Raised platform for cargo area floor

B1Toad

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
When the back seat is out or folded there is still the seat belts and seat belt mounts, and the seat brackets which make the floor not useable for a large ice chest. I have an ice chest that fits perfectly except for the seat brackets and seat belts but if I build a raised platform using 1x2s and 1/4" plywood it will raise the floor and make it smooth for cargo. Before I build it just checking to see what others did, maybe there's a better solution? (A smaller ice chest is not an option)

I remove the seat belt anchor bolt and leave the floor belts on the work bench, then use the factory straps to tie the shoulder belts to the roll bar.

If I carry a large ice chest, I turn it longways.

Reactions: Plumber1
I guess the question is, are you ever going to use the back seat again?

For a long time, I have wanted to play with a back seat frame. See I could make a platform for an ice chest or tool box that would mount to the backseat frame and lock in just like the backseat. When I needed it, I could then just swap the backseat back in.

I like the idea of a 'lifted deck'.
If I were building one for our TJ, I would lift it up more than just enough to clear the brackets, I would make it high enough to place some type of plastic storage bins under it, that I could access through hinged or countersunk/flush openings (similar to how the deck of a boat works).
I'd store things underneath that were 'gotta take but not necessarily gotta get to'.

Just remember what anything you do is capable of in an accident-

Not trying to poo ideas- But do give a little thought safety. At 60mph a soda can is lethal.

Last edited:

For a long time, I have wanted to play with a back seat frame. See I could make a platform for an ice chest or tool box that would mount to the backseat frame and lock in just like the backseat. When I needed it, I could then just swap the backseat back in.

I got a rear seat out of a '05 Lj....come get it ...play with it all you want...

Reactions: TheBoogieman

When I go to Mexico I would take the seat with me, folded up. Once I get there I would unload everything at my son's beach house then fold the seat back down so 3 of us can cruise the beach.

I made a 6" deep platform for tool storage underneath, and anything else on top, here.

Wow thanks for the link to your thread, lot's of good info there and I bookmarked it. My woodworking skills are not quite as good as yours but I can do OK and your platform gave me good ideas. I can work with steel so the bracket fab will be easy. I need to examine my springs and bump stops as well and your thread goes into great detail on that. I thought my springs were stock but not 100% sure, it doesn't look like I have a lift but two things make me think I might, there is a short throw shifter installed which I read solves the shifter and boot issues after a lift, and my transfer case linkage needed adjusting to get into LO which I also read can be the result of lifting the ride height. I will go over your thread with a fine toothed comb.

My platform works pretty well, but is not ideal. If I need something in there, I have to unload everything on top to get the lid up. Drawers at the rear would be nice, but might take a lot of work. But hopefully it may give you some ideas.

Neither the short throw shifter nor the TC linkage necessarily has anything to do with a lift. Maybe the PO just liked the idea of that shifter. And the TC linkage is a terrible design by Chrysler, often causing problems and needing adjustment.

Measure your springs, where they sit inside the spring perches. IIRC the fronts are 12" tall, and the rears are 8" tall, on a stock TJ (plus or minus a little depending on load and age, etc). If you have a lift, the spring perches should be farther apart than that (could be a spring lift, could be a spacer lift).

When the back seat is out or folded there is still the seat belts and seat belt mounts, and the seat brackets which make the floor not useable for a large ice chest. I have an ice chest that fits perfectly except for the seat brackets and seat belts but if I build a raised platform using 1x2s and 1/4" plywood it will raise the floor and make it smooth for cargo. Before I build it just checking to see what others did, maybe there's a better solution? (A smaller ice chest is not an option)

I built a platform for the back of my Jeep. I installed some tie downs in the floor. The built uprights that contoured to fit in the seat tracks. The top has 1”x2” pieces to sandwich the uprights. Then that turnbuckles down to the tie downs then the front piece is bolted on. I made deck tall enough for a bottle of oil to stand upright underneath. The front piece is about 3” taller than the deck to keep items from sliding forward and the tie downs on the deck attach to he turnbuckles underneath down to the floor. I had he seatbelt retractors in it but have taken them out. I would also remove the center buckle just to be able to slide my gear underneath. It comes in and out with 6 bolts and about 10 minutes.

6D359306-6367-4046-A926-C6C489F99CE2.jpeg

65397039-EB90-45F9-AC1E-A9E2342FA2C3.jpeg

08986B58-55FE-449C-AF02-4D6014957CEA.jpeg

DAA8C264-C3CB-470B-84E9-8B412D29FED9.jpeg

I made this so my dogs have a flat surface stand or lay on. It's two pieces, so I can install and remove it easily. I've since removed all of the back seat brackets.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Reactions: sideproject
I had a scrap piece of 3/4" plywood left over from a subfloor job... bought $20 worth of marine carpet from Amazon and a spray can of adhesive. Two bolts through existing holes. Holds up a JK junkyard bumper find. And a couple of chainsaws.

IMG20230127145653.jpg

Finished my special purpose platform today, it's purpose is a way to transport the cooler and my gear down to Mexico. I need the back seat once we get there so I designed something to accommodate that. Once I arrive in MX everything goes in the house and I can then fold the back seat back down for beach cruising. I can store tools and gear underneath and the cooler on top. I made the legs from 1-1/4" black pipe cut and threaded to fit couplings which I welded to some hub blank off plates from service panels. I drilled out the center of the plates so the coupling fits thru it and welded it on both sides, then I drilled and tapped the tops of the couplings for hold down hardware. The legs unscrew for easy storage.

leg.jpg

legs on.jpg

foot cap.jpg

rough cut.jpg

secured.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WestCoastDan