Re-gear

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but with my 4.0, 3.73, 6-speed, you guys said go with 4.56, which I plan to do next year. But before that I may have my 33's, and I'm just curious, what will happen to my 4wheel low in 1st gear when I am wheeling with this set up? Is it going to bog down and die easier?

Not wanting to hijack the thread, but with my 4.0, 3.73, 6-speed, you guys said go with 4.56, which I plan to do next year. But before that I may have my 33's, and I'm just curious, what will happen to my 4wheel low in 1st gear when I am wheeling with this set up? Is it going to bog down and die easier?
You certainly won't be as low. Will it bog down easier, probably. But you aren't suddenly going to lose all off road ability. The low 1st gear in the 6 spd will definitely help out.

Reactions: JMT
4.56/33/5 spd is the combo to go. Is your friend a differential mechanic?

He is not specifically but has done over a hundred differentials and has owned jeeps. He swears to me I should go with 4.10. But everything I read here says 4.56. Curious, do you know what the stock gear ratio is? Could it be a 3.09??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There should be a tag that shows the ratio. So, lots of people think 4.10 is loooow, because they are misinformed and/or inexperienced and will scoff at ratios like 4.56, 5.13, etc. Consider this, the stock ratio for the Rubicon is 4.10 amd comes with a 31.5" tire. You have a taller, wider, and heavier tire. You need more gear than 4.10.

There should be a tag that shows the ratio. So, lots of people think 4.10 is loooow, because they are misinformed and/or inexperienced and will scoff at ratios like 4.56, 5.13, etc. Consider this, the stock ratio for the Rubicon is 4.10 amd comes with a 31.5" tire. You have a taller, wider, and heavier tire. You need more gear than 4.10.
X2 You will never regret going 4.56 with those 33's. You go 4.10 it will get you by and be slightly better than your current gearing but will never give you the response you need with those tires.

Reactions: IamBR549
Go 4.56. You can get a lot of flack over gearing deeper but stick to your guns

Reactions: IamBR549
I

know this has come up before but what about same but with 32 inch tire would you go 4.10 or 4.56
Going 4.56 is the better of the two options if you are re-gearing. If you currently have 4.10 gearing and are running 32's it may not be worth it to put the money into going to 4.56 if you plan on always staying at 31's or 32's.

FWIW,
In my old YJ I had a 4.2 w 5sp and I put in front and rear ARB with 456. This is what I found worked for me. It was crazy low geared on the freeway. like I didn't have to put on the brakes most of the time, I could just simply let off the gas, and it would slow down tremendously fast. It was almost annoying, but off road sometimes even in 4 low I wished it could crawl even slower. This is just my opinion.

At one point I bought a JK and sold it soon afterl, but it came with just shy of factory 33's and had 3:73, It definitely did better on the freeway than off-roading.

JMT here is my suggestion you can take it FWIW -

If you know you are set on 33's, put them on first and drive it on-road and off the way it is, Then if it drives you crazy, save up and upgrade your gearing later. I mean unless you know you are going to be off-roading more than on-roading. If you decide you don't like your 3:73 with your 33's, then I would go up to 4:56, because for the cost going from 3:73 to 4:10 isn't that much different, and you will most likely be disappointed in the price, but you may find that you are driving on-road more you may be fine with the 3:73 and 33's That is what some J/Ks come stock with, so it isn't ridiculous in my opinion.

It really comes down to what you want to do with your jeep the most. I am older now so admittedly I am on-road more than off, but I still like to take a weekend here and there and explore, fish and camp. So I need to build mine accordingly.

He is not specifically but has done over a hundred differentials and has owned jeeps. He swears to me I should go with 4.10. But everything I read here says 4.56. Curious, do you know what the stock gear ratio is? Could it be a 3.09??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got a Rubi. 4.10s. 33s. Wish I had 3.73s. Depends on your use. Me, I do a lot of highway, a lot of forestry road and I tow a trailer most days.

So if you are constantly off road, no highway 4.56, 4.88 sure. But if your TJ is more of a daily driver, I'd recommend 4.10 or 3.73.

Stock lots of TJs came with 3.07s. I had that in a YJ. With 33s, I NEVER used 5th gear. And starting from a stop off road, I always used 4LO. But honestly for forestry road blasting, driving it like it was a Mustang.... the 3.07s were magic. The speed range in each gear meant never needing to shift. I ran uphill in 4HI, 2nd gear. Good for 15mph to 60mph. And downhill in 4LO, 3rd gear. The lower a rear end ratio you use the more you have to shift as speeds in each gear narrow.

So screw what you read here. Figure out how you drive, where you off road and pick the right ratio for your wheeling.

Reactions: Widawg and Kevin E
35" tires with 4.10 gears here. 6 speed. I was worried about having to regear after lifting and adding bigger tires but I've experienced no problems so I'm very doubtful that I'll go to the expense and hassle of having it done.

I sometimes have to downshift from 6th into 5th on an uphill at higher speeds but it's no big deal.

I'm not really sure what impact the 6 speed has vs. the 5 speed in this conversation so it may make a difference but I've found that 4.10 gears with 35" tires on a manual transmission presents no problems power-wise, acceleration-wise, etc. so I would think 33" tires with 4.10's would be fine.

Last edited:
I've got a Rubi. 4.10s. 33s. Wish I had 3.73s. Depends on your use. Me, I do a lot of highway, a lot of forestry road and I tow a trailer most days.

So if you are constantly off road, no highway 4.56, 4.88 sure. But if your TJ is more of a daily driver, I'd recommend 4.10 or 3.73.

Stock lots of TJs came with 3.07s. I had that in a YJ. With 33s, I NEVER used 5th gear. And starting from a stop off road, I always used 4LO. But honestly for forestry road blasting, driving it like it was a Mustang.... the 3.07s were magic. The speed range in each gear meant never needing to shift. I ran uphill in 4HI, 2nd gear. Good for 15mph to 60mph. And downhill in 4LO, 3rd gear. The lower a rear end ratio you use the more you have to shift as speeds in each gear narrow.

So screw what you read here. Figure out how you drive, where you off road and pick the right ratio for your wheeling.

Seriously dude? He is getting info from those with experience and those that run the particular ratio being recommended. If you blast down forest roads, more power to you. Not everyone does, however. Crawling up and down steep, rocky terrain, low gearing rules. Makes climbing more efficient and keeps you off the brakes during the descent. You are certainly welcome to your opinion but as always, you are the one detractor from lower gear ratios.

Don't take it personal... but did you read the next post.

I understand 4.88s are right for some people. Why do you assume the op wants to wheel just like and why assume I was attacking you? The op said hes only seen your kind of opinion. I gave another and qualified it with "screw what you read here" figure out how you wheel and set your own priorities. Neither MY opinions or YOURS are right for everyone.

Reactions: MonkeyMike
In all honesty, gearing is one of those things where a lot of it is preference. On my Rubicon with a 42RLE and 33" tires, I went with 4.88. However, I now wish I went with 5.13 to be honest.

I'll bet a lot of people would drive my rig though and think it was more than fine with 4.88 gears. Hell, some might even like it with the stock 4.10 gears.