Project Jackass

um·bra
ˈəmbrə
n.

"1590s, "phantom, ghost," a figurative use from Latin umbra "shade,shadow"

Reactions: Chris
Jackass tried to kill me again.
(It was really my fault for driving with my head up my ass. Or was it?)

I bowed to the peer pressure and group think of this forum, removed the JK 18s and had the 15 Canyons installed with new tires.

20170504_115034.jpg

Apparently, Jackass was very unhappy about it and dumped me into a ditch 2 hours later.

image1.jpg

(It looks MUCH worse than it actually was, It kinda sloooowly tipped, but considering the overall "evil jeep" theme of this thread, I have to over dramatize a bit...consider it a "reality TV" thread :) )

I got Jackass back to the house and after a few hours, fired him up for about 5 seconds. Lots of smoke (and I thought I heard an evil cackle) so I shut it down and let it sit overnight giving all of the fluids (blood? acid?) run back into the right spots.

The next day, I checked all the fluid levels then I pulled the plugs and bumped the ignition a few times. No oil or gas so I put in new plugs and an air filter. He fired right up and purred like the murderous, predatory black panther that he is.

(Thanks to Jerry!!)

Considering the circumstances, damage was light.

20170504_115231.jpg

That's pretty much it. I assume Jackass tried to assassinate me without really hurting himself too much. It didn't even break the mirror on the door.

I got it running and took it out for a spin, 4 miles or so and no problems. Nothing grinding or clanking and everything working as it should.

Ironically, I already had new CAPA certified fenders ($105 each!!! I love Amazon) due to weird rust issues I mentioned previously.

20170504_115133.jpg

I've got the drivers side fender ALMOST off, but considering this is Jackass, 1 bolt refuses to let go.
So later today, more fire and destruction. Torch and a BFH, rubber version for the hood.

(And all the youtube vids and "other forum" guys telling you how easy it is to replace a fender are LYING!! "It takes about an hour and you only remove 8 bolts" BALONEY!!)

Wish me luck. If you never hear from me again, don't ever buy a tan over black 99 TJ 4.0 that you think you hear growling a little when you are looking at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Travis
Sorry one of your first test drives with the new shoes was such a flop, literally. Really like the new look, though. Not a fan of any of the JK stuff on a TJ.

Good luck with the fender project. Are those already painted black like your Jeep, or is that black primer?

Reactions: Umbra
Primer in a satin. Mrs. Umbra wants to go all satin...hmmmm.
I've got some matching rattle can Chrysler black. Since there really is very little visible surface on the fenders, I may try it.
Rattle can paint and nozzles are sooo much better than they used to be, the possibility is there.
I'm pondering.

Jackass is silent on his paint preference. Do you think the satin paint would make him more satinic?
(Yeah, that's bad. Couldn't stop myself)

Last edited:
Any chance you could have an exorcism performed on Jackass? He obviously has it out for you. I keep waiting for his grill to spin 180 and puke trany fluid all over you!

Any chance you could have an exorcism performed on Jackass? He obviously has it out for you. I keep waiting for his grill to spin 180 and puke trany fluid all over you!

That's something I hadn't thought of.

You think I'd need a priest or a witch doctor? Maybe a Native American Shaman?
Chiropractor? Leprechaun?

I'll have to google.

Last edited:
A few flames and some WD40...the fender was free!
20170506_152959.jpg

Lots of little doo-dads to remove on the drivers side to get it loose. Lots of wire attachments, and more bolts than you'd think.
Not to mention (which nobody ever does) the flare extension attache to the door. Washer jug, horns etc.
I'd guess it took me about 3-4 hours total to get it off with just hand tools. With the damage, the 4 bolts into the fire wall were a real ***** to get to.

But this is Jackass, so a better tempered Jeep may not take as long.

Here's the new one. I've got half the bolts in loosely, and still have to get the internals re-attached.

20170506_161421.jpg

20170506_161412.jpg

Not bad. Fits fairly well, however the bolt holes on the inside rear (by the labels) aren't even close. Trying to decide whether to drill and put 'em in or just fill the holes. It's really sturdy without them and I still have more to install. I'll wait and see.

It looks like all the engine bay stuff will go back in the right spots, but they're still loose 'til tomorrow.

So far it's going waaay to smoothly.

That ****** is up to something. I know he's plotting.

Reactions: Funjeepen and Chris
It's been an adventure, Damned Donkey Jeep.

I worked on him some this weekend.

I finally finished with the fender...
20170522_175557.jpg

Not bad. I had to drill some new holes and insert some sheet metal screws to completely mount the washer jug and horns.
Things didn't line up perfectly.
I'll try the Omix stuff next time...maybe the hood.
Got a new fender and door flares as well. I rattle canned the fender (Mopar PX8 black) then wet sanded and polished. Came out pretty good, but now it looks better than the rest of the Jeep. :) Since I had to replace the flare, I went ahead and hit all of them with some Krylon satin black so they'd all match. I still need to go back over them with a light scuff pad to knock down the shinier spots and even the paint out a little. It went on really well on all the flares except on the new one. Weird. Scuff pad should take care of that though.
While I was at it, I went ahead and hit the front and back bumpers with some paint, and also Kryloned some other plastic pieces since I had plenty left over.

20170522_175701.jpg

I got the hood banged out enough to close it securely. It's finally gotten above 50 degrees and stopped raining every 30 minutes, so I put the top down and took off. I ran him around for a few hours and have no near death experiences to report.

HOWEVER, since this is a cursed Jackass of a Jeep, I broke or had to cut the damn zippers on the windows to get them out. The end pieces of the zippers had corroded bad enough they wouldn't let go. The back window zipper had separated and the top had frayed so pieces of material had jammed it. I just cut 'em out.
So the top just stays down 'til I replace it.
I guess Jackass really wants to run around topless exposing himself to people. Freak.

I also replaced the relay for the ac/heater blower...still no luck. Switch coming, I'll try that next.
I still have to tackle the passenger side fender too. Should be a little easier since there isn't much mounted to that side, and the battery tray should come out fairly easy.

If Jackass doesn't cripple me first.

Last edited:
I rattle canned the fender (Mopar PX8 black) then wet sanded and polished. Came out pretty good, but now it looks better than the rest of the Jeep. :)
Can you tell me what grit you used to wet sand, and what type of polish? I rattle can painted a couple of spots on my Rubicon, and the paint came out fine, but the clear coat needs a bit more shine to it to match the rest of the Jeep. I noticed your fender is pretty glossy.

I can't swear, but I think it was 1000 (coulda been 800)and I add a teeny tiny bit of dish soap to the spray bottle to help lubricate it a bit.
The polish was Meguiers scratch remover followed by ultimate using a hand buffer.
I like mothers polishes too.
I haven't waxed yet, should shine it up a little more.

The rattle can paint has a tendency to "wave" at you a little 'til you polish it ,I think because of the aerosols.

**Edit: I also swapped the nozzle off of the Mopar can. It sucked. I used the nozzle off of some duplicolor. It lays the paint out more evenly.

Last edited:
I have always been under the impression that possessed cars fix themselves. I guess Stephen King lied to me.
Or maybe it's only possessed Plymouths.

They are both Mopar, technically so maybe...
I haven't tried pushing it around in a junkyard to see if the odometer starts backing up.

But now that you bring it up, some of the dents seem smaller and I've been a little grumpy lately

latest?cb=20170219003026.gif

Reactions: VirtualRussel
Oh yeah! Forgot that part.
And I remember I'll have to start calling everyone a "Shitter" and date a hot cheerleader.

I'm gonna go see if I can find a fat bully to run over.

Shoulda thought of this sooner. Woulda been a lot cheaper this way.