Rear Disc Conversion Wheel Stud

XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a quick question regarding the rear wheel studs for the ZJ disc brake conversion on my Dana 35 2000 Sport. The stock ones are way to short to be safe. ZJ are only .16” longer I believe and I still think that would be too little thread engagement aswell. I have Pro Comp Alloy 1069 wheels so that could be why this is coming up as well. Any suggestions?

2A445488-7D25-4343-A78C-0E5B379570DA.jpeg

What it looks like doesn't matter at all, what matters is thread engagement. I think those are 1/2-13 and you need a diameter worth to be safe. That's (my math is terrible today - about seven) turns, let that determine if it's safe and nothing else.

Edit: Wow, double check the numbers, my math and specs are crazy, but that's what matters, I think it's 1/2-20 so that's 10 turns

What it looks like doesn't matter at all, what matters is thread engagement. I think those are 1/2-13 and you need a diameter worth to be safe. That's (my math is terrible today - about seven) turns, let that determine if it's safe and nothing else.

Edit: Wow, double check the numbers, my math and specs are crazy, but that's what matters, I think it's 1/2-20 so that's 10 turns

Makes sense, I got the ZJ studs since I thnk thats what I did on my XJ. So have the extra .16” or 3.2 turns over the stock stud. But I am curious now to see how many turn to tight it is right now. I already cleaned up for the night, but still need to do parking brake cables and diff fluid so ill check then.

0337E346-D49E-4760-90D4-D01DEB9C34DC.jpeg

Reactions: pagrey
I installed Dorman 610-449 studs when I did my disc conversion. They fit the Rubicon disc brake and are longer then the drum TJ studs. I tried the ET lugs, didn't fit my wheels and were a waste of money. If you have alloy axles and if they take screw-in studs then you should look for them (alloy axles are harder that the press-in studs and can be a bunch of trouble, ask me how I know).

Last edited: