Re-gear question: 3.07 to ?

I just went through same deal as you. Lurked and read for a while before changing gears. I decided on 4.10 from 3.07 and I’m very happy with end result. One guy in one of my posts said it was like Forest Gump running with his braces on and after they fell off he was able to take off. Perfect analogy!
If it’s a daily driver and some off road the 4.10 is perfect.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was me with the Forest Gump anology , but I would suggest 4.56 with 33s and the 5 speed. 4.88 withe

Reactions: glwood
How do you feel about those 33's? Think you ever want to go bigger? Maybe scale back and go smaller? I pose this question because once you choose a ratio, you are pretty much stuck with the tire choice to match the gearing. I re-geared to 4.56's and am running 33's. It's perfect, but I have contemplated bumping back to 31's, but now I'm stuck. Had I went with 4.10's I would have had the option. 4.10's wouldn't have been ideal for 33's, but it would have been doable for my needs. Just something to think about.
Have you considered 32s? Down a bit from 33s, and it would seem like your TJ would feel pretty zippy off the line with 4.56. Not sure about the highway rpms, though...

My 4.10 works fine with my 32s & 42RLE, but I have considered 4.56. The general advice I read, though, is 4.88 with the 42RLE is necessary...

Thread derail, sorry.

Reactions: Thunderhead
The general advice I read, though, is 4.88 with the 42RLE is necessary...
True for 33" tires, though more and more are saying 5.13 is the more ideal choice since it became available when the transmission is the 42RLE. Knowing the 42RLE as I do, if I was running 33's and knew I'd never go bigger, I'd go 5.13.

True for 33" tires, though more and more are saying 5.13 is the more ideal choice since it became available when the transmission is the 42RLE. Knowing the 42RLE as I do, if I was running 33's and knew I'd never go bigger, I'd go 5.13.
I don't plan on 33s. 4.88 would then seem to be the same for 32s, more than adequate.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I am like the OP... dailey driver, 4.0 on 33.s only dif is a automatic. I just did the swap from 3.73 to 4.56 and I am very pleased.. gearing is spot on...
I'm considering regearing from 3.07 to 4.56 and have an automatic. Anything I should know or consider regarding automatics? Are there substantial modifications for an automatic?

I'm considering regearing from 3.07 to 4.56 and have an automatic. Anything I should know or consider regarding automatics? Are there substantial modifications for an automatic?
What tire size?

The regear process of the same regardless of the transmission.

Reactions: H_E_H
Currently stock 235/75R 15

4.56 for stock tires is pretty steep, but you could probably get away with it if you have the 42RLE. Though, I'm fairly sure you have the older 3 speed considering you have 3.07's currently. What year is your Jeep?

Why are you looking to regear if you only have stock tires? Usually a regear is only needed when moving up to larger tires.

4.56 for stock tires is pretty steep, but you could probably get away with it if you have the 42RLE. Though, I'm fairly sure you have the older 3 speed considering you have 3.07's currently. What year is your Jeep?

Why are you looking to regear if you only have stock tires? Usually a regear is only needed when moving up to larger tires.
My Jeep is a 1999 and I'm definitely looking to 'bigger' my wheels 31" or 33". I was planning next month to try doing a lift kit and get larger tires, but then I ran into the re-gear issue! :D

Driving when slightly undergeared will often seem fine until you drive a Jeep with the same configuration but with a more appropriate axle ratio. I knew I was slightly undergeared with 4.10 and 33's within a day or two after having the gears installed (all my buddies recommended 4.56) but driving another TJ regeared to 4.56 with 33" tires made me slap my forehead afterward. I hated driving after that, every extra downshift I had to do for even a minor grade grated on me. I vowed to never be slightly undergeared again when I'm deciding on the ratio to be installed. :)
I’m with Jerry , you think 4:10 is fine , and it’s going to be better, but it’s still a long way from 4:56, and with 33,s, 4:56 and 4:88 is going to get better mileage and feel like you gained 50hp. It’s going to work better in traffic , on hills and all around. It will pull.

Section 15 article 8 of the TJ forum code clearly states “ no forum member shall attempt to regear a manual 4.0 with 33” tires with any ratio taller than 4:56 and must seek a variance for different , non recommended ratios”

Part b goes on to say “ the forum community will not accept further threads with titles such as “my regear didn’t help” if the prior regulation is not followed. The guilty forum member will be treated respectfully , and offered extended financing on all Jk and Jl models as they move on with their new life.

My Jeep is a 1999 and I'm definitely looking to 'bigger' my wheels 31" or 33". I was planning next month to try doing a lift kit and get larger tires, but then I ran into the re-gear issue! :D
Pick one. 31 vs 33 changes many things including lift configuration and gearing.

Reactions: H_E_H
Pick one. 31 vs 33 changes many things including lift configuration and gearing.
Yep..effectively each size tire creates its own ratio. We will go ahead and approve 33’s today if you commit.

do you recommend that I go with 4.10 or 4.56 based on my intended usage/needs
My use is similar. '05 TJR, 33s, 4.10s. Honestly I wish I had 3.73 with 33s. Same,mostly pavement DD with lots of forestry roads. Your problem, using top gear as a performance gear. OD was never intended to be a power gear. It is intended to drop rpms, reduce gas consumption and emissions. You want power, drop a gear... or two. I have a 6 speed, I am often in 3rd on the highway pulling a trailer on a mountain grade.

But it sounds like yer sold on 4.10s or 4.56 so look at the source of the advice and ask, are they doing the same thing I do.

Your 6 speed is not comparable in any gearing discussion to any of the 5 speed manual transmissions. If you swapped a 5 speed in, you would not want 3.73's.
Now thats just stupid. 4th, 5 speed is the same as 5th 6 speed. Both are direct. And yeah, I'd still want 3.73s. I thought you were the smart guy on the block Blaine? You just looking for a pissing war?

Now thats just stupid. 4th, 5 speed is the same as 5th 6 speed. Both are direct. And yeah, I'd still want 3.73s. I thought you were the smart guy on the block Blaine? You just looking for a pissing war?
I think your pissing war might be one-sided. @mrblaine made that post about a year ago, and the last he was seen was June of this year.

You must realize by now, though, that there are few, if any, who will agree with you that 3.73 gears are acceptable for 33" tires, as much as you would like to have them. If that's your take, I say go that route and enjoy it. You won't find many followers...

Hate these old threads. But I know lots of guys running higher gears than any website recommends. Most just hate the pissing war and keep quiet.

But this pissing war was about a 5 speed vs a 6 speed. Drop a gear, they are identical. Even in top gear, OD they are virtually identical. All a 6 speed does is split the lower gears closer together. Close ratio, vs closer ratio.

Hate these old threads. But I know lots of guys running higher gears than any website recommends. Most just hate the pissing war and keep quiet.

But this pissing war was about a 5 speed vs a 6 speed. Drop a gear, they are identical. Even in top gear, OD they are virtually identical. All a 6 speed does is split the lower gears closer together. Close ratio, vs closer ratio.
Let's all regear based on the 32rh and ignore the OD gear.

Reactions: bp_95
There is a way to ignore members. I use it. It's glorious :D

Different opinions are great and should be welcomed. But some people just enjoy being contrarian for no reason other than to stir the proverbial pot. Thus the glory of the ignore feature.

Last edited: