Great write up! I'm in the middle of replacing a manifold/exhaust gasket anyway and figured while I have everything out I might as well get this done too. Also got a new valve cover gasket. Contemplating on the oil pump while I'm in there. I have a lift in my shop which has been an incredible help with everything. My body and bones got tired of the cold concrete. Been there done that. One thing I told my wife when we decided to build a new house....I need a shop. Very fortunate to turn it into what I've always dreamed (y)

View attachment 155805
Thats a very good woman you have there.

Reactions: hosejockey61
Must be nice! I went ahead and replaced my oil pump while I was in there. I took maybe extra 30 minutes and that’s included priming the new pump before first start. If you do I wouldn’t go for one of those high volume oil pumps seems to me it would just be harder on the cam gear for nothing.

My only hesitation was getting it primed correctly. When I had a CJ5 I remember using a drill with a long bit through the distributor area. You have tips for the 4.0? I suppose I can look at the FSM but I recall somebody saying they had to source a gear or something to get it to work...

My only hesitation was getting it primed correctly. When I had a CJ5 I remember using a drill with a long bit through the distributor area. You have tips for the 4.0? I suppose I can look at the FSM but I recall somebody saying they had to source a gear or something to get it to work...
They make a special tool for it but I just made one out of a old flat tip screwdriver I had laying around that fit just perfect. Besides that I just used a drill like you said nothing to it.

Please excuse my ignorance as I haven't researched this at all yet, how do you access the slot? With a coil pack instead of a distributor...

Hey there , just a small question , did any of you used mopar gasket sealer compound on oil pan while fixing RMS .Thanks

I used anaerobic gasket maker on the front and back of the pan as shown in step 14. So far no leaks on 2 pans and 15k miles or so.

I went to pick up parts today at local Jeep dealer since I found mopar oil pan gasket better and difference is $15 in price compering to Fel Pro @amazon . One of the Mechanics suggested to me to spray some of the Mopar Sealer Gasket Compound on both sides of my oil pan gasket to make installation easier so I was wondering did any of you use this Spray on Sticky Compound ? Cheers

I went to pick up parts today at local Jeep dealer since I found mopar oil pan gasket better and difference is $15 in price compering to Fel Pro @amazon . One of the Mechanics suggested to me to spray some of the Mopar Sealer Gasket Compound on both sides of my oil pan gasket to make installation easier so I was wondering did any of you use this Spray on Sticky Compound ? Cheers
I used a bit of black RTV silicone on each side of the gasket at the front and back where the bends in the gasket are. I used the fel pro gasket though.

I don’t understand this . Use rtv or anaerobic and what corners do you mean after installing bearing cap ?

Yes , check the picture , I did mine and it's not leaking
A2EC0F57-9C46-4F01-8708-3A0CBDE1B8F4.jpeg

Reactions: BigWheel88
I don’t understand this . Use rtv or anaerobic and what corners do you mean after installing bearing cap ?
The anaerobic sealant goes between the bearing cap and the block. Small amounts. I referred to the service manual I found on this forum as far as how I applied it.

Then I used some black rtv at the corners of the oil pan gasket itself. I also laid a thin bead of rtv on the oil pan gasket against the bearing cap itself. So far I have great results and I’m even running synthetic at the moment.

Reactions: BigWheel88
Yes , check the picture , I did mine and it's not leaking
View attachment 170313
The anaerobic sealant goes between the bearing cap and the block. Small amounts. I referred to the service manual I found on this forum as far as how I applied it.

Then I used some black rtv at the corners of the oil pan gasket itself. I also laid a thin bead of rtv on the oil pan gasket against the bearing cap itself. So far I have great results and I’m even running synthetic at the moment.
Got it
I took it as

did you put rtv inside the half moon of the bearing cap where bottom half of seal drops in. I’ve seen people do that in videos . I know about the anaerobic on metal part of cap and on the block. And I understand the oil pan rtv too.

Got it
I took it as

did you put rtv inside the half moon of the bearing cap where bottom half of seal drops in. I’ve seen people do that in videos . I know about the anaerobic on metal part of cap and on the block. And I understand the oil pan rtv too.
No need for any sealant on the seal itself. Give it a light coating of oil before installing, wet your fingers and massage it in.

I would also recommend installing each seal portion with an offset. Leave a little bit of the seal hanging out of the block and then leave it pushed in a little bit on the bearing cap, so where the seals meet isn’t on the same seam as the block to bearing cap.

Pic from page 11

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/dsc00693-1493913075-jpg.147751/

Reactions: Pcleaners2
No need for any sealant on the seal itself. Give it a light coating of oil before installing, wet your fingers and massage it in.

I would also recommend installing each seal portion with an offset. Leave a little bit of the seal hanging out of the block and then leave it pushed in a little bit on the bearing cap, so where the seals meet isn’t on the same seam as the block to bearing cap.

Pic from page 11

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/dsc00693-1493913075-jpg.147751/
Did you install anaerobic on both bearing cap and block or just cap like Chris’s write up. The fsm calls for a bead on the block too. That’s what’s confusing me. But yes offset sounds good

Did you install anaerobic on both bearing cap and block or just cap like Chris’s write up. The fsm calls for a bead on the block too. That’s what’s confusing me. But yes offset sounds good
Whatever the FSM said. I think both. Mine is a 2004 and actually doesn’t look the same as the one in the writeup - that type of seal can’t be offset.

I forget what year they changed over but if yours looks a little different when you take it apart, don’t be alarmed.