Re-gear question: 3.07 to ?

I've tried to withhold by not making an account as long as I could.... Are you ever going to quit with this bullshit or no? I see you consistently talk about Audis and their top speed in 5th, 6th, 7th, (less than 8th gear) and blah, blah, blah. Nobody cares. We don't drive Jeeps with 8-speed transmissions. We drive Jeeps with 3, 4, 5, 6-speed transmissions and the highest gear is the .69 overdrive in the 4-speed that I know you are definitely aware of. Your comparison to Audis is unhelpful at best. Jeeps are several things: unaeroynamic, non powerful, and are run with way larger tires than any Audi ever will. Therefore, Audis don't compare to anything we do. We don't have multiple gears to hit redline in and even if we did, it would still be difficult in the lower gears and impossible in the higher gears. We also aren't going 150 mph. Your comparison to Jeeps with the Audi is stupid, and a huge waste of time. With your logic, why don't we go ahead and start comparing to Corvettes?

Second, Your gas mileage claims are WAY off. I've seen you consistently talk about 20-25mpg. You are in Canada. Something is wrong in your conversion process because literally no 4.0 TJ or YJ driver is getting above 20 mpg, no matter what their gear setup is, even including your beloved 3.07 gear setup for forestry roads. After converting to US quantities, we stick to about 14-17 mpg on the highway, as far as 3.07 to 5.38, regardless of engine or transmission. I personally think you go off of Canada KM claims and pretend they're the same as mpg which is way off. I've done the math and while you claim MPG, if you convert those claims to KM/g or KM/L, it lines up way more realistically. I think you haven't figured out the conversion process quite yet. It's real similar to your son who you claim gets 30 mpg in his JK. BULLshit. Until you figure out the process for calculating proper MPG, you should quit making claims about what setup makes such and such MPG. Learn your countries difference before making claims on the scale of the US.

Third, please quit convincing people to join the misery that is you. You for some reason seem to think that 3.73 would give you some sort of magical experience....it won't. If it would, don't you think you'd have a bunch of people agreeing with you and following your ignorant advice? Well....you don't. And, for good reason. Riddle me this, Batman. If RPM was directly related to gas mileage, explain why my 31" tire and 4.0 5-speed AX15 Jeep gets 18mpg going 65 in 4th gear at 3100 rpm (GASP!!!) vs going faster at 70 mpg in 5th at 2600 RPM? Your logic doesn't make sense at all. And please don't start with the whole you get 23 mpg in Canada quantities because that doesn't compare equally to anybody but Canada and the messed up numbers you come up with that don't convert to US numbers.

The fact of the matter is your numbers are way off, your experience doesn't match anybody else, and your input frankly is useless. Nobody wants to subject themselves to intentional power loss, especially when so many people are gaining MPG and power at the same time when they regear, regardless of what you say. The only people losing MPG when they regear are the people that start hot footing it when they regear. I don't blame them, I had bad mileage when I regeared also and the new power made it enjoyable enough that I wanted to hot foot it and lost mileage as a result. However, my mileage on the highway was the same or better because my engine wasn't working as hard and I kept my foot consistent. There in lies the beauty of lower gears.

The reality of all of this is you should gear for about 70 at 2800 and 75 at 3000 if you can for a 4.0L engine on the highway. For a 2.5/2.4L engine I would say more around 3200 at 70 and 3400 at 75. Anything else truly isn't ideal and I sure wish ignorant forum members wouldn't ruin that for anyone else.
I don't always agree with some of the members on the forum, but I've never gone so far as to say their input was useless. Even if I felt it was, I don't see a need to say as much. Just seems counterproductive to me. Now, @billiebob has a different way of looking at some things, sure, but it's those differences that keep this forum interesting. Even your little tirade (I'm sorry, but that's what it was) had entertainment value, if nothing else. But may I suggest that as a new member (not suggesting you're new to Jeeps, just to this forum), you might want reel in your aggression a bit, especially on your very first contribution. Makes a helluva first impression, but maybe not quite the one you'd really want to stick with you. I don't know you, and I'm not judging you, but I am defending another forum member's right to say what he wants to say (and yes, ultimately, even yours). For all I know, you drive a pink and green zebra striped TJ that gets exactly the mileage you say it gets. You go, dude! Ain't my kind of thing, but post up pics and tell us about it. @billiebob has made many contributions to this forum, and I suspect most folks here hope he continues to do so. Keeps things interesting, ya know? Have a great day, friend! And welcome to the zoo!

Last edited:
depends if you are driving it on the street alot or if it's just your toy to take rock crawling. If it's street driven, you might not want to got that low and stick with 3.73's or 3.90's. Otherwise If it's just a toy for rock crawling I'd go 4.56's.

depends if you are driving it on the street alot or if it's just your toy to take rock crawling. If it's street driven, you might not want to got that low and stick with 3.73's or 3.90's. Otherwise If it's just a toy for rock crawling I'd go 4.56's.
My experience and observations suggest that a well built rock crawling Jeep will perform better on the street than most will ever realize. Low gears are for everyone.

I've tried to withhold by not making an account as long as I could.... Are you ever going to quit with this bullshit or no? I see you consistently talk about Audis and their top speed in 5th, 6th, 7th, (less than 8th gear) and blah, blah, blah. Nobody cares. We don't drive Jeeps with 8-speed transmissions. We drive Jeeps with 3, 4, 5, 6-speed transmissions and the highest gear is the .69 overdrive in the 4-speed that I know you are definitely aware of. Your comparison to Audis is unhelpful at best. Jeeps are several things: unaeroynamic, non powerful, and are run with way larger tires than any Audi ever will. Therefore, Audis don't compare to anything we do. We don't have multiple gears to hit redline in and even if we did, it would still be difficult in the lower gears and impossible in the higher gears. We also aren't going 150 mph. Your comparison to Jeeps with the Audi is stupid, and a huge waste of time. With your logic, why don't we go ahead and start comparing to Corvettes?

Second, Your gas mileage claims are WAY off. I've seen you consistently talk about 20-25mpg. You are in Canada. Something is wrong in your conversion process because literally no 4.0 TJ or YJ driver is getting above 20 mpg, no matter what their gear setup is, even including your beloved 3.07 gear setup for forestry roads. After converting to US quantities, we stick to about 14-17 mpg on the highway, as far as 3.07 to 5.38, regardless of engine or transmission. I personally think you go off of Canada KM claims and pretend they're the same as mpg which is way off. I've done the math and while you claim MPG, if you convert those claims to KM/g or KM/L, it lines up way more realistically. I think you haven't figured out the conversion process quite yet. It's real similar to your son who you claim gets 30 mpg in his JK. BULLshit. Until you figure out the process for calculating proper MPG, you should quit making claims about what setup makes such and such MPG. Learn your countries difference before making claims on the scale of the US.

Third, please quit convincing people to join the misery that is you. You for some reason seem to think that 3.73 would give you some sort of magical experience....it won't. If it would, don't you think you'd have a bunch of people agreeing with you and following your ignorant advice? Well....you don't. And, for good reason. Riddle me this, Batman. If RPM was directly related to gas mileage, explain why my 31" tire and 4.0 5-speed AX15 Jeep gets 18mpg going 65 in 4th gear at 3100 rpm (GASP!!!) vs going faster at 70 mpg in 5th at 2600 RPM? Your logic doesn't make sense at all. And please don't start with the whole you get 23 mpg in Canada quantities because that doesn't compare equally to anybody but Canada and the messed up numbers you come up with that don't convert to US numbers.

The fact of the matter is your numbers are way off, your experience doesn't match anybody else, and your input frankly is useless. Nobody wants to subject themselves to intentional power loss, especially when so many people are gaining MPG and power at the same time when they regear, regardless of what you say. The only people losing MPG when they regear are the people that start hot footing it when they regear. I don't blame them, I had bad mileage when I regeared also and the new power made it enjoyable enough that I wanted to hot foot it and lost mileage as a result. However, my mileage on the highway was the same or better because my engine wasn't working as hard and I kept my foot consistent. There in lies the beauty of lower gears.

The reality of all of this is you should gear for about 70 at 2800 and 75 at 3000 if you can for a 4.0L engine on the highway. For a 2.5/2.4L engine I would say more around 3200 at 70 and 3400 at 75. Anything else truly isn't ideal and I sure wish ignorant forum members wouldn't ruin that for anyone else.

Look, we all have opinions but play the ball not the man.

Argue against his opinion but don't get personal, we have a pretty good forum here. Robust converation is fine however.

Just a thought :)

I don't always agree with some of the members on the forum, but I've never gone so far as to say their input was useless. Even if I felt it was, I don't see a need to say as much. Just seems counterproductive to me. Now, @billiebob has a different way of looking at some things, sure, but it's those differences that keep this forum interesting. Even your little tirade (I'm sorry, but that's what it was) had entertainment value, if nothing else. But may I suggest that as a new member (not suggesting you're new to Jeeps, just to this forum), you might want reel in your aggression a bit, especially on your very first contribution. Makes a helluva first impression, but maybe not quite the one you'd really want to stick with you. I don't know you, and I'm not judging you, but I am defending another forum member's right to say what he wants to say (and yes, ultimately, even yours). For all I know, you drive a pink and green zebra striped TJ that gets exactly the mileage you say it gets. You go, dude! Ain't my kind of thing, but post up pics and tell us about it. @billiebob has made many contributions to this forum, and I suspect most folks here hope he continues to do so. Keeps things interesting, ya know? Have a great day, friend! And welcome to the zoo!
Well said sir. That is one of the first things I noticed about this forum is the respect that everyone has for one another. I don't agree with going for the throat because of opinion.

Thanks for this comment. It speaks volumes about the forum.

Reactions: Squatch

Actually it is easier to compensate for being under-geared by using 4lo when off road. And low gearing isn't just for "rock crawling." Ever climb steep rutted trails; ever descend those same trails? Those trails ever wet and slick? If so, you will immediately realize the benefit to low gearing and not having to be on the brakes while descending.

I will agree that there are one or two pure and frankly unbelievable bullshit recommendation posts in this thread. My own recommendations for gear ratios are always(!) based on what performs best on the highway, not just some super-low offroad ratio that might ruin the ability to drive on the highway. My recommendations are to always gear for the highway, gear what produces optimal engine rpms at the highway speeds most commonly driven at. Geared properly for the highway will produce great offroad rpms as well. For a transmission with an overdrive gear, my goal is to gear to produce an engine rpm as close to 2700-2750 rpms at 70 mph with my 4.0L as possible. The 2.5L and 2.4L engines would require higher rpms due to their lower power output.

Gear for the highway for a Jeep that gets driven on the highway, the offroad rpms will take care of themselves in 4Lo.

And I agree with one of the posts above, mentioning the rpms/speeds seen with non-Jeeps is totally useless and confusing to use or even mention as a comparison. Mentioning rpms that are appropriate for a completely different type of vehicle like a small German sports car is a completely inappropriate comparison for our TJs. The rpms that work for small lightweight cars or muscle cars with big V8 engines have no bearing on what works well in our TJ engines. We need rpms that work with the engines that came in our TJs and only worry about those engine rpms, nothing else. I don't even pay attention to the rpms in my two daily driver cars, I'd never bring them up in a Jeep ratio discussion.

Last edited:
@bp_95 has been banned. If wants to disagree, that's fine. But to come out swinging like that with his first post (which is apparently the only reason he joined the forum) is an immature and stupid thing to do. That post was rude, poorly written, and sounded more like a personal attack than it did a disagreement.

Disagree all you want, but don't attack other members like that. Keep that stuff on Facebook and Twitter, not here.

@bp_95 has been banned. If wants to disagree, that's fine. But to come out swinging like that with his first post (which is apparently the only reason he joined the forum) is an immature and stupid thing to do. That post was rude, poorly written, and sounded more like a personal attack than it did a disagreement.

Disagree all you want, but don't attack other members like that. Keep that stuff on Facebook and Twitter, not here.

you sure?

The personal nature of that attack suggests prior interaction rather than a sideline sitter joining to throw an opinion in; I’d bet it was an existing member that created a new username specifically for that rant because he didn’t want to come out & say it himself as himself.

you sure?

The personal nature of that attack suggests prior interaction rather than a sideline sitter joining to throw an opinion in; I’d bet it was an existing member that created a new username specifically for that rant because he didn’t want to come out & say it himself as himself.

I thought about this as well. However, I checked the IP address logs and there is no other member who has used the same IP address, so it’s hard to pin down who it might be.

I curious if YJ Dana 30&35 axles with 4:11 gears can be gutted and put into my 1998 4.0 TJ Dana 30&35 diffs? Same axles so I assume so but not 100%

Well handled .

You know , we all do silly stuff, like wear our wives clothes when they're out of town, but at the end of the day we respect each other .

I have always enjoyed this forum because of the help, concern and respect we give each other.

When my rear differential was coming unglued while on my anniversary vacation, it was the cool heads here who reached out and helped me keep my head ....and I got my wife and my Jeep home safely.

You know , at the end of the day , we are all just some cool folks , trying to keep some cool vehicles alive and enjoying them all we can ....and this forum is an awesome resource, entertainment , and just a good place to Zone out when we aren't getting to do what we really want ....Jeep ride!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch
I curious if YJ Dana 30&35 axles with 4:11 gears can be gutted and put into my 1998 4.0 TJ Dana 30&35 diffs? Same axles so I assume so but not 100%
YJ front axle is reverse rotation like older Cherokees and wouldn't work in a TJ short-pinion axle. YJ Dana 35 internals should swap right over on your early model TJ rear axle.

I stumbled across these and found them very informative

Dana 30
https://www.tomsdifferentials.com/2011catalog/Pages81-84.pdf

Dana 35
https://www.tomsdifferentials.com/2011catalog/Pages85-88.pdf

*EDIT* YJ Dana 30 is reverse cut/high pinion. Not reverse rotation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ditch and Squatch
You can but it means a complete set up. It isn't just a bolt in
What else do I need to buy to make it work?
554621D1-C85F-462F-A08D-07559B361234.jpeg