Questions about lift kits

harbiison

TJ Enthusiast
so i want to lift my jeep but i’m not mechanically inclined because i’m 16 and just bought my jeep. i plan on learning and growing in the tj community. i was wondering what i should look for a reasonably priced kit. like do i go body lift or suspension. what are the benefits and what would best suit my mechanic skills lol.

What size lift and tires are you wanting to run? I'd definitely recommend the Zone lifts. I've had the Zone 4in and definitely decent for the money.

Find a local 4x4 club and join it. For one this will give you people to go out with to learn how to wheel but also a lot of clubs have wrenching days where members get together to work on each others rigs. So you can have some help and people to teach you how to properly wrench on your rig. Plus a lot of times members will have used parts for sale also.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Find a local 4x4 club and join it. For one this will give you people to go out with to learn how to wheel but also a lot of clubs have wrenching days where members get together to work on each others rigs. So you can have some help and people to teach you how to properly wrench on your rig. Plus a lot of times members will have used parts for sale also.
i’ve tried to find one around here i’ve checked facebook and everything and nothing nobody around my area is really into it.

i was asking about the springs so would i need to change anything else besides the spring or do i just install the spring and call it a day
You would need longer shocks to, not sure about the track bar with a 2in lift. Might have to look at the thread Chris posted for more info on that.

i was asking about the springs so would i need to change anything else besides the spring or do i just install the spring and call it a day
With a low budget, you might get 2” spacers and longer shocks, Rancho 5000x , and don’t do anything else.

At 16, before you do that, just drive it a while and see what you have...it likely needs fluids and general maintenance ...plus in your state it has to pass inspection. Take your time. You are 16. There is a lot ahead bud.

i’ve tried to find one around here i’ve checked facebook and everything and nothing nobody around my area is really into it.
well since your 16 you go to school do any of your friends have a jeep or a 4x4 truck or look in the parking lot at lunch or maybe ask in the zoom chat make some friends and if you guys learn to do trails together youll help each other with the build and build to do the same trails

well since your 16 you go to school do any of your friends have a jeep or a 4x4 truck or look in the parking lot at lunch or maybe ask in the zoom chat make some friends and if you guys learn to do trails together youll help each other with the build and build to do the same trails
me and my one friend both have jeeps he has a yj and we both are basically neighbors so we said we’d learn together

Reactions: TJ Starting
At $200-300 budget, spring spacers, used Rancho 5000x shocks, and a small 1-1.25” body lift. Check the parts for sale on this forum. There are some body lifts there now, the shocks come up occasionally, the spacers you will have to buy new. Have fun!

I second what Boogieman said, listen to the advice of AndyG. It's not glamorous, but start with basis maintenance stuff first. It's cool you and your neighbor will be learning together. Two heads are better than one.

why get rid of the christmas wreath?
First, bc it’s Jan 13.

Second, bc wreaths go on house doors and tables.

Third, bc maybe you can sell it and have a bigger budget for the Jeep

Fourth, you’re 16. What 16 year old puts a wreath on their Jeep?