cost.

I think it's a good start. They only have less than 3000 followers. So it's not like the entire internet is going to see it. But if you want to start doing this sort of thing. It's not going to hurt.

I would look for channels with much higher subscribers and offer your brake kits to them for review. In addition to this one. Use whatever press you've gotten to sell them. Youtube is one of our "national papers" if you will. It's time the world started hearing about your brakes.

Facebook groups are a great resource too. Up until 6 months ago. I sold a tool kit. I found that one of the largest venues for my kit was a facebook group dedicated to building the items that my tools were used for. I offered the owner a set of tools in exchange for permission to market my sales on his group. It proved very fruitful. I made a large amount of my sales that way. I wasn't overly pushy about it. I posted a sale about once a week. Or once every other week. Simple sales. Like free shipping. Or a small discount.

Grassroots like this is the way to go. When you have a direct to consumer product. You'll be amazed at how much your sales will increase. If you can identify the largest venues for showing your product. And you have the simple advantage of having the best on the market. For a very reasonable cost.
This isn't new. I've always been receptive to helping most folks out. We've given away in the neighborhood of a 100 grand worth of stuff over the years to raffles, projects, etc. We are a member of LJ Nation and give them a specific code to use that generates a discount. I do the code thing so I can see where the effectiveness lies by who uses the code. LJN so far is responsible for 3 sales if that puts FB in perspective.

I don't actively source folks to give shit to.

One of the first rules of marketing is knowing where your customer base is coming from, I.e. how and where did they hear about you. This lets you know which sources generate the most business and how changes to your marketing, product or business affect those lead sources. My first suggestion is you start asking on your site how did a customer hear about you during their checkout process. Tracking this metric will let you know where to put your marketing dollars/time.

I don't see a significant downside with this particular opportunity for 2 reasons:

1.Their subscribers are not watching to NOT buy what they use. So now you have access to their subscriber base who is likely to follow their suggestions and recommendations.

2. Knowledgeable wheelers/builders are not on their channel to get product knowledge or advice. The ones that know or are studying to know how to do things right will gravitate to forums where you're widely know to be am expert, which will override any negative association with this couple and their channel. (I suspect this word of mouth through forums and knowledgeable people is how most of your business is generated anyway).

Will there be a few people that cut of their nose to spite their face because they think you "sold out" on this partnership? Probably, but fuck those few when you get access to far more customers. Plus, your not advocating their build, your merely providing them with the best braking solution fkr their build.

Blaine, I really don't think you can tarnish your reputation or customer base in the wheeling/building community unless you did something really fucking stupid-and this ain't that.

I say do it and start getting your product to mass market. Its about time the general Jeep community heard about your product and realizes how much better it is than the shit that is currently touted as being the best right now.

From the other thread: "So, if I understood marketing, I wouldn't be asking the question. "

I get that, but as I mentioned, I believe (as most others) you have a great reputation, I do not think folks will think negatively about the donation or assume you've approved of dropping 38s on a stock TJ.
From a marketing perspective, ol yoga pants is going to say your name, link your site, and promote you. Personally, I didn't know who the hell you were before buying my TJ, I've had CJs before but never got deep into the Jeep world. You are going to reach part of the market who have no clue who you are, some may not see the cost v. reward of your products, but the seed has been planted.
The folks who know you won't think you've gone off your rocker.

On one hand you get some free advertising.

On the other hand, you're associated with douche-baggery.

Maybe I'm just being harsh, I haven't had my grits yet :LOL:

@AndyG, what say you?

• Haha
Reactions: RMETeeJay
From the other thread: "So, if I understood marketing, I wouldn't be asking the question. "

I get that, but as I mentioned, I believe (as most others) you have a great reputation, I do not think folks will think negatively about the donation or assume you've approved of dropping 38s on a stock TJ.
From a marketing perspective, ol yoga pants is going to say your name, link your site, and promote you. Personally, I didn't know who the hell you were before buying my TJ, I've had CJs before but never got deep into the Jeep world. You are going to reach part of the market who have no clue who you are, some may not see the cost v. reward of your products, but the seed has been planted.
The folks who know you won't think you've gone off your rocker.
I may include a caveat that they have to say that while I don't wholly agree with tires that size on the Rubi 44 axles, if you are going to do it, at least do it in a way that will help you stay safe.

Reactions: D M
"I don't actively source folks to give shit to. "

You should. But it should be based on how many eyes they have on their channel, forum, page what have you. And how many sales you get out of it. If it isn't generating sales. Stop doing it. That's basically how marketing works. You say that your a marketing moron. But if you apply that simple formula it will pay off.

(I know I seem like a poor broke asshole. But at one time I owned a private investigation firm worth 1-2m a year in revenue. (The 2000's were very good to me. The teens not so much. lol.) And my tool company was very successful in a very small market. Simply by contacting the two largest venues for my product. And getting them to agree to show my product. And/or sell it there.)

It's a numbers game. And if the numbers don't add up. It's not worth doing.

Don't waste your time on entities that don't generate sales. Identify the top 5 or 10 places with the largest audience. And concentrate on them. As high as your reputation is in the hardcore Jeep community. It should be a no brainer for any youtube channel to take you seriously and review your product. Same goes for any FB group or forum.

I don't think this youtube channel will hurt you. But I don't think they have that big of an audience to help you that much either. Not alot of risk. Not alot of reward though either.

Reactions: JMT and D M
improving your market is never bad. what it cost to what it generates is the risk.
in this instance whats on the table 2k of your equipment vs how many times your mentioned how accurate they are about the product and how big they display your logo in the background of that upgrade video. and a link to your site in the caption. how many sys to you have to move to recoup that cost and add some measure of profit. can/will this platform give that return.

if it's the douche-baggery (or don't wanna be associated with a dumb ass) Chris mentions. i guess the next question is, is there as spectrum of dumb ass you'll tolerate? what if Nate asked?

On one hand you get some free advertising.

On the other hand, you're associated with douche-baggery.

Maybe I'm just being harsh, I haven't had my grits yet :LOL:

@AndyG, what say you?
This couple seems to understand they have a lot more to do, they don’t understand the extent though. They will learn and they might as well not have to worry about brakes.

I would guess they’ll end up with power stop brakes.

This couple seems to understand they have a lot more to do, they don’t understand the extent though. They will learn and they might as well not have to worry about brakes.

I would guess they’ll end up with power stop brakes.

I wonder if @toximus knew that all this time he could have just put his 37s on his rig without all the work and effort he's been through :ROFLMAO:

I'm looking at that build of theirs, and I'm really thinking it would look good with Power Stop brakes, red brake calipers, and cross drilled rotors ;)

improving your market is never bad. what it cost to what it generates is the risk.
in this instance whats on the table 2k of your equipment vs how many times your mentioned how accurate they are about the product and how big they display your logo in the background of that upgrade video. and a link to your site in the caption. how many sys to you have to move to recoup that cost and add some measure of profit. can/will this platform give that return.

if it's the douche-baggery (or don't wanna be associated with a dumb ass) Chris mentions. i guess the next question is, is there as spectrum of dumb ass you'll tolerate? what if Nate asked?
We expect a cost burden for advertising of some amount and they are invoiced with a N/C amount so that goes on the books under advertising and gets written off.

I don't know that I put them in the DB category yet. As to what I will tolerate, it depends on the day. I look hard for value and it doesn't take much for me to be all in.

If I were an ass, I would send them a full set of Power Stop crap and have them install and test, and then install and test my stuff. They don't have the balls and I'm not that much of an ass, yet.
If I were them I’d try to get tied in with Power Stop for the trail to SEMA. That’s a huge boost for youtubers. Even with a sub par product that will get them to where they want to go.

The smartest thing Milestar tires did was get them on the litebrite rig.

all their mods are superficial. and the opportunity may also exist to influence the outcome of the build. with some sound advice, should they recognize whats in front of them. this leads to potential tangents.

Reactions: Apparition
Marketing through social media videos may turn out to be quite productive for you, but I don't think donating product to this particular couple will bring the results you desire. If you have an extra brake kit you don't need or want or can afford to light on fire then maybe, but I doubt these people will make money for you.

Be patient; find someone else.

BTW, although I do not have direct personal experience with this particular type of marketing, my son who currently lives and works in Berlin, earns quite a good living working with social media "influencers" and producing product videos (when not quarantined or locked down). At my request, he just watched the sample video referenced (38" tires with no lift). He thinks you can do better. One of his comments by phone was, "Dad, I can't imagine any of your jeeping buddies buying anything those two pitch."

Marketing through social media videos may turn out to be quite productive for you, but I don't think donating product to this particular couple will bring the results you desire. If you have an extra brake kit you don't need or want or can afford to light on fire then maybe, but I doubt these people will make money for you.

Be patient; find someone else.

BTW, although I do not have direct personal experience with this particular type of marketing, my son who currently lives and works in Berlin, earns quite a good living working with social media "influencers" and producing product videos (when not quarantined or locked down). At my request, he just watched the sample video referenced (38" tires with no lift). He thinks you can do better. One of his comments by phone was, "Dad, I can't imagine any of your jeeping buddies buying anything those two pitch."
I suspect he is correct. I also know that a mighty oak tree starts with but a single acorn and even a blind squirrel can find one of those now and again.

Reactions: Apparition
Perhaps put it out there that this could be an ongoing video series of what not to do?

So in this video, they did what a lot of folks do first because it looks rad. You could pitch the idea that they go out to some rocks and video what is hitting what parts on the suspension. 'Oh, OK. If we want to do some crawling, we're going to need A, B & C. Be sure to watch the rest of the videos in our series!'.