Rear differential leak

So I just discovered that my rear differential is leaking. The thing is the Stealership did service on it in 2018. They should fix this for free correct?
Really depends on what kind of service was performed on the diff. But I am saying your are incorrect.

2018 to 2020 is more than a enough time for something to go bad on its own. A bit of a stretch to cast the blame now.

Do you have a copy of the service ticket? Reason I ask is that sometimes a tech may write a reccomendation down on the ticket while performing the service you requested. But often, it doesnt get back to the client.

Example being; you have a rear cover leak serviced. The tech notices the pinion seal is also leaking. He Writes it on the ticket, the service writer overlooks it, and hands the keys back to you without any mention.

I find it interesting that you used the word, “stealership.” It seems as though you alrrady have your mind made up in that they caused the issue and want others to validate your same view. No need to play victim, find another shop to take it to that you feel confident in. If in your mind they didnt fix it the first time, why would you take it back?

Reactions: Steel City 06
I can't believe some of you are backing up the dealership on this. The service was done a year ago. It shouldn't be leaking!
It hasn’t leaked for a year, what’s a normal service warranty period? 30 days?

I think it’s best if you let people here help fix it and not worry about the blame side.

Reactions: Steel City 06
It vastly depends on what was serviced and where it is leaking currently. If it's leaking out a pinion seal and they only replaced a rear wheel bearing, it could be completely unrelated. Without that knowledge we have no way of knowing what the cause is.

Odds are it is unrelated to the service.

Where is it leaking (pinion seal, cover, axle seal, housing, etc.), and what was previously serviced?

20200301_213926.jpg

Looks like it is leaking from the differential cover. Could be from a bad sealant job, or from a nick, or even just the sealant going bad. I don't think a dealership would fix this under warranty, though it may not hurt to ask.

If you're capable of turning a wrench and doing an oil change, you can easily DIY this repair for about $30. A gasket is maybe 10 bucks, and oil maybe 20 bucks depending upon what you buy.

Look up instructions on how to change your differential fluid. You'll be removing those bolts, prying the cover off, draining the fluid, eliminating the old gasket, laying a new gasket, bolting it back up, and refilling. Should take 2-3 hours for someone with little experience. Most of that time will be spent cleaning off the old gasket.

I recommend getting a preformed gasket like a Fel-Pro or even a reusable gasket like a Lube Locker. RTV sealant is cheaper but is a little more tricky to work with.

Reactions: mattyice2
I'll call them and give it a try. It still does bother me a little though. If they don't help I am capable of doing a differential fluid change. I did one in my younger days. I'll just prepare to get messy. The leak doesn't look horrible yet so I won't have to rush into it.
I wouldn’t recommend embarrassing yourself. Don’t call them, just pull the cover and do the job yourself and make sure you don’t take shortcuts.

Posting a pic from under the diff (belly) and the pinion may help some “internet troubleshooting.” The pinion could be leaking and due to driving, the oil can run down the underside of the center section and make it appear that its the diff cover that is leaking.

Also, it’s common for the diff to start leaking from the cover if the differential breather is plugged. Check the breather as well. With all pressure building, and the breather being plugged, it can cause the diff cover gasket to leak.

Reactions: Jablinski
Drain the oil, remove the bolts and cover. Clean and reseal with Permatex Gear Oil RTV Sealant. Give it the 24 hours it calls for to set up and refill with oil. It will not leak again. I like Permatex Gear Oil RTV because it does not leak. Later I hate it if I have to remove the cover, takes some effort to break the bond.
B

you paid enough for that rear fluid change it should be warranted for life. :cry:

for real, right?! I paid an independent shop $140 to have a pinion seal replaced, which included a fluid change.

For something that takes a tech probably 45 minutes to an hour and takes about $25 in parts, that price is bordering on criminal.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob5589