Re-gear

4.56 gears work great.

Proof...... i have a 97 5 speed 4.0l with 33×12.5r15. And love each and every gear. 75 mph in 5th gear @2750 rpm.
Great info and thanks very much! What does this regear do for the lower gears? Judging by how much I rev up in first, it almost seems like this mod would eliminate first gear.

I have a 2006, 6spd manual Unlimited I just re-geared to 4.56 last week. I am running 33x12.5r15 Dick Cepek ATs. The re-gear from 3.73 to 4.56 was totally worth it. I went with G2 gears.

Reactions: JMT
I tow a 2K# trailer daily in the mountains, TJR with 4.10s and 33s. I wish I had 3.73s. Never had a problem on steep mountain grades but I'm willing to down shift. Often as low as 3rd, 4500rpm to maintain 60mph on the hills, or to pull out and pass.

I really wish I could run the flats and downhills at less than 2000rpm. I know my gas mileage would be better with 3.73s.

But yeah, include me in the forced induction thing. I lean towards the Banks Turbo. But price might make me pick a supercharger.

I put 24,000 miles on it last year, towing for at least 12,000 of that.

DSC_0003.jpg

I tow a 2K# trailer daily in the mountains, TJR with 4.10s and 33s. I wish I had 3.73s. Never had a problem on steep mountain grades but I'm willing to down shift. Often as low as 3rd, 4500rpm to maintain 60mph on the hills, or to pull out and pass.

I really wish I could run the flats and downhills at less than 2000rpm. I know my gas mileage would be better with 3.73s.

But yeah, include me in the forced induction thing. I lean towards the Banks Turbo. But price might make me pick a supercharger.

I put 24,000 miles on it last year, towing for at least 12,000 of that.

View attachment 51351

I'm not quite sure what mountains you are running through, but they must not be that steep. I've run my Jeep through mountains with 33's, 4.56's, and no trailer and it struggles to pull 50 up some grades. I'm in 3rd with the pedal to the floor at around 3500 rpm. I don't know how on earth you can run 60mph up a steep grade with a 2000 pound trailer on the back. You must have an extra 4.0 hiding under that hood somewhere.

Reactions: Chris
I'm not quite sure what mountains you are running through, but they must not be that steep. I've run my Jeep through mountains with 33's, 4.56's, and no trailer and it struggles to pull 50 up some grades. I'm in 3rd with the pedal to the floor at 4000 rpm. I don't know how on earth you can run 60mph up a steep grade with a 2000 pound trailer on the back. You must have an extra 4.0 hiding under that hood somewhere.

X2. My Rubicon with the stock 4.10 gears, 42RLE transmission, and 33" tires was absolutely miserable through the mountains by us. Couldn't pass people, constantly hunting for gears... just absolutely miserable. Re-gearing definitely helped it out a lot. It wasn't perfect, but it was much, much better.

Great info and thanks very much! What does this regear do for the lower gears? Judging by how much I rev up in first, it almost seems like this mod would eliminate first gear.
i can take of in second gear and have many time on accident. but i still like to use 1st.

I have a 2006, 6spd manual Unlimited I just re-geared to 4.56 last week. I am running 33x12.5r15 Dick Cepek ATs. The re-gear from 3.73 to 4.56 was totally worth it. I went with G2 gears.
That is so good to know. I’m doing the exact same re-gear in the next month or so. I can’t wait! Good news is I think we could run 35’s and be very happy too.

Reactions: ac_
In all honesty, gearing is one of those things where a lot of it is preference. On my Rubicon with a 42RLE and 33" tires, I went with 4.88. However, I now wish I went with 5.13 to be honest.

I'll bet a lot of people would drive my rig though and think it was more than fine with 4.88 gears. Hell, some might even like it with the stock 4.10 gears.
I've got a stock 3.73 with the 42RLE..Without regearing, what would be a good tire size? I bought this Jeep lookin for a side X side but found it to be cheaper and a lot more fun. This will be a trail rig with little highway use. Thanks

I've got a stock 3.73 with the 42RLE..Without regearing, what would be a good tire size? I bought this Jeep lookin for a side X side but found it to be cheaper and a lot more fun. This will be a trail rig with little highway use. Thanks

What size tires?

What size tires?
Chris, he's asking what size tires should he get for the 42rle if he does NOT regear. Probably what he wants to know the largest tire size he can get away with without re-gearing. I don't know so I'm bumping it to you...

Reactions: MonkeyMike
Chris, he's asking what size tires should he get for the 42rle if he does NOT regear. Probably what he wants to know the largest tire size he can get away with without re-gearing. I don't know so I'm bumping it to you...

Oh... Well 3.07 gears with a 42RLE transmission has got to be hands down the WORST combination you could ever have on a TJ... period. Even with the 4.10 gears on my 42RLE and 31" tires it was still horrible.

So I would recommend at this point that you just go with whatever size tire you want, and re-gear when you have the money. I'd just live with it until then, because 3.07 gears and a 42RLE are going to suck regardless of tire size.

Reactions: Fouledplugs and ac_
Mostly 10%, a few 12%, lots of 8%. Barely notice the 8% in 3rd at 4500rpm, The 10% and 12% are noticeable but it will still pull 4000rpm in 3rd.

We're talking about the same grades then. 3rd gear floored, I can run 50 mph max up Teton pass, which has a maximum grade of 10%. The physics don't really work out on this. How can you go faster up a steeper grade (12%) with a 2000 pound trailer on the back? Have you been hiding an engine swap from us all this time? Either that, or my engine has some serious issues.

Thanks for your response on this, too..

Been thru a few jeeps over the years..Started with a 82 scrambler back in 83..Kept it for 10 yrs..Wish I still had her..Had a 2002 tj leaser in San Diego....Till they put out the Rubi...Had the Rubi for 6 years and traded it off in 08-09..Then found this nice replacement for a side x side idea I had...Always had some aftermarket stuff on 'em but the budget never allowed for doin it right the first time...My advice...Do it right the first time...