Rear Bumper Recommendations

SMP440

Hello all,

I'm looking at replacing my stock rear bumper with one that I can mount the spare to. I like the simplistic designs like LOD and Rock Hard, BUT I have a sub $600 cap at this time. I'm conscious of weight and departure clearance along with making sure the shackle mounts are tied in. I also like the Slam latch styles.

So I'm looking at the china stuff (Hooke road, EAG, Paramount), although these look bulky in the pics. Questions if any of you have or have seen in person any of these in the slam latch style.

Please reference the brand you are commenting on.
1. Are the shackle mounts tied in?
2. Does it set lower than the O.E.M. bumper? If so about how much?

My Jeep came with a cheap after market front bumper with a winch. But the shackle mounts are not tied in. Heck the little flimsy bumper mounts on it may not hold a good winch out without the use of the shackle mounts

Any other brands I might not have seen on Ebay, Amazon Extreme off road, Qtec and so forth? I did see one from The Dirt Worx, looks pretty good. But I don't like the latch.

2003 TJ 2-2.5" lift 33" tires. May go to 3.5" lift with 35" tires down the road.
Thanks, Mike

Years ago I bought a Jeep with a Smittybilt bumper/carrier. It rattled, fit horribly and was constructed poorly. Off road it would unseat the latch and swing out. Every budget Chinese bumper I have seen has appeared to be of the same quality. Have you considered the Morryde? I replace my Warn swing away with it a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. If your set on the swing away then the Dirtworx would be a good option for your budget.

Thanks for the input. I look at the tailgate stuff l. But I don't feel like they would really relieve the stress on the body. Also I like being able to have basket and Jerry can options.
I know that the dirt worxs would be built better for sure. As I said, just prefer to have a slam latch, I think.

Thanks for the input. I look at the tailgate stuff l. But I don't feel like they would really relieve the stress on the body. Also I like being able to have basket and Jerry can options.
I know that the dirt worxs would be built better for sure. As I said, just prefer to have a slam latch, I think.
You're too picky. I like my LOD bumper, but don't need a swing away tire carrier and the added weight, for my tiny 35" spare.
RUBI skel 8 26 2 (4).jpg

rubi spare bumper (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

Last edited:
I have been holding off just keeping mine that way and throwing on a different bumper, this kind of pushes me that way even more, mine is just a little ol 33
I had a 35" spare on another Jeep for over 7 years and the tailgate still worked like new. The key is getting the weight off the hinges. I've done it a few different ways.
SPARE TIRE MOUNT (2).jpg

IMAG0011 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).JPG

We're using this Jeep to pull behind a motorhome. When not in the trails there will be a bike carrier on the back. I'm thinking if I get a tire carrier with a lower cross bar that comes at least to center. I can weld on a receiver and put the rack on it so it swings out with the the tire or tailgate. We also have a dog we take and it's hard to get him in and out when the carrier is stationary. Not sure my idea will work but looking for other input. Thanks again for all the input!

I'm not against the Single action bumpers. I just want to be able to have the rack swing open with the spare. Heck while typing I was just thinking, I think they make bike racks that mount to the spare tire itself.

I'm still planning on looking at the gate stuff.

@jscherb Wondering if they (tailgate bracing like exogate or others) would hold the stress if I weld a receiver on it to put a bike rack? I think we're talking 100ish pounds just for the rack with bikes, plus the normal 33-35" spare.

I'm not against the Single action bumpers. I just want to be able to have the rack swing open with the spare. Heck while typing I was just thinking, I think they make bike racks that mount to the spare tire itself.

I'm still planning on looking at the gate stuff.

@jscherb Wondering if they (tailgate bracing like exogate or others) would hold the stress if I weld a receiver on it to put a bike rack? I think we're talking 100ish pounds just for the rack with bikes, plus the normal 33-35" spare.
I often carry two bikes on my tailgate using an add-on cargo system I designed for the Exogate/MORryde tailgate reinforcement. The system is basically a pair of bolt-on vertical receivers that mount between the spare carrier and the tailgate reinforcement plus various cargo carrying accessories that slip into those receivers, one of which is a bike rack.

bikerack1_zpskmckgifo-jpg.jpg

bikerack5_zpssr3jqule-jpg.jpg

It's designed so the same parts can be installed on either the TJ or the JK; here's a video of it in action on my JKU:

More info in this thread: https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/exogate-cargo-system-prototype.32250/