Rear fog lamp switch not working?

Great! So, pins 30 and 85 on the new relay to battery plus via the fuse panel. A 5 amp fuse should cover it (3 would be better, maybe).

Isn't pin 85 the ground?
Previously, I wrote that 85 was ground, but it doesn't matter. Pins 85 and 86 on your new relay are interchangeable. They both go to either end of the relay coil and the coil is not polarity-specific.

Just a thought, as I'm slaving away, doing menial work but my mind is buzzing...

You may want to tie that into a switched ignition fuse. That way you won't forget to turn it off and come out to a dead battery.

Just a thought, as I'm slaving away, doing menial work but my mind is buzzing...

You may want to tie that into a switched ignition fuse. That way you won't forget to turn it off and come out to a dead battery.
I'm at my car as we speak. I tested out the switch on a EU Tj and it works. So at least I Know that the switch isn't the problem. I will connect everything together and power it directly from the battery to see if that works. If that works then I know that the fuse box from where I was getting the power was the issue. I'll keep you posted! Thanks!n

So what do I do with pins 30, 87, and pins 2 and 3 from the switch? I tried applying power to pin 2 on the switch and connecting pin 3 from the same switch to pin 86 on the relay and it just blows the fuse. ... All while also applying power to to pin 30 from the battery

Power from the battery- To pin 30 on the relay and pin 85 on the relay
Pin 86 on the relay to pin 2 on the switch (dark green with yellow tracer)
Pin 87 on the relay to pin 3 on the switch (brown with white tracer)
Pin 1 on the switch to a good ground (black wire)
Pin 4 on the switch to your dash lights (orange wire)

When you were connecting power on pin 2 of the switch (I bet the switch was "on"), you were shorting to ground.

Are you not using the existing wiring or can you not find the existing location of where the smart(ass) relay would go?

I will caution you, especially since I do not have a switch in hand, to make sure you are connecting the wires to the proper terminals on the switch. Does it have a wiring pigtail? (If so, I'm sure the colors are not the correct scheme) You will have to pay attention to where the locking tab is (in the pic in your first post) on the plug in reference to pin numbers and where they are on the switch.

OTH, if you want to pay my airfare...
(I don't eat much and I'm a neat-freak)

Reactions: doktormane
I did some digging. It looks like the wiring plug retainer is at the topside when plugged into the switch. That means, looking at the back of the switch, pin 1 is on the right. Looking straight on at the face of the wiring plug, if you have one, pin 1 is on the left.

So, on the back of the switch, left to right, it should be:
-Dash illumination wire, orange
-Pin 87 from your relay
-Pin 86 from your relay
-A good chassis ground

So
I did some digging. It looks like the wiring plug retainer is at the topside when plugged into the switch. That means, looking at the back of the switch, pin 1 is on the right. Looking straight on at the face of the wiring plug, if you have one, pin 1 is on the left.

So, on the back of the switch, left to right, it should be:
-Dash illumination wire, orange
-Pin 87 from your relay
-Pin 86 from your relay
-A good chassis ground
I do have a plug for the switch but it's not originally for a fog lamp so the wire colours don't match but I get what you're saying. I'll try connecting everything like you explained in the previous post and see what happens! Thanks!!!

Power from the battery- To pin 30 on the relay and pin 85 on the relay
Pin 86 on the relay to pin 2 on the switch (dark green with yellow tracer)
Pin 87 on the relay to pin 3 on the switch (brown with white tracer)
Pin 1 on the switch to a good ground (black wire)
Pin 4 on the switch to your dash lights (orange wire)

When you were connecting power on pin 2 of the switch (I bet the switch was "on"), you were shorting to ground.

Are you not using the existing wiring or can you not find the existing location of where the smart(ass) relay would go?

I will caution you, especially since I do not have a switch in hand, to make sure you are connecting the wires to the proper terminals on the switch. Does it have a wiring pigtail? (If so, I'm sure the colors are not the correct scheme) You will have to pay attention to where the locking tab is (in the pic in your first post) on the plug in reference to pin numbers and where they are on the switch.

OTH, if you want to pay my airfare...
(I don't eat much and I'm a neat-freak)
Thanks for the comprehensive explanation. Quick one, to what pin do I connect the fog lamp?

Fog lights?
With the way we are wiring this up, the dash switch will light up bright enough to be seen here across the big pond. Just before it burns out anyways.

Just kidding.
Tap it onto the switch pin 3/ relay pin 87 connection.

Fog lights?
With the way we are wiring this up, the dash switch will light up bright enough to be seen here across the big pond. Just before it burns out anyways.

Just kidding.
Haha. I'll be home from work in about 7 hours. I'll report back with the results! :)

Fog lights?

Just kidding.
Another question, where is a good spot to get the fused headlamp switch power?

Pin 2, light green wire off of your headlight switch (remove the steering column covers to access- you could then trace that light green wire farther down, actually tap into it outside of the steering column).

You could just do a switched ignition wire from the fuse panel behind the glove box.

Pin 2, light green wire off of your headlight switch (remove the steering column covers to access- you could then trace that light green wire farther down, actually tap into it outside of the steering column).

You could just do a switched ignition wire from the fuse panel behind the glove box.
Alright, so there's some good news and some bad news. The good news is that the fog lamp turns on! The bad news is that it stays on only if you keep the button pressed. I wonder if the "smart" part of that stupid green relay is to keep the fog lamp on after the button is pressed, as the switch is not a traditional 2 position switch that remains in the position you select (either on or off), after you press it, it goes back to it original position. What do you think?

Attachments

• VID_20200125_224814.mp4
    20.4 MB
Last edited: