psrivats' 2005 TJ Rubicon mild build

Went to the local Jeep doctor today. Dave cycled the axles. The 4.75" bs wheels definitely help. There is a little bit of contact with the flares at very extreme articulation, and fixing that will just need a little bit of trimming at two very specific spots in inside area of the front and rear flares. Otherwise things are all good. We did not do anything today but it's great to know that 33s still pretty much are good to go without any needed extra bumpstop than what I already have.

I need to think if I want to stay with 4.88s. I clearly feel the difference compared to before on hwy driving. Not going to do anything for now though, next summer is when I'll decide.

BMB pads still are quite effective even with 33s. Had one hard braking situation on the hwy today and they did the job.

PXL_20201225_014832458.jpg
PXL_20201225_023430964.jpg
PXL_20201225_023712907.jpg
PXL_20201225_023808558.jpg

Last edited:
Went to the local Jeep doctor today. Dave cycled the axles. The 4.75" bs wheels definitely help. There is a little bit of contact with the flares at very extreme articulation, and fixing that will just need a little bit of trimming at two very specific spots in inside area of the front and rear flares. Otherwise things are all good. We did not do anything today but it's great to know that 33s still pretty much are good to go without any needed extra bumpstop than what I already have.

I need to think if I want to stay with 4.88s. I clearly feel the difference compared to before on hwy driving. Not going to do anything for now though, next summer is when I'll decide.

BMB pads still are quite effective even with 33s. Had one hard braking situation on the hwy today and they did the job.

View attachment 213088

View attachment 213081View attachment 213082View attachment 213083View attachment 213084
Sri's Jeep looks great. It was neat seeing it in person.

Off topic - There are now 3 pictures of my on the internet, 2 are on this site.

Reactions: psrivats
Sri's Jeep looks great. It was neat seeing it in person.

Off topic - There are now 3 pictures of my on the internet, 2 are on this site.

It was good to see you too! I took the photo down 🙂 I think I posted the other photo as well but that I think is worth keeping!

Not for me, just looking to see if 45 degree nuts were sold anywhere that didn’t have an open end. Looks like you’ve got the best you can.

Ah gotcha. Thanks for checking!

ps. I saw a photo that 🦓 showed. It looked great!

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
It is becoming clear that I am going to need a re-gear eventually. I adjusted my speedo-healer setting last weekend for the bigger tires. Been doing a lot of hwy driving after that and Jeep kinda sucks on hilly sections compared to before. I can barely maintain speed on hills let alone accelerate.

Below is what I'm seeing on flat hwy section now. 4.88 gears, 33x10.5 KO2s and 2500 rpm at 70mph.

Grimm jeeper gives the correct rpm (2513 rpm @ 70mph) with the 640 revs per mile input in the tire size section (which translates to 31.5" diameter). 5.38 gears will give 2771 rpm per the calculator. Even that may not be good enough. 42RLE is really not very much fun.

@jjvw can you look this over and tell me if I have my math right?

PXL_20201231_183735029.jpg

Last edited:
Makes you wonder if there would be a market for a different planetary to change that OD ratio.

This is what I come up with after bumping the speed up to 75mph where I am more familiar with the numbers.

33s
42rle/31.5”/3.73=2059rpm @ 75mph
42rle/31.5”/4.10=2263rpm @ 75mph
42rle/31.5”/4.56=2517rpm @ 75mph
42rle/31.5”/4.88=2694rpm @ 75mph
42rle/31.5”/5.13=2832rpm @ 75mph
42rle/31.5”/5.38=2970rpm @ 75mph

5.38 fits with my preference of 3k at 75.

If you want to get really finicky with the values, we need gps speed on a long flat road and the rpm read from the PCM via ODBII. What you should also find is that the speed shown at the PCM is not the same as what is shown at the needle. :)

I can't seem to remember for sure, but you have the twill top, don't you Sri?

Makes you wonder if there would be a market for a different planetary to change that OD ratio.

Absolutely! I talked to almost every major transmission rebuilder in the U.S. at one point and every single one of them told me there was no way for them to change or modify the OD gear ratio in the 42RLE. No one went into detail about it, so I have a hard time believing it's actually "impossible". Maybe it's just costly and time consuming?

Absolutely! I talked to almost every major transmission rebuilder in the U.S. at one point and every single one of them told me there was no way for them to change or modify the OD gear ratio in the 42RLE. No one went into detail about it, so I have a hard time believing it's actually "impossible". Maybe it's just costly and time consuming?

My understanding is that the various gear ratios are the result of the total assembly of all the gears. Change one and you have to change them all. To change the OD gear means reengineering the entire transmission.

My understanding is that the various gear ratios are the result of the total assembly of all the gears. Change one and you have to change them all. To change the OD gear means reengineering the entire transmission.

Okay, that would make more sense. None of the transmission shops I talked to wanted to explain this to me in detail, they just simply said, "it can't be done".

I thought maybe it was easy as swapping out the OD gear itself, but it sounds like it's much more involved and would cost an absurd amount of money.

Okay, that would make more sense. None of the transmission shops I talked to wanted to explain this to me in detail, they just simply said, "it can't be done".

I thought maybe it was easy as swapping out the OD gear itself, but it sounds like it's much more involved and would cost an absurd amount of money.

What I don't know is if this is always true with all transmissions. Or if some can be tinkered with.

What I don't know is if this is always true with all transmissions. Or if some can be tinkered with.

That's a good question. Given how long the 42RLE and the TJ have been around, I'd like to think that someone has done the tinkering and maybe just not shared it online.

It's not possible to change only the OD gear ratio since it is a "derived" ratio from the existing other gears. You'll have to reengineer the entire transmission.
I can't seem to remember for sure, but you have the twill top, don't you Sri?

I have the factory soft top Chris.

Reactions: Chris