Pucker Factor

Your welcome!

If you make your way down here.... we can run that trail.

The gatekeeper of that trail is called "The Squeeze."

NONE of the JKs in the "Unfortunate JKU of the day" thread would make it through that. Of course, none of them would make it up to that, even if it is the first challenge/gatekeeper.

Most of my pucker moments come in extreme off camber situations, that feeling like you’re going to roll over when your right arm is planted on the passenger door to hold you in place can be terrifying, especially the first bunch of times it happens.

Another kind came after multiple attempts to climb a steep incline, there’s a large smooth-ish rock part the way up this climb that’s made more difficult due to damp conditions which are common in that spot which prevent really good traction & this was the case on this particular day. Every time I got half way up the TJ would lose forward momentum & lurch sideways to the right. One of those times the entire Jeep went airborne & I crashed into the berm on the right which has a large jagged rock sticking out of it & it put a nice gash in my passenger door & door jamb which remains the largest scar on my rig to date. This video doesn’t capture the crash but one of the other attempts, you can see around the 22 second mark the spot I’m talking about when the jeep goes to the right

Reactions: Sancho
I've had two big pucker factors in my TJ. The first was my first winter with KM2's. I went far too slow up an icy hill-climb and quickly discovered that the KM2's don't like the ice! I was able to "guide" the jeep as it slid backwards down the hill into the fresher snow in the ditch. Once the Jeep came to a stop I jumped out and chained up (should have already done this) and the Jeep was an absolute beast in 4 low. We went everywhere after that, but lesson learned!

The second was my first time on the rocks. I had just installed a roof rack and wasn't use to the new CG. I went up on three wheels for the first time and wasn't too sure when or if that drivers wheel was going to come back down. That trip really improved my confidence with the suspension set up and being able to "feel" what the Jeep was doing.

Describe a time when on the trail, where your heart jumped through your chest, your pucker factor exceeded levels never known to man, and made you regret choosing wheeling as a hobby.

But you learned something.

For me.. it was Devil's Slide in Anza Borrego. I was trail lead, and showing some buddies who were new to offroading some easy trails.

Devil's Slide is just a soft sand dune, did not think much about it. I went down the dune, and nearly rolled twice because i was in too low of a gear, 4lo 1st... which caused the sand behind my vehicle to fish tail me.

Fish tailing on a steep sand dune is doom... as you end up sideways, perpendicular to where you need to go.

It was pretty hairy, and the fishtails occurred twice. 2 wheels in air at one point. vehicle almost

Reaction:
After a shout of "Dear Jesus... HELP", my reaction to the rear fishtailing was to push in the clutch and straighten out.. causing the vehicle to pick up speed.

Lesson Learned:
Dont underestimate obstacles. And always make sure to be in the right gearing for soft sand.

If that hill was a normal material of dirt... 4lo 1st would of been fine, since the engine compressuion can help regulate speed.

I'm thrilled you bring up the soft sand descents and why engine braking touted as the reason to own a manual by a lot of folks isn't all it is cracked up to be. I've had the same thing happen several times and just ease into the throttle to stay ahead of the sideways skid. The worst one ever was one I had done many times since it is the exit to Boulderdash and Upper Big Johnson in JV. This time Gerald had asked me to let his wife ride shotgun since his driving scared her too much and he wanted her to come back and try it again being her first time out.

Started down like normal and within seconds felt the back end kicking out. I hit the locker switches and gave it just enough throttle to stay ahead of the slide, but not a bit of happy going on about almost barrel rolling it down a sand hill with a first timer riding shotgun.

I've almost rolled it several times going down stuff, have one of the fronts drop further than I thought it was going to and have the opposite corner come up high enough and quick enough that you know if you don't change something with a quickness, you're going to be on your lid.

The last one was going up the upper section of Sledge past the sand hill exit. Put it on the line like I always do, this time the rear missed the little knob you need to make it up, it went to the side of it into the hole. Stood it up vertical and started to go over backwards. Managed to get off the brake and into reverse fast enough to save it. Had buddy in the passenger seat who was riding along because he broke his rig the day before. He was impressed.

Reactions: fuse and Sancho
Love my manual.. but popping into reverse on the fly is much easier with an auto.

The engine braking is useful.. especially on steep descents. But on soft sand.. gearing was more important.

Agreed. He motioned her right into the incline. In fact, it was one of the few hand signals he made that could actually be understood.

While the spotter obviously needed some work on his hand gestures, don't let the fact that the driver was not wearing a seat belt go unnoticed. It's nothing short of a miracle that she wasn't thrown out of that thing.

It blows my mind that some people don't take as many safety precautions as possible in this sport.

When I was younger I had similar feelings multiple times on my dirtbikes. I'm not sure why I survived most of them. Eventually I learned to quit jumping dirtbikes.
X2 on the dirt bike. Doing big jumps when I was 21 and rotated forward 20' in the air, seemed like a long time falling, knowing how bad it was going to hurt. Hit the ground hard and my bike landed on me. After knee surgery and several months of pt I was able to walk again without a cane. :(

X3. When things get all wonky in the air, you're not aligned with the bike, one leg is nowhere near the peg, and you just lost your grip on the left side of the handlebars ... then, two seconds later, you're on the ground, mostly in one piece thinkin' "HOLY SH!T, I'm not dead!". Ah, "good times" (read "stupid things I did and I survived" times) 🤪

Reactions: Mrgreg66
My biggest scare was in a rental Jeep near Silverton, CO on a no-name trail. I had 3 friends in the Jeep and we almost went over the edge on a shelf road.

We were coming down. It was raining. The tires on the Jeep were not great (understatement). There is a sharp left around a rock outcrop that you can't see around. After the turn, you're on a shelf with a drop on the right. We were crawling along slowly and safely, I thought.

We came around the outcrop and there was a 4 wheeler zooming up the hill right there! I hit the brakes and it almost felt like I hit the gas but had no steering ability at all. We were sliding toward the edge but my brain did not immediately get that we were sliding. I just knew I was on the brakes and had the wheel all the way left and we were still going toward the edge on the right!

At the last second, my confused brain figured out what was going on and I floored it! The front wheels thankfully pulled us away from the edge. I almost sideswiped the 4 wheeler and finally got it stopped. I actually felt the right front go over a notch right on the edge. Freaked me out! But I learned a valuable lesson.

Now, I try to avoid those hardrock trails when rain is imminent. That granite gets like ice when wet. I'm sure some tires are better than others but still. I think wet rock is what leads to a lot of the bad accidents in that area.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
February 4th 2019

Coming home from work I hit some ice and went into a guardrail. I remember the front end coming up and my the Jeep leaning and I fell on my side and slid about 100 feet. After I came to a stop I heard nothing but silence and realized that I wasn’t hurt at all. That’s when I remembered what highway I was on and and all I could think of was how many semi trucks frequently travel on it. While I made my way out through the back, I prayed that i hadn’t just come out unscathed from a roll only to be killed by a direct hit from a semi that couldn’t stop on time.

58e86fa73f4ae2ccb86be8d165be59a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember it like it was yesterday. I was at Valley River Mall, in Eugene Oregon..... bwaahahahjajajja

Sorry first thing that came to mind when reading the title. Actually haven't had my jeep off road much as of yet. Still have a few upgrades before I go.

In my old 72 Chevy Blazer (I was young and invincible) Driving down the freeway on an overpass, over Interstate 5, in the snow, going 55 miles an hour. Yes remember the words young. I am in the right lane passing a slow car that is in the left lane when a merging car form the on ramp decides to go ahead and merge in front of me, not realizing a dump kid was doing 55MPH in the snow. Quick decision, first thought, don't hit brakes, spilt the lanes and pass both cars down the middle. No everyone will wreak. Next go for the bank, no, on an overpass. Bummer got to hit the brakes, tap tap tap tap. fishtailing at 55mph with cars in front of me, whipping the steering wheel back and forth to try to correct, finally they get out of the way as I come by sideways. I continue to whip back and forth (which was helpful in slowing me down) I whip back around again, Some how I get the steering straigh just as I am in line with the lane and I stomp on the gas. It pulls me straight out of my wild 15 second ride that felt like an eternity. I stop at the light at gateway park when the car that merged in front of me came to the light to turn right. Wow I got a dirty look, but I saw his family in the car (I cant imagine what would it be like today with road rage and all). Yeah I learnt a valuable lesson there, (keep it off road!) God and his angles straighten me out that day!

Last edited:
Just a few weeks ago I was out at Beasley Knob in Blairsville, GA with some folks and I needed to head home before they were ready to leave. The gf and I decided that on our way out we wanted to hit one last trail (93C), to go out the way we came in, instead of taking the easiest route down a gravel road (93A) out of the park.

For anyone familiar we were taking 93C back to the lower parking lot from the landing where it meets with 93F and 93A.

We were going downhill in 1st gear/4 Lo and there was a loose silt patch where the Jeep just lost all grip. It started sliding toward an embankment about 8 ft. or so tall. I could feel the top getting heavy, like it was about to tip into the wall at any point. I just looked at the wall, said howdy, and was ready to accept smashing the side of my Jeep.

Fortunately the KM2's decided to grip up and I was able to drive out of it without tipping. We got to the bottom of that hill, looked at each other, and shared our expletives about the near miss. It was at that point that I decided I'd never go wheeling by myself again and to take the easy way home when you have somewhere to be after a long day of wheeling.

Not my proudest moment, ended up breaking an axle shaft once my wheels hit the ground. Unfortunately due to how wet it was crawling was not an option, but hey it made for one hell of a photo atleast.
IMG_20190803_001908_471.jpg

• Wow
Honestly yesterday.

I’ve had my TJ about a year, and have been working through junk on it and venturing further off road . A combination of me getting confidence in the Jeeps’ mechanical shape , confidence in my own ability to pick lines , finding good places to go , and deciding how far into the off road world I want to venture .

Went to beautiful Estill Fork, in North Alabama/ South Tennessee.

The road in is a nice blacktop road that ends at a shallow creek, you run up that 50-60 yards (legally ) and you hop up on a state right of way. It’s a policed area , so you don’t get off the trail.

It starts off as a road a two wheeldrive truck can handle, and gets progressively more technical.

As you get back in there , it’s some pure rock crawling . The first really good set of ledges gave me butterflies , and I new if I bounced around and got my right rear tire off toward the creek bed it could roll. I have actually been studying Jeep rollover videos a while just to learn what to avoid.

All I can say is this: lockers and a thumb throttle make a great combination. Also the np 241 4:1 crawl ratio... the whole package is no joke off road. The only thing that would be better is an automatic transmission, and I may pick up an auto Rubicon to wheel , thinking if I get the same color and park one in front of the house and one in back it may take my wife a while to notice what’s going on.

I was amazed how precise you can be with that set up . My TJ isn’t special, I know you guys with lockers know what I mean.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Paparock1