Question about cycling suspension

I've not done this yet, but want to make sure I am following. I thought you unhook the shock, move it up to full compression, then get a shock that will up travel just a little more than that. Then you put on the tires and get your bump distance so they don't rub?
I think that's the general idea... I'm not quite there, but will be researching it!

I've not done this yet, but want to make sure I am following. I thought you unhook the shock, move it up to full compression, then get a shock that will up travel just a little more than that. Then you put on the tires and get your bump distance so they don't rub?

The shock you want is the one that splits it's travel in half at normal ride height. You want as much up travel from normal ride height as you can get. Find the limit to up and decide if you can or want to move past it.

Reactions: Ante_Up
The shock you want is the one that splits it's travel in half at normal ride height. You want as much up travel from normal ride height as you can get. Find the limit to up and decide if you can or want to move past it.
So measure out, without shocks and get the uptravel, all the measurements, then get the shocks that fit last, much appreciated.

If you do that you might end up with shocks with multiple inches of unused up travel since you are now bumped to the tires. The bump stops should keep the tires out of the fenders and the shocks from fully compressing.

So measure out, without shocks and get the uptravel, all the measurements, then get the shocks that fit last, much appreciated.

Pretty much. Pay close attention to the compressed shock length. Ideally, that is the hard limit to up before damage elsewhere can happen. A little bit of tire rub is fine. Use the jounces to slow down the last bit of travel before the shock reaches full compression.

If you do that you might end up with shocks with multiple inches of unused up travel since you are now bumped to the tires. The bump stops should keep the tires out of the fenders and the shocks from fully compressing.
Roger that, full stuff to check for anything hitting, then tires on and get stuff tire rub, and set your bump stop so that doesn't hit.....THEN measure for shocks and get them to match that, and the full droop, and hopefully center the travel at ride height.

If I'm getting this down correctly.