Re-gear

The 42RLE is a special case with that outrageous 0.69OD.

I know... Anytime someone has a 42RLE I always encourage them to go lower with the gears. The overdrive on these things is indeed outrageous.

Nobody recommended 4.88 that I saw. The recommendation, which is a common and well used combination, was 4.56. If 4.10 is too low for you, so be it. But saying "screw what you read here," is a bit over the top.

And yes, I read the next post. 4.10 works for him, great. There is a difference between the 5 and 6 spds, however.

Nothing personal taken.

Reactions: JMT
He is not specifically but has done over a hundred differentials and has owned jeeps. He swears to me I should go with 4.10. But everything I read here says 4.56. Curious, do you know what the stock gear ratio is? Could it be a 3.09??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeep put 4.10 in the Rubicon with 31,s, and factories tend to be very conservative. You need 4.56. Gearing is one of those things where crappy, ok, and perfect all cost the same,so do not go with 4.10,s

Reactions: Rob5589 and StG58
FWIW,
In my old YJ I had a 4.2 w 5sp and I put in front and rear ARB with 456. This is what I found worked for me. It was crazy low geared on the freeway. like I didn't have to put on the brakes most of the time, I could just simply let off the gas, and it would slow down tremendously fast. It was almost annoying, but off road sometimes even in 4 low I wished it could crawl even slower. This is just my opinion.

At one point I bought a JK and sold it soon afterl, but it came with just shy of factory 33's and had 3:73, It definitely did better on the freeway than off-roading.

JMT here is my suggestion you can take it FWIW -

If you know you are set on 33's, put them on first and drive it on-road and off the way it is, Then if it drives you crazy, save up and upgrade your gearing later. I mean unless you know you are going to be off-roading more than on-roading. If you decide you don't like your 3:73 with your 33's, then I would go up to 4:56, because for the cost going from 3:73 to 4:10 isn't that much different, and you will most likely be disappointed in the price, but you may find that you are driving on-road more you may be fine with the 3:73 and 33's That is what some J/Ks come stock with, so it isn't ridiculous in my opinion.

It really comes down to what you want to do with your jeep the most. I am older now so admittedly I am on-road more than off, but I still like to take a weekend here and there and explore, fish and camp. So I need to build mine accordingly.

Thank you for your opinion. I think you may have saved me some money. Lol. I'm more of an on road. The only thing that bothers me is that on freeway speeds there is not enough power to keep it in fifth.

I've got a Rubi. 4.10s. 33s. Wish I had 3.73s. Depends on your use. Me, I do a lot of highway, a lot of forestry road and I tow a trailer most days.

So if you are constantly off road, no highway 4.56, 4.88 sure. But if your TJ is more of a daily driver, I'd recommend 4.10 or 3.73.

Stock lots of TJs came with 3.07s. I had that in a YJ. With 33s, I NEVER used 5th gear. And starting from a stop off road, I always used 4LO. But honestly for forestry road blasting, driving it like it was a Mustang.... the 3.07s were magic. The speed range in each gear meant never needing to shift. I ran uphill in 4HI, 2nd gear. Good for 15mph to 60mph. And downhill in 4LO, 3rd gear. The lower a rear end ratio you use the more you have to shift as speeds in each gear narrow.

So screw what you read here. Figure out how you drive, where you off road and pick the right ratio for your wheeling.

Totally appreciate your post!

Thank you for your opinion. I think you may have saved me some money. Lol. I'm more of an on road. The only thing that bothers me is that on freeway speeds there is not enough power to keep it in fifth.

Right now I am running 31x10.5 and 3:73 in my TJ. The only complaint I have is the pickup from 2nd to 3rd is not awesome. but it isn't ridiculous either. It is stock gearing with barely over sized tires, and it goes OK. It is not a 69 Camaro, but it drives and shifts normally. I can use 5th on the freeway. I am assuming that the type of driving I do I could even go 33's, and will be fine with 3:73 since that is what some J/ks come stock with, but if it were me, and I am set on getting 33's I would put them on first, and drive it around, and worry about gearing later. I mean if you are fine with it, then you are good, but if you need to re-gear you were going to anyway. Plus driving it around as is for a while may help you decide what gears are for you, so you don't have to re-gear more than once.

The tone here is everybody telling you what they did and what works for them. Find out what works for you before you are 2K in the hole.

It's hard to compare the JK with a 3.73 to the TJ. Different transmissions and engines will make a big difference and if you just keep going up in tire size and never re-gear then you never know what you are missing out on. I would say find someone that is running same motor, trans and the tire size you want and the 4.56 gear. Drive it and see what it feels like. Then that will give you a much better idea.

I am assuming that the type of driving I do I could even go 33's, and will be fine with 3:73 since that is what some J/ks come stock with.

While I like your other ideas, this one is just wrong.

Truth be told, if you want to do your Jeep right and revive the factory power band, change the differential ratios to reflect the modified tire size.

If you dont care about losing power then keep your differential geared incorrectly.

35" tires with 4.10 gears here. 6 speed. I was worried about having to regear after lifting and adding bigger tires but I've experienced no problems so I'm very doubtful that I'll go to the expense and hassle of having it done.

I sometimes have to downshift from 6th into 5th on an uphill at higher speeds but it's no big deal.

I'm not really sure what impact the 6 speed has vs. the 5 speed in this conversation so it may make a difference but I've found that 4.10 gears with 35" tires on a manual transmission presents no problems power-wise, acceleration-wise, etc. so I would think 33" tires with 4.10's would be fine.
Until you drive a properly geared vehicle. I thought my cj7 was"ok" with 32,s and 3.08 gears, until I switched to 4.10. It was like Forest Gump,s leg braces coming off. Bigger tires and tall gears also stress the driveline a lot more. It's like constantly towing a trailer. If you have an automatic tranny, it will die sooner.

Until you drive a properly geared vehicle. I thought my cj7 was"ok" with 32,s and 3.08 gears, until I switched to 4.10. It was like Forest Gump,s leg braces coming off. Bigger tires and tall gears also stress the driveline a lot more. It's like constantly towing a trailer. If you have an automatic tranny, it will die sooner.

I hear what you're saying, and you're probably right. I just did all of my mods basically at once so I need to let the wallet stop smoking before I take a look at regearing

To this in perspective I would love to give you a before and after experience of my TJ. I have a 5 Speed 4.0 on 33's with 3.07's currently. Absolutely hate it, will not drive this thing on the interstate unless I have too. I have a shop installing 4.88 into my replacement axles. I will let you know my current experience:

• When starting from a stop in first, the vehicle tries to bog & die. Its become a daily occurrence I don't think about it very much but driving other manual vehicles, its really annoying. This was not an issue on my smaller 30s.
  • Interstate travel I am 100% between 3-4th gear depending on if its downhill I am in 4th and uphill I am in 3rd. The vehicle has a hard time traveling very long distances and gets VERY hot due to the fact my highway rpm range is 3-3.2k depending on if I am traveling 65 or 70 (Satellite Speed).
  • I have not used 5th gear at all with the 3.07's, even with the 30's.
  • The engine is working way too hard, my fuel economy has plummeted to a solid 8-11mpg highway. God knows what I am getting city.
  • My AC stops working 1 hour into a road trip. I believe this to be a cause of the very high RPM's the engine is under load 100% of the time while traveling. My AC is brand new and is ungodly cold while at idle or driving around town. When the engine starts to get *very* hot, the AC stops blowing cold. JFFT.
A local Jeep club member who has 3.73's and a stroker let me drive his Jeep on 35's. It definitely feels very close to mine, just a little bit better due to the increased horsepower and better gearing.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, because this is my personal documented experience. I did not want to do gearing the same year I bought tires, but 3.07's got unbearable on my DD *very* quickly. I am picking up my axles next Wednesday and will update you once I get some drive time on them.

Edit: Also I am not reccomending 4.88, I just have full intention of going to 35’s in the future. Go with the reccomendation of 4.56s.

Well stated. I don't understand how people think that the gear ratio that comes with the stock 28" tires will work fine with 33's or larger. The fact that people do it and say it works fine only to add they no longer use one or two of the trans gears goes to show that the combo is not working. Like I've said before, people have a hard time dropping 1500 bucks on something they cannot show to their buddies like a new set of wheels, lift, stereo, etc.

Well stated. I don't understand how people think that the gear ratio that comes with the stock 28" tires will work fine with 33's or larger. The fact that people do it and say it works fine only to add they no longer use one or two of the trans gears goes to show that the combo is not working. Like I've said before, people have a hard time dropping 1500 bucks on something they cannot show to their buddies like a new set of wheels, lift, stereo, etc.
Very true.....a lot of Jeeps out there are products of conspicuous spending. Whenever I run into other Jeepers, I always ask what gears they're running,and far too many don't know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: Chris
Very true.....a lot of Jeeps out there are products of conspicuous spending. Whenever I run into other Jeepers, I always ask what gears they're running,and far too many don't know what I'm talking about.
Well, you don't need much gear to mall crawl :D

I'm running a stock JK size tire, with 4.10 gearing and the 5 speed. Went from a 245/75r16 to a 255/75r17. It's about an 1.5" difference in diameter...and awfully close to what a "33" tire would measure. I honestly didn't notice much difference with the new tires. I still start in 2nd, most of the time, and 75 on the highway is running my engine around 2600 rpm. Works for me. What has really scared me about regearing is all the driving problems that have been discussed on this forum when guys go to to higher ranges.

I'm running a stock JK size tire, with 4.10 gearing and the 5 speed. Went from a 245/75r16 to a 255/75r17. It's about an 1.5" difference in diameter...and awfully close to what a "33" tire would measure. I honestly didn't notice much difference with the new tires. I still start in 2nd, most of the time, and 75 on the highway is running my engine around 2600 rpm. Works for me. What has really scared me about regearing is all the driving problems that have been discussed on this forum when guys go to to higher ranges.
32" tire isn't bad on 4.10. Would I recommend 4.10 if someone was going to re-gear, no, I would still say 4.56. The 4.56 would bump you up about 200 rpm and give you a bit more low end and crawling. With the 4:1 case the Rubi has, crawling should not be an issue :D

It is rare to have issues after a re-gear. I honestly cannot recall one time where someone returned with vibration issues. It is likely the combo of the short wheelbase TJ, lift, driveline angles, and lower gear ratio. Not the gear change in of itself.

Reactions: JP98