psrivats' 2005 TJ Rubicon mild build

It really turned out looking good as I mentioned early.

I mean shit, I never knew steelies could look that good :LOL:

Reactions: psrivats
Damn I feel for all of you folks who have this vibration issue. That is just crazy and the amount of work you all have had to go thru is just crazy. But I'm sure it feels great now that the problem is solved.

It's a very frustrating problem in the sense that there is no predicting if a Jeep will be affected by it ahead of time. I have done literally *everything* that is possible to address them, including opening up the tcase and trans and looking at the internals. I replaced so many parts (e.g harmonic balancer on the engine). Multiple driveshaft balance checks. Bearings, yokes replaced. I really, really wanted to find the root cause. But nothing worked. I should have known that Blaine would have tried all this and more in how methodical he is. But for whatever reason my rig had the vibrations really bad. Just ask Dave Kishpaugh or @Chris who drove it. The were some changes that did help. Heavier skid plate, sound deadening the tub, paying very close attention to pinion angles.

Only after my suspension upgrade and the subsequent rubicrawler install did it got to the point where removing the front drive shaft made the vibes go away. That is when I realized there was light at the end of the tunnel. Before that the vibes would minimize but not disappear with either shaft out.

I thought about selling the rig many times. I am glad I did not. What kept me from selling was (a) I could not imagine re-building another Jeep from scratch (b) I had no energy to search for another Jeep (c) no guarantee another Jeep will not vibrate too (d) everything in this Jeep had been gone through. Known devil and whatnot.

Last edited:
It really turned out looking good as I mentioned early.

I mean shit, I never knew steelies could look that good :LOL:

The body shop I mentioned is phenomenal. I was amazed when I saw the first one. You should see the muscle car they are restoring. I'll send you a pic over email later.

Reactions: Chris
Here is a decent before and after from about the same parking spot. Wish I had thought to take a better planned before/after photo!

The TJ Moab 16" is one of best looking Jeep wheels imo. If not for my vibes, I would have never changed them. All the factory wheel designs are pretty nice looking except the "Gambler". That looks a bit odd.

IMG_20200905_153254.jpg

PXL_20201219_194023692.jpg

Last edited:
Those KO2's do fill in nicer IMO. Looks good sir.

About 1" taller but since I went to a 15x8 wheel, the larger sidewall makes it look much bigger. Damn optical illusion!!

I'm just hoping I can get by with the 4.88s. Will know more as I drive it over the mountain for my snowshoeing trips.

@psrivats - thanks for sharing your build and references to other builds. Not sure what took me so long to join the group?? I have a 2003 Rubicon that has a whopping 26k miles on it. After sinking enough money into my wife's 2007 JK Rubicon I've decided to turn my focus on my Jeep. Someone once told me "either you own it, or it owns you", so time for a my build. I can already tell this is the right forum/group to be in because of the quality comments, photos, how to's, etc. I too am interested in getting to quality dispersed campsites and scenic off-roading, but nothing excessive. My build will start in March with a local Jeep shop.

1. Barricade Trail Force front bumper (already installed)
  2. Redrock side armor (already installed)
  3. TeraFlex 2.5-3" lift
  4. Bilstein 5100 front/rear shocks
  5. Rear bumper with tire carrier - brand tbd
  6. Gobi Rack (Ranger) for my Tepui RTT
  7. KC or PIAA LED's (4) for rack
  8. TJ Rail Pack for holding iPad, phone, etc.
  9. Winch - brand tbd
I read with great interest a lot of the comments about additional suspension tweaks so I have my homework cut out for me. That and a lot of other suggestions in threads. I want to thank all of the members as well.

IMG_5426.jpg

TJ Rubicon.JPG

@psrivats - thanks for sharing your build and references to other builds. Not sure what took me so long to join the group?? I have a 2003 Rubicon that has a whopping 26k miles on it. After sinking enough money into my wife's 2007 JK Rubicon I've decided to turn my focus on my Jeep. Someone once told me "either you own it, or it owns you", so time for a my build. I can already tell this is the right forum/group to be in because of the quality comments, photos, how to's, etc. I too am interested in getting to quality dispersed campsites and scenic off-roading, but nothing excessive. My build will start in March with a local Jeep shop.

1. Barricade Trail Force front bumper (already installed)
  2. Redrock side armor (already installed)
  3. TeraFlex 2.5-3" lift
  4. Bilstein 5100 front/rear shocks
  5. Rear bumper with tire carrier - brand tbd
  6. Gobi Rack (Ranger) for my Tepui RTT
  7. KC or PIAA LED's (4) for rack
  8. TJ Rail Pack for holding iPad, phone, etc.
  9. Winch - brand tbd
I read with great interest a lot of the comments about additional suspension tweaks so I have my homework cut out for me. That and a lot of other suggestions in threads. I want to thank all of the members as well.

View attachment 211954

View attachment 211955

Welcome to the forum! You are in the right spot. There is lots of useful information here and very knowledgeable members. We can help you with your build, ask questions and read and learn as much as you can before you spend your hard earned money!

Looking forward to seeing your build in 2021 !

About 1" taller but since I went to a 15x8 wheel, the larger sidewall makes it look much bigger. Damn optical illusion!!

I'm just hoping I can get by with the 4.88s. Will know more as I drive it over the mountain for my snowshoeing trips.

I ran 35" tires with a 4 popper & 4.88 gears so I'm fairly sure you'll be OK. Might not be the BEST ratio but it works.

Where you going for your snowshoeing trips? Mt Hood or up in my neck of the woods? Snoqualmie Pass area?

I ran 35" tires with a 4 popper & 4.88 gears so I'm fairly sure you'll be OK. Might not be the BEST ratio but it works.

Where you going for your snowshoeing trips? Mt Hood or up in my neck of the woods? Snoqualmie Pass area?

Mt Hood area mostly since no real planning is required, just get up and drive. I'm hoping to come to Leavenworth area if friends join.

Your Jeep looks great and has come a long ways. Just remember to turn off the O/D and you should be fine with the 4.88 gears for now.

Reactions: psrivats
I'm just hoping I can get by with the 4.88s.
I too hope it’s livable for you. I have 5.13 gears on the same 33x10.5x15 KO2 and 42RLE. In town and on flat roads it is great, night and day difference from the original 4.10 gears. On the rolling highways I now wish I would have gone with 5.38.

I too hope it’s livable for you. I have 5.13 gears on the same 33x10.5x15 KO2 and 42RLE. In town and on flat roads it is great, night and day difference from the original 4.10 gears. On the rolling highways I now wish I would have gone with 5.38.

That's my big fear. I drive a lot on the mountain roads near Mt Hood esp in the summer. Let's see how it goes

I need to regear, I'm going to go 5.38 because I have read several experiences like yours.

Welcome to the forum! You are in the right spot. There is lots of useful information here and very knowledgeable members. We can help you with your build, ask questions and read and learn as much as you can before you spend your hard earned money!

Looking forward to seeing your build in 2021 !
Thank you. This forum is addictive. Lol. I will be asking questions as certain parts of the build I hope to do myself. But when it comes to suspension, axles, etc. I am limited by lack of a shop, time and tools.

Finally had my local shop fix the fuel fill back splash issue. It has been slowly getting worse over the past few months. The fix described below did the trick. It's nice to not have to worry about spills while filling up gas any more.

One advantage of new wheels .. I don't have to worry about valve stem damage any more 😆

PXL_20201220_174620867.NIGHT.jpg

(Yes, I am getting longer studs. The shop has assured me there is enough thread engagement and these are ok for the time being).

One issue I ran into was that my usual ARB hose/chuck is now too long to fit. I was wondering what to do, but I found out that luckily my old milton 503 air chuck still fits. I have had this for like 12+ years! I used to drive a tiny scooter when I was in grad school and I bought this used at a yard sale super cheap to use with a shop compressor my buddy had at the time. Anyone else has one of these?

61Oh64TG48L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zebra12 and Wildman