Rear lockers not engaging

So do you have the axle jacked up, with the diff cover off, all hoses connected, turn the compressor on, the compressor keeps running and the tires still spin independently?

If you still have the cover off, which by the sounds of it, you dont. I'd suggest pulling the cover. unhooking the hose from the locker and put your finger over the end. If the pump shuts off, then you know its the locker. If it keeps running then you need a new connection piece that runs through the diff housing.

If the compressor stops, then you know its the actual locker not engaging and your bladder is leaking or the plate mechanism isn't working. Which you should be able to watch the locking mechanism slide over as you turn the compressor on
It has to be the locker. Pump shuts off when I plug the hose inside diff. Oh boy.

Reactions: Kevin Bright
It has to be the locker. Pump shuts off when I plug the hose inside diff. Oh boy.
Crown makes replacement actuators but I haven't heard anything positive or negative about them.

@Jerry Bransford has replaced one before with an oem unit so maybe he will chime in.

Mopar part number 52104611AA

Hook up the hoses, have someone flip the switch and record the locker to see if anything moves. @Jerry Bransford i believe has mentioned he rebuilt a locker. I wonder if he has any advice. I haven't rebuilt one myself but will be taking my old one apart to see what broke. Mine grenaded 2 weeks ago and is currently being switched out for an ox locker and a regear

Reactions: Chapman4266
Here’s a cutaway view of the rear Rubicon Dana 44.

73AEC076-AB99-4A19-8E53-4089CCA4D92A.jpeg

Slow down and pull the cover back off and follow the trail to the end. You need to keep looking at stuff.

The actuator visibly moves when pressurized. When pressurized, one wheel needs to be spun in order to get the locking plates to engage. There will be an audible click when this happens.

Hook up the hoses, have someone flip the switch and record the locker to see if anything moves. @Jerry Bransford i believe has mentioned he rebuilt a locker. I wonder if he has any advice. I haven't rebuilt one myself but will be taking my old one apart to see what broke. Mine grenaded 2 weeks ago and is currently being switched out for an ox locker and a regear
Never rebuilt a locker, have only replaced its air bladder a couple times.

Never rebuilt a locker, have only replaced its air bladder a couple times.
Slow down and pull the cover back off and follow the trail to the end. You need to keep looking at stuff.

The actuator visibly moves when pressurized. When pressurized, one wheel needs to be spun in order to get the locking plates to engage. There will be an audible click when this happens.
Actuator does not move when getting air. I can move it with a gentle screwdriver and it sounded like it was leaking air. When I move it over, the leaking noise gets louder/changes. Pretty sure I’m gonna have to put an actuator in it. @Jerry Bransford do you have a write up/advice for this?

You will need to remove the bearing, replace the actuator, and press on a new bearing. That is all there is to it. Not difficult if you have the tools.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I'm learning as an LJR that I recently test drove would not lock the front axle. Do you recommend dif cover gaskets over RTV? Seems like it would be easier in cases like this.

Actuator does not move when getting air. I can move it with a gentle screwdriver and it sounded like it was leaking air. When I move it over, the leaking noise gets louder/changes. Pretty sure I’m gonna have to put an actuator in it. @Jerry Bransford do you have a write up/advice for this?
Just to be clear you lifted the rear axle and spun one of the tires while the locker pump was turned on correct?

I'm learning as an LJR that I recently test drove would not lock the front axle. Do you recommend dif cover gaskets over RTV? Seems like it would be easier in cases like this.
I swapped to the gasket and they are great. I've had them off a few times since and they still work great. No more RTV for me.

Just to be clear you lifted the rear axle and spun one of the tires while the locker pump was turned on correct?
Yep.

I swapped to the gasket and they are great. I've had them off a few times since and they still work great. No more RTV for me.

You will need to remove the bearing, replace the actuator, and press on a new bearing. That is all there is to it. Not difficult if you have the tools.

I don’t have a press. Gonna be fun since I live in a small town with nothing open on weekends. I might try to bake the bearing and see if it will slide on. I can’t bake the actuator, so.... I’ll just have to tear it down and get someone to drop it off for me. I go to work before anything is open and get off too late. I guess I’m going to look into getting a press. There are several things I need it for.

The bearing won't slide off or on. You can carefully cut the old one off with a cut off wheel and a chisel. The new one needs to be pressed.

Reactions: Alex01
Is there room to remove the carrier on a stock height Jeep? Barely enough to get the cover off. I gain a little by jacking it up by rear bumper to help get the tank out of the way. Just wondering if anyone knew before I get in there and find out the hard way

Is there room to remove the carrier on a stock height Jeep? Barely enough to get the cover off. I gain a little by jacking it up by rear bumper to help get the tank out of the way. Just wondering if anyone knew before I get in there and find out the hard way
Chock the front wheels and jack it up by the diff housing and put a jack stand on either side of the frame by the skid plate (if you have them). Then lower the jack under the diff housing and that will let the suspension droop down a little which will help get the diff away from everything else.