Project input or help with a dilemma please

Maybe it's time for me to make a YouTube video for how I can make my TJ pop and spit flames.

The question is, will I get a big brake kit to go along with it? ;)

This is exactly why I do not and will not accept any sort of sponsors for my builds. I don't want to build stupid stuff to get views and sponsors. I'm not interested in playing with stupid to be successful. I build what I want to build and say what I think about stuff that I spent my own money on. Period.

Reactions: DrDmoney
If anyone wants marketing ideas , follow Jay Abraham...he is on youtube ...he made the product "icy hot"a house hold name. Bought it for 250,000, sold for 13 million. He is extremely good.

How about George Foreman and the Foreman Grill?

Reactions: AndyG
This is exactly why I do not and will not accept any sort of sponsors for my builds. I don't want to build stupid stuff to get views and sponsors. I'm not interested in playing with stupid to be successful. I build what I want to build and say what I think about stuff that I spent my own money on. Period.

I'm with you on that 100%. Which is why I dislike Lightbright and most of these other YouTube "personalities".

At some point I'm sure they were genuine, but once you get that heavy level of "sponsorship" involved, that's where it starts going downhill. Of course some of them were downhill from the start, but you catch my drift.

That's a shame though, I'm sure you could have gotten Metalcloak to give you a "Lock-n-Load" long arm as part of a sponsorship ;)

Reactions: xxdabroxx
I think the risk of being associated with them outweighs the potential rewards for several reasons.

1.) They have no clue what they are doing based on the 38s/no lift video and could portray your products in a bad light due to their own incompetence or lack of understanding. Who would do the install? Would you have a say in who does it?

2.) Their market segment is millenials and younger. Few millenials own TJs. Even fewer would choose a product other than what the shop doing the work recommends. I assume almost no millenials and younger folks do their own wrenching.

3.) Do you want a bunch of millenials calling constantly asking really dumb questions?

I hate to generalize a whole group of people and I know some younger folks are capable and enjoy doing their own wrenching (e.g. my son). But by and large, they do a good job of perpetuating the stereotypes, IMO.

I think there's a sweet spot to get some cheaper parts for your build from the brands you want to use. Unless you sign a contract you can still be truthful and use whatever you want. Like are people really paying retail for these Genright tracer chassis??

As a guy with a strong background in marketing and SEO, some would say “any marketing is good marketing”.

To take a page out of the @jjvw playbook, is any marketing good marketing? 😉

Whatever it is I'm selling, I'm certainly not the one making the money. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Chris

Me too! Maybe someday I can turn down a prospective sponsor. :)

I think there's a sweet spot to get some cheaper parts for your build from the brands you want to use. Unless you sign a contract you can still be truthful and use whatever you want. Like are people really paying retail for these Genright tracer chassis??

The further I build the more I realize how small the offroad community is. As you progress up from "neighborhood wheeling" everyone knows everyone.

Today presented a perfect example of why I don't want to be sponsored:

On my new Genright fuel cell I noticed one of the rollover vents leak when the tank is full. I called up Genright and explained the problem. They told me that the part is available on their website. I further explained that I didn't break the part, it's a faulty part because it's leaking between the vent and the gasket and can they warranty it for me. He said that they don't warranty them because they're from MOPAR. So I asked if I can warranty it through MOPAR and he said that they buy them in bulk and they sit on their shelf for a long time and I can't warranty it through MOPAR. I again asked that since I bought the part from them and it's a bad part can they help me out. The answer was to buy one off their website. So now I have to pay $30 for the vent plus another $20 on shipping for a bad part they sent me that honestly I think is a safety concern and probably costs them no more than $10.

If I was sponsored by Genright do you think I'd have a bad taste in my mouth and understand how they treat paying customers?

The further I build the more I realize how small the offroad community is. As you progress up from "neighborhood wheeling" everyone knows everyone.

Today presented a perfect example of why I don't want to be sponsored:

On my new Genright fuel cell I noticed one of the rollover vents leak when the tank is full. I called up Genright and explained the problem. They told me that the part is available on their website. I further explained that I didn't break the part, it's a faulty part because it's leaking between the vent and the gasket and can they warranty it for me. He said that they don't warranty them because they're from MOPAR. So I asked if I can warranty it through MOPAR and he said that they buy them in bulk and they sit on their shelf for a long time and I can't warranty it through MOPAR. I again asked that since I bought the part from them and it's a bad part can they help me out. The answer was to buy one off their website. So now I have to pay $30 for the vent plus another $20 on shipping for a bad part they sent me that honestly I think is a safety concern and probably costs them no more than $10.

If I was sponsored by Genright do you think I'd have a bad taste in my mouth and understand how they treat paying customers?
The reason it leaks is the grommet is a sloppy fit in the hole. Tighten up the fit, the leak will stop.

Now that I'm completely derailing your thread, any suggestions of what to use?
A smaller hole works perfectly. Barring that, you can increase the OD of the body of the check valve with some silicone fusion tape, put some fuel safe sealant on it and shove it in the hole. Once you play with the valve a bit, it is easy to see what's wrong.

Reactions: toximus
I may include a caveat that they have to say that while I don't wholly agree with tires that size on the Rubi 44 axles, if you are going to do it, at least do it in a way that will help you stay safe.
Blaine, what is your comfort level on giving them the parts? What is your gut saying? You are very perceptive about people in general, so do you think you would actually lose any potential customers?

Blaine, what is your comfort level on giving them the parts? What is your gut saying? You are very perceptive about people in general, so do you think you would actually lose any potential customers?
My initial reaction was the same as all the sponsor requests, skeptical. I always follow up with a reply asking about some aspect to weed out the folks just looking to see if I hand out free shit willy-nilly.

The response was well written and no red flags. My mistake was not going and watching the video linked. Had I done that first, I would have never replied to the email.

I think you'd be better off giving a set to the Trail recon guys as their latest video already has closer to 40k views and all they did was upgrade tailgate hinges.

You've got to look at it as what it costs to get to "X" number of viewers eyes. I haven't priced a BBK but I'm guessing at 3k views you're looking at about $0.50 per view. Not cheap advertising.

Sawstop is a great example of youtube marketing gone wild. If it weren't for them giving nearly every youtube woodworker with more than 50k subscribers a brand new saw they wouldn't be as big as they are now. Now every video those youtubers make has a shiny new sawstop saw in it.

Your brake kits on the other hand won't have the continued views every time they make a video with that Jeep, they will get mentioned once and never be seen again. Now if you had them put a black magic brakes sticker in the windshield it would start to sway the other way again with the continued views in the future.
This ^

Reactions: Midnight LJR
^^^^ this says a lot right here. 2 threads and 10 pages...nobody in this community would be swayed if the brake sys gained popularity with the pavement pounders. the reputation is established.

not 1 single off road application customer would be swayed because this sys is on a mall crawler. on the other hand there are 1000's that run big wheels and heavy rigs that think they do not need the sys because it's for off road use.

our opinion of these people is moot, if they can relate accurate product information and generate any sales is the real question.

dumb, uneducated on the subject, indifferent, show off...........bottom line is these people spend a lot of $. do you want a piece of it? and how big of a piece could this particular platform net?

^^^^ this says a lot right here. 2 threads and 10 pages...nobody in this community would be swayed if the brake sys gained popularity with the pavement pounders. the reputation is established.

not 1 single off road application customer would be swayed because this sys is on a mall crawler. on the other hand there are 1000's that run big wheels and heavy rigs that think they do not need the sys because it's for off road use.

our opinion of these people is moot, if they can relate accurate product information and generate any sales is the real question.

dumb, uneducated on the subject, indifferent, show off...........bottom line is these people spend a lot of $. do you want a piece of it? and how big of a piece could this particular platform net?
I've considered inviting them to the threads to justify their position(s)/existence but I'd rather not be the cause of that much potential drama. On the other hand, I'd feel some better for all the times others have done similar.

I've considered inviting them to the threads to justify their position(s)/existence but I'd rather not be the cause of that much potential drama. On the other hand, I'd feel some better for all the times others have done similar.

Pretty please, I'm starting to miss Leah and Flame-Boy. We could use a little drama right now...

• Haha
My initial reaction was the same as all the sponsor requests, skeptical. I always follow up with a reply asking about some aspect to weed out the folks just looking to see if I hand out free shit willy-nilly.

The response was well written and no red flags. My mistake was not going and watching the video linked. Had I done that first, I would have never replied to the email.
I would try to reach out to the Trailrecon guys. They have mentioned they plan on doing a 4 inch lift with a body lift to fit 35's. Seems like they want to at least build it the right way and not get click bate. They also mention trying to lighten up his jk and his friend marco's truck (ovrlndx) which maybe you could also help with. These guys seem more reputable in my mind then most others.