Question about cycling suspension

Ante_Up

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I'm working on cycling my suspension after installing the Dana 44 I bought. I installed the track bar with the weight of the vehicle on the ground and centered it. I then removed the coil springs to cycle it. On the driver side I can't get the spring pad all the way up to the upper bump. Mainly due to the sway bar link mount hitting the frame, but it still wouldn't meet on center because the pad is shifting towards the right and off center. Passenger side almost makes it but also falls short. Anything I'm missing to make this work or am I looking at removing the link mounts? Thanks

MVIMG_20200908_134913.jpg

MVIMG_20200908_134945.jpg

MVIMG_20200908_135147.jpg

IMG_20200908_135202.jpg

Reactions: cpwolf
its normal to shift side to side, it has to as it follows the arc of the track bar.

Those link mounts are killing your uptravel. I can't tell if it's just the perspective of the camera but they look massive.

Reactions: Ante_Up
its normal to shift side to side, it has to as it follows the arc of the track bar.

Those link mounts are killing your uptravel. I can't tell if it's just the perspective of the camera but they look massive.
I may just have to do what I can, then take it to a shop to weld on factory link mounts. These are massive for sure... Thanks

I may just have to do what I can, then take it to a shop to weld on factory link mounts. These are massive for sure... Thanks

Those are absurdly tall sway bar mounts. Replace them with the sway bar mounts from Black Magic Brakes. They are a far more reasonable raised mount than what is on your axle.

I agree the sway bar mounts are a problem, but I also don't see shocks installed or any bump stop extensions installed. Depending what shocks and/or tire size, spring selection, etc... you may not be able to achieve the up travel you are currently cycling for.

Reactions: hosejockey61
I was under the impression I needed to center the spring pad with the top "bump stop" nub, for lack of a better word. Then measure for bump stop and shocks

Doesn't look like the tires are on either. I am no expert but I think you need to determine how high your axle can go before at least the tires contact the fender to take any meaningful measurements.

i lift the axle level to align the bumps, and check for contacts in that position, b4 moving on to articulating. and then the shock and wheel will come into play as well.

Put the cup back in.
Okay will do... Waiting on new jounce bumpers, so I guess I'll revisit in a couple days. That is correct though, I should be centering the pad with the jounce bumper before moving on to bump stop and shock measuring, correct?

Reactions: jjvw
i lift the axle level to align the bumps, and check for contacts in that position, b4 moving on to articulating. and then the shock and wheel will come into play as well.
That makes sense... I was lifting one side at a time, I'm an idiot. I don't do that until I'm cycling for articulation for tires, etc

Jounce bumpers aren't needed. Upper cup is needed and then you will still need to add bump stop after that. What lift height and tires are you running?

the jounce bumpers will fully compress in operation so they are not used when setting up the bump stops. But the upper cup will not compress so it needs to be installed.

Jounce bumpers aren't needed. Upper cup is needed and then you will still need to add bump stop after that. What lift height and tires are you running?

the jounce bumpers will fully compress in operation so they are not used when setting up the bump stops. But the upper cup will not compress so it needs to be installed.
Gotcha.. Thanks. 4" lift with 35" tires

Reactions: jjvw and Ante_Up
Reactions: Wildman
.... That is correct though, I should be centering the pad with the jounce bumper before moving on to bump stop and shock measuring, correct?

Close enough is good enough. Solid contact is what you want. And the cup and axle pad should touch no sooner than the shock reaching full compression.

Close enough is good enough. Solid contact is what you want. And the cup and axle pad should touch no sooner than the shock reaching full compression.
Awesome... I appreciate the assistance fellas! One day I'll actually drive this thing again!

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman

I've not done this yet, but want to make sure I am following. I thought you unhook the shock, move it up to full compression, then get a shock that will up travel just a little more than that. Then you put on the tires and get your bump distance so they don't rub?