Re-gear

Bite the bullet and pay to have it regeared so it will run right. 3.73 with the 42RLE is just not enough gear for any larger tire size you'd be happy with.

Reactions: DC0046
Yup.. After readin up on a lot of this stuff, that's my conclusion, also..what do you think of 4.88?..Not gonna be crawlin with this one...Just getting in and out with good low end..

Yup.. After readin up on a lot of this stuff, that's my conclusion, also..what do you think of 4.88?..Not gonna be crawlin with this one...Just getting in and out with good low end..
With 33's I'd recommend no less than 4.88 but personally I'd go 5.13 which will provide ideal/not too high highway rpms. My 5.38 gears are barely adequate on the highway for my 35's and 42RLE transmission.

Last edited:
Reactions: MonkeyMike
I've got a Rubicon running 32 inch tires currently and a 5 speed. I'm finding the 4.11 gears to be barely adequate. Sure, in low range, it will ghost drive over almost anything without stalling, but when I'm city driving or on the highway, I want a bit more gearing. I can maintain my speed well enough, but there is no reserve...no passing power. I don't like that. Maybe I'm spoiled by my other two cars with direct injection and turbos, but damn it...if I get slowed down by some idiot, I don't want to wait for a downhill to get my speed back up. With my impending jump to a real 33, I'm sure that I'll be upping the gearing to 4.56 sooner or later. Probably do it myself though. I have a 3 month window every year to get it right!

With 33's I'd recommend no less than 4.88 but personally I'd go 5.13 which will provide ideal/not too high highway rpms. My 5.38 gears are barely adequate on the highway for my 35's and 42RLE transmission.
Would they work ok in the dana 35?..Don't plan on changing too much, just the right amount of low end and again not concerned about highway drivin..

Bite the bullet and pay to have it regeared so it will run right. 3.73 with the 42RLE is just not enough gear for any larger tire size you'd be happy with.
I’m am by no means an expert, but I just regeared to 5:13s with 33s and a 42RLE and overdrive is still way too deep. Glad I didnt go to 4:88s.