Rear lockers not engaging

Chapman4266

TJ Enthusiast
06 Rubicon stock lockers not engaging. The pump is working, hoses intact, fill plug is not interfering, light on dash just flashes and lockers never lock in. I have made sure by checking whether or not both tires are pulling. They aren’t. Front lockers work perfectly. I don’t have and haven’t had any noise to make me think it failed internally, but I don’t know a lot about lockers. Any ideas?

Try driving in an "S" pattern while the light is flashing. Alternatively, you could jack up the rear end and manually spin the tires to see if they lock.

Another thought....
When you say the pump is working are you sure it is building pressure? I had one of my pumps fail on me and it would just endlessly run. A simple test would be to unplug the airlines from the rear and swap it with the front.

Last edited:
With the ignition on, but the engine not running and in 4L, engage the locker, remove the hose at the diff. Plug it with your finger. Does the pump shut off?

If not, your problem is up stream.

If yes, your problem is in the diff.

Another thought....
When you say the pump is working are you sure it is building pressure? I had one of my pumps fail on me and it would just endlessly run. A simple test would be to unplug the airlines from the rear and swap it with the front.
I can remove the hose at diff and it is pumping air. Probably 5psi or so

With the ignition on, but the engine not running and in 4L, engage the locker, remove the hose at the diff. Plug it with your finger. Does the pump shut off?

If I have air at the rear, what upstream probs are you suggesting?

I’ll try that right now

Reactions: jjvw
Pump shuts off when I plug the hose

Your problem is at the diff. Is the connection at the nipple snug? If the nipple is rusty, air can leak.

This is the interior hose. See where mine is secured with extra wire? That is a common connection to pop loose.
20190824_130215.jpg

Hopefully it isn't the actuator.

Your problem is at the diff. Is the connection at the nipple snug? If the nipple is rusty, air can leak.

This is the interior hose. See where mine is secured with extra wire? That is a common connection to pop loose.
View attachment 111797

Hopefully it isn't the actuator.
Connection on the outside is good. West Texas Jeep zero rust. I mean zero. I’ll pull diff cover and look at it.

Reactions: Alex01
So do you have the axle jacked up, with the diff cover off, all hoses connected, turn the compressor on, the compressor keeps running and the tires still spin independently?

If you still have the cover off, which by the sounds of it, you dont. I'd suggest pulling the cover. unhooking the hose from the locker and put your finger over the end. If the pump shuts off, then you know its the locker. If it keeps running then you need a new connection piece that runs through the diff housing.

If the compressor stops, then you know its the actual locker not engaging and your bladder is leaking or the plate mechanism isn't working. Which you should be able to watch the locking mechanism slide over as you turn the compressor on