Question: gauges go dead while driving!

B Winn

Hi all, sometimes when my airbag light comes on, the gauges will go dead, but the Jeep runs the same. Most of the time I will tap the top of the dash and the light will go off and everything will go back to normal. Is there a cheap fix for this? Also, my gas gauge is wildly inaccurate. Could this be related to the problem stated above? I drive a 98 sport 4.0, 5 speed manual with 98k miles.

Thanks all!

Bryan

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!! had one that did the same thing chased that shit for 2 yrs and never got it corrected. try removing your instrument cluster and giving the pins a slight twist to make them connect better. worked great for me until I put the bezel back on ! try wringing out the wires between it and the pcm, worked for me until I put the bezel on and started the engine ! oh and check for that twisted pair and make sure that the recall was done changing out the connection blocks ...oh and dont forget to check all the grounds, there's one that goes to the driver side speaker. after all that shit and it still works only when it wants to, throw it out the window and keep your tank filled . on the good side YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WILL NEVER COME ON !!!!!!

Reactions: Blondie70
You may want to check into the clock spring also- Some of the guys here have some experience with that

Mine does this sometimes from startup....I can quickly turn the key off and back on while running...this gets the gauges to come up. I think it's a bad ignition switch.

I removed the dash cluster, cleaned the terminal and used De-Oxit and reassembled.
That was 6-8 years ago and I haven't had the problem since.

I removed the dash cluster, cleaned the terminal and used De-Oxit and reassembled.
That was 6-8 years ago and I haven't had the problem since.

I tried that too. had my cluster out probably 50 times. only think i never saw was trying to replace the clock spring , maybe that was it but luckily its not my problem now !

Reactions: J.Pierce
Also check the main wiring harness connection on the firewall above the valve cover. If that has ever been disconnected and not reseated properly, it can come loose while driving and the gauges will intermittently die.

I can't believe people are still posting about this, water on the passenger side floor and sticky airbag covers. :rolleyes:
p.s. There's this new computer search thingy called...............
GoogleFu (2).jpg

and dont forget the " who makes the best shock and i have a 4in lift. should i use the factory length or the ones that say for a 4in lift ?

Everyone knows the old Pro Comp shocks ride great with softer springs.😬
p.s. Although, my 20 year old RC shocks still ride great with 275,000 miles on them. :rolleyes:
When buying a lifted Jeep, I always love the,
"It rides and handles like a Jeep" piss poor excuse for bad choices.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tr21triton