Rear Bumper Suggestions

Barnes Tail Plate bumper. $129 + shipping. 3/16th off the rear crossmember and a little more where the tow attachment points are.

70A9F1DF-FE37-4186-87F6-DC6985E8B7E3.jpeg

0D9026CB-6773-4FD1-8D46-4901506263E7.jpeg

Reactions: John Cooper
The Barnes bumper doesn't extend the full width of the tub. Have an LJ and WILL be dragging the rear because of the lower departure angle. Want a bumper that will protect the tub all the way out to the edges. It is definitely tucked in and won't increase the departure angle.

The Barnes bumper doesn't extend the full width of the tub. Have an LJ and WILL be dragging the rear because of the lower departure angle. Want a bumper that will protect the tub all the way out to the edges. It is definitely tucked in and won't increase the departure angle.
For example...
20220523_144132.jpg

And LJ would be even more beaten up.

Reactions: pc1p
You're missing a handful of bolts
I’m aware. Wasn’t really trying to drop a tank full of gas over the weekend. The underneath bolts are sitting on my dining room table, but I want to get grade 8s so they all match.

Corner armor would have helped your cause…
Correct. That's why it's such a good example. And you can also see where mine might peel if the bumper didn't fully wrap the crossmember. Understand that my rear crossmember is also over an inch higher up than normal and I still catch it.

Reactions: rasband
Correct. That's why it's such a good example. And you can also see where mine might peel if the bumper didn't fully wrap the crossmember. Understand that my rear crossmember is also over an inch higher up than normal and I still catch it.

Yeah I see what you’re talking about. Dunno if that’s a 3x the cost solution to a problem I haven’t really had, but I suppose time will tell. Usually I’m catching my gas tank long before my bumper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I see what you’re talking about. Dunno if that’s a 4x the cost solution to a problem I haven’t really had but I suppose time will tell. Usually I’m catching my gas tank long before my bumper.
I used to have a fat wide beam bumper like Dirtworx. Eventually I found it was getting more and more in the way of forward progress. But it did a lot to protect the corners and minimized reliance on the gas tank skid. You choose what you want to use and abuse. For what I want do, I need corners to go along with my little bumper.

Last edited:
I used to have a fat wide beam bumper like Dirtworx. Eventually I found it was getting in the way more and more to where it was a problem with forward progress. But it did a lot to protect the corners and minimized reliance on the gas tank skid. You choose what you want to use and abuse. For what I want do, I need corners to go along with my little bumper.

This is what mine was replacing. I would hit the hitch on a lot of things and given that I think I put my bike rack on my Jeep once, I decided the hitch wasn’t really a priority for me. It stuck out a little more than the Barnes but not to the end of the tub.

I know smittybilt isn’t top of anyones list but in retrospect I am glad my Jeep was fully armored when I bought it because I know that wouldn’t have been as high of a priority for me as it should have and I’d probably be sitting here with a mangled up tub in worse shape than your back corner.

E7A26BBC-6002-4E07-AAF5-DA94F313F186.jpeg

This is what mine was replacing. I would hit the hitch on a lot of things and given that I think I put my bike rack on my Jeep once, I decided the hitch wasn’t really a priority for me. It stuck out a little more than the Barnes but not to the end of the tub.

I know smittybilt isn’t top of anyones list but in retrospect I am glad my Jeep was fully armored when I bought it because I know that wouldn’t have been as high of a priority for me as it should have and I’d probably be sitting here with a mangled up tub in worse shape than your back corner.

View attachment 332424
This is my thought process. I'm really just trying to protect the back with something more useful than the stock bumper and without spending a ton on it.

I'm also going to talk to my neighbor who is a welder by trade about modifying the factory bumper to suit my needs. He works for beer and has material laying around. I could see if he could weld some attachments and box a receiver in.

Reactions: pagrey