Rear Locker Discussion

There is more certainty that the ARB is locked when I want it to be. I didn't have that with my Rubicon locker. But that could have what been a quirk of my locker. I have also broken two Rubicon lockers, but that's a different story.

Are you running 30 spline?

I have had front and rear ARB’s in my LJ for about 4 years. I have the bigger air pump from ARB so I can fill my tires. I have had zero issues with my ARB other than the car wash knocking the switch off the housing. I did purchase the spider gears and axles with the larger spline count. (30 I think) but have not installed yet. I like that arb’s engage and disengage right when you turn them on. I have been with friends running rubicon lockers that get hung up and won’t release. I have not separated the switch circuit as previously mentioned, I must turn on the rear to activate the front. I have not needed to just engage the front and put all that load on the 30. I have not heard horror stories of arb’s. Yes if you run the air line next to the exhaust it will melt, if you let it hang down it will get caught on something and get torn out, so will a wiring harness for an E locker. Use the same care running the air line as a wiring harness and you will have no problems.

You would do yourself a large favor by learning how the ARB lockers engage and disengage. Let me know if that appeals to you and I will guide you down the path of enlightenment. It is ridiculously simple to learn.

Reactions: hosejockey61
I have one in the TJ-6 and a spare and you can't have my spare cuz then I won't have a spare.

I have a new 33 spline ARB lined up to buy for Dana 44 and my gear ratio. Would that be the preferred locker?
Should I worry shafts are harder to find?

I have a new 33 spline ARB lined up to buy for Dana 44 and my gear ratio. Would that be the preferred locker?
Should I worry shafts are harder to find?

No worry on the shafts if you buy a set of spares and yes, I would run the 33 spline over anything else in a TJ rear Dana 44. You won't break them and they have enough torsional give to mitigate some of the upstream shock load.

Reactions: sunnysideup_lj
Crash locked? Does that involve locking it while at speed or something?

Crash lock refers to applying power to turn the tires before the locker is engaged internally. When that is done with enough frequency, it starts shearing the locking teeth on the clutches off at an angle until eventually it will only lock going forward and unlocks in reverse.

Crash lock refers to applying power to turn the tires before the locker is engaged internally. When that is done with enough frequency, it starts shearing the locking teeth on the clutches off at an angle until eventually it will only lock going forward and unlocks in reverse.

Ah ok, so would it be best to lock when stopped or would simply taking your foot of the gas for a moment be sufficient to avoid that?

Ah ok, so would it be best to lock when stopped or would simply taking your foot of the gas for a moment be sufficient to avoid that?

You want some slowish differential action to get the locking plates to line up and engage. That is why you see mention of an S turn when locking and unlocking a locker.

To illustrate, you can put the axle in jack stands with the tires off the ground. Engage the locker and turn a wheel by hand and see how much of a turn it requires before the lock actually occurs. Lock and unlock several times and post attention to what happens.

If you are on the trail, why are you unlocking it? But no, it has nothing to do with the throttle, it has to do with differential side to side action to rotate the locking clutches until they line up the teeth and mesh together. It is the application of power at any level while they are not meshed fully that does the damage.

These are a few kinds of locker designs. Look for the locking plates. These need to engage each other.
manual-locking-differential-500x500.jpg

lokka-bg.jpg

oxlocker_1.jpg

There's no valid reason IMHO to go with a 35 spline shaft in a Dana 44, a good quality 4340 30 spline shaft like from Revolution Gear holds up well to pretty much anything you can throw at it with 35's which is the TJ's realistic upper limit with factory axles. I've yet to have a rear axle shaft problem with my 4340 Superior Axle then Revolution Gear 30 spline shafts on mostly very tough to extremely tough trails. Most were pure rock crawling.

And for a locker I'd likely go for an Eaton E-Locker if I ever need a replacement.

View attachment 365961

Thems look like Arizona rocks

I have run an ARB and now using a Detroit with 33 spline shafts. The only issue I had with my ARB had nothing to with the ARB. I bent my housing and hosed the ARB and driver side splines. I do really like my Detroit though. It's nice not having to wonder if it's engaged or not. Road driving is a very short learning curve. I've heard they can be interesting on ice, but I don't drive my TJ in the winter so it doesn't matter to me. The Detroit is another alternative to consider. Having used both, I would go Detroit again even though I am setup to run air lockers.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
You would do yourself a large favor by learning how the ARB lockers engage and disengage. Let me know if that appeals to you and I will guide you down the path of enlightenment. It is ridiculously simple to learn.

Yes, enlighten me

Yes, enlighten me

Jack up one side of the axle with the locker until you can turn the tire. Hit the locker switch and turn the tire until the clutches engage fully and do that several times after unlocking each time and turning the tire to make sure it is unlocked. You will notice that it takes from zero to several inches of tread movement to get it locked.

With it locked and assuming a mud tire, take one finger and pull against a lug with some force but no more than one finger's worth. While you are holding that, have someone hit the locker switch to turn the locker off. The tire won't move because it only takes a very small mount of side load on the clutch teeth to stop the clutch from moving. It has to be that way in order for the locker to engage. The actuator has to be able to overcome the force of the spring(s) that push the two halves apart. That means they have to be able to be compressed by the actuator force so they are relatively light.

Jack up one side of the axle with the locker until you can turn the tire. Hit the locker switch and turn the tire until the clutches engage fully and do that several times after unlocking each time and turning the tire to make sure it is unlocked. You will notice that it takes from zero to several inches of tread movement to get it locked.

With it locked and assuming a mud tire, take one finger and pull against a lug with some force but no more than one finger's worth. While you are holding that, have someone hit the locker switch to turn the locker off. The tire won't move because it only takes a very small mount of side load on the clutch teeth to stop the clutch from moving. It has to be that way in order for the locker to engage. The actuator has to be able to overcome the force of the spring(s) that push the two halves apart. That means they have to be able to be compressed by the actuator force so they are relatively light.

That is how I thought it worked. Once engaged the load is on the clutch assembly with very little or no load on the actuator the clutch is taking all the force. I have not had one apart yet to really dissect it.

That is how I thought it worked. Once engaged the load is on the clutch assembly with very little or no load on the actuator the clutch is taking all the force. I have not had one apart yet to really dissect it.

The actuator part has very little to do with it. The only load on the actuator is from moving the clutch to engage but that doesn't change whether it is locked or unlocked.