That sucks and that is wayyyy too much money. If they don’t refund you complain through the bank or cc for a refund. Keep a paper trail of all conversations with the repair place. Is it pouring out, then I would say it’s something else. Mine was just an annoying drip and driveway stains. Getting the money back may take months but keep on it. I am sure if you were near one of us we would help or try teaching out to a local Jeep club for help or recommendations like trusted mechanics
I wonder if they actually used anaerobic sealer?

Does anyone know if the fel-pro oil pan gasket can be re-used? RMS is leaking bad and looks like the PO has replaced the oil pan gasket already since I can see the blue gasket.

Does anyone know if the fel-pro oil pan gasket can be re-used? RMS is leaking bad and looks like the PO has replaced the oil pan gasket already since I can see the blue gasket.

For how much work it is, the insurance of a new gasket is worth it.

The last time I dropped the pan, the gasket ripped.

20220625_160611.jpg

Reactions: Irun and DropTopDon
This article was originally written by Michael Kang, owner of DailyDrivenTJ.com. I take no credit for this article. Just sharing a great how-to article with the TJ community.

View attachment 2557

When the time came for me to replace the leaky rear main seal on my TJ, I searched online for a decent write up. Some of them were ok, but none of them were good enough to really show the potential DIY to see what is really going down with the repair. Besides many were lacking crucial details, explanations and/or without pictures. I decided to bring something that is more than a write up with 5 pictures. You won't be disappointed with the amount of detail shown in this write up.

Anyhow, chances are, if you own 4.0L I6, you will have a rear main seal leaking on you. As shown in the picture above, the symptom is a engine oil leak between the engine and the transmission. This repair costs anywhere from $300 to $600 depending on where you get the repair done. Surprisingly, all the parts only cost around $50. Not saying it is easy to do, but this repair is not all that hard to do it yourself. With the this guide available in DDTJ, you will know exactly what you are getting yourself into as usual.

Tools and Parts Needed

Here are the pictures of the parts you will need to hunt down.

Anaerobic Gasket Maker (it cures when there is no oxygen.)

View attachment 2554

Rear Main Seal (2 pieces)
View attachment 2555

Oil Pan Gasket (Click on the image to see the part number.)
View attachment 2556

Some instruction that were included in the oil pan seal and the rear main seal.
View attachment 2559

View attachment 2558

Job Hours
Takes about 2-6 hours.

Procedure
1. Remove the oxygen sensor from the down pipe. Remove the bolts and nuts holding the down pipe to the header. You will have to move the pipe around so that you can lower the oil pan later.
View attachment 2561

2. Drain the engine oil. I have SureDrain by Fram installed on the oil pan.
View attachment 2560

3. Chrysler used different sized bolts to hold the oil pan to the engine block. I think they used 1/2 inch and another size. I took several pictures of the bolts and where they are located so I don't I have to remember them where they go back. Here they are, for your reference. Start removing them and put them in a safe place.
View attachment 2562 View attachment 2563 View attachment 2564 View attachment 2565 View attachment 2566 View attachment 2567

4. Once the oil pan is out of the Jeep, this is what it looks like. Your engine may look different with less brown. My Jeep is 10 years old, JFYI.
View attachment 2568

5. Remove the main bearing cap brace by removing 12 bolts. This is the long stick shown in the following picture.
View attachment 2569

6. With the main bearing cap brace removed, remove the rear main bearing cap.
View attachment 2570 View attachment 2571

You will have to wiggle the cap loose front to back, not side to side.
View attachment 2572 View attachment 2573

7. Remove the top half of the seal by driving it out of the block. Use extreme caution not to score/dent/scratch anywhere. One small nick or scratch can cause leak and is no longer repairable. As you remove the seal, note the orientation of the seal. The seal is opening towards the front of the vehicle.
View attachment 2574 View attachment 2575 View attachment 2576

Here is what they look like removed from the engine. The top half and the bottom half is shown here.
View attachment 2577 View attachment 2578

Notice how the old seal has lost its shape. *Blue residue shown on the new seal is wheel bearing grease.
View attachment 2579

8. Start cleaning the mating surfaces. Make sure things are cleaned down to the metal without removing any metal. I used old tooth brush with a lot of elbow grease. Make sure there is no oily residue left. This is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL for the success of this repair. One little residue of old sealant will cause leak. Oiled surface does not allow the adhesive to adhere properly. I used a paint prepping agent to clean the surface. Pay particular attention to the areas indicated by the arrow.

Before
View attachment 2580 View attachment 2583

After
View attachment 2584 View attachment 2585

While you are cleaning the bearing cap, if the bearing falls out of the cap, put it back on the cap with a bit of grease to go between the two pieces. It only goes in one direction.
View attachment 2582 View attachment 2581 View attachment 2586

Clean the engine block where the bearing cap mates against free of any residue whatsoever! This cannot be stressed enough! Clean ANY mating surface ABSOLUTELY free of any old sealant and any type of residue!! Remember you have to do this WITHOUT damaging/scoring the metal!
View attachment 2587

This is a picture of two pieces of paper towels. Left one is used to absorb the oil from the bottom of the oil pan. The one on the right is virgin oil. There was considerable amount of solid stuck on the bottom of the oil pan.
View attachment 2588

9. Start cleaning the oil pan. Remove the old gasket and clean the mating surface with mild wire wheel. I cleaned the surface with paint prepping agent once again. this gets rid of any oil residues left behind.
View attachment 2589

Here is how they should look after you are done cleaning.
View attachment 2590 View attachment 2591

10. Install the upper half of the seal after lubing with some engine oil. DO NOT PUT ANY SEALANT ON THIS SEAL! With the seal's lip opening towards the front of the vehicle.

*Here is one crucial detail that every online write up fails to emphasize. As you push in the upper half of the seal, if you do not follow (as you push the seal) the circle channel carefully, you will cut the seal and this will guarantee the rear main seal to leak again.
View attachment 2593

So how do you install the upper seal without cutting it up? Fel-Pro included this nifty thin plastic that you wedge between the channel and the seal to keep it from getting cut. *I saw the same seal kit that included this plastic piece, and some did not. Your mileage may vary.
View attachment 2592 View attachment 2594 View attachment 2595 View attachment 2596

Notice the orientation of the seal where the mouth of the seal opens toward the front of the vehicle. Once seal is in place, simply pull the plastic out.
View attachment 2597

11. Start applying Chrysler Anaerobic Sealant or Loctite 518 on the rear main bearing cap mating surfaces as shown in the following picture. You DO NOT NEED MUCH. It is CRUCIALthat you DO NOT get any of this sealant on the lip of the seal! Make sure you compensate for the spread of the sealant once it is jammed between the surfaces. Put some engine oil on the bearing!!
View attachment 2598 View attachment 2599 View attachment 2600

*Anaerobic Sealant starts curing after when it is isolated from the atmosphere unlike most RTVs. Some may say they got away with using RTV. They got away. I am not sure if you will. I also noticed the anaerobic sealer had different viscosity compare to the red RTV that I used on the oil pan gasket. BTW it is the factory service manual that is calling for this Loctite 518 or equivalent. There is no Loctite 518 available in the local part store which is the anaerobic sealant. You will have to get this sealant from the dealer.

12. Install the main bearing cap and torque the bolts to 80ft.lbs.

View attachment 2601

13. Install the bearing brace and torque the bolts to 35ft.lbs.
View attachment 2602

14. Place the oil pan gasket on the pan. I used RTV on the crucial area at the front of the block and where the rear bearing cap. I can use RTV here, because this is to seal something that is not moving against anything. Notice that I used RTV on both the top and the bottom of the oil pan gasket. *MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE MATING SURFACE OF THE ENGINE BLOCK FREE OF ANY SEALANT AND OILY RESIDUE! I used paint prepping solvent to clean the surface.
View attachment 2603 View attachment 2604 View attachment 2605 View attachment 2606 View attachment 2607

15. Install the oil pan but while doing so make sure the rear main bearing cap's groove lines up with the oil pan gasket. Also pay particular attention to gasket on the front of the engine. It has built in grooves that has to sit just right. Tighten the bolts to 84in/lbs for the 1/4" bolts, and 132in/lbs for the 5/16" bolts.
View attachment 2608

16. Install the down pipe back on the header and install the oxygen sensor back on the down pipe and JUST hand tight it down. It just needs to be on there tight enough so it won't fall back out on its own.
View attachment 2609

17. Replace the oil filter and put in 5qt of oil and watch the dip stick to top off. *I learned my jeep even tough it was almost bone dry (which I left it to drain for two days while I was working on the rear end.) it did not take the full 6qts. More like 5 and 1/2 qts total to have it read "Full" on the dip stick.
View attachment 2610 View attachment 2611

18. Enjoy leak free engine! No more oil spots on the driveway! Pat yourself on the back, you saved a few hundred dollars!

Awesome. Thank you for putting this together. Getting started tonight.

Reactions: Chris
So, I completed the RMS replacement. Did everything by the book and took great care with the install. Been driving for a day or two and now the puddles are bigger than before. I pulled the cover that goes over the back of the oil pan and it had oil in the lip. Could this be the transmission leaking? It does appear that my valve cover gasket is leaking, but I can't see that making it's way into that little cover.

I just wanted to chime in and say my rear main seal started leaking last year, and after changing my oil with conventional (three weeks ago) there are no more leaks. Keeping an eye on it, was surprised when my drip pan had zero drops of oil. I bought my TJ with 27k miles and I know the previous owner only used conventional. I had changed the oil on this about 4-5 times since, each time with synthetic. Engine was noisier but that was really the only downside apart from RMS starting to leak (didn't think it was related but maybe it was).

Anyhow, after doing some reading it seems the 4.0L prefers conventional. I know there is a lot of debate out there on which oil to use but if conventional means I don't have leaks, I'm sold.

I just wanted to chime in and say my rear main seal started leaking last year, and after changing my oil with conventional (three weeks ago) there are no more leaks. Keeping an eye on it, was surprised when my drip pan had zero drops of oil. I bought my TJ with 27k miles and I know the previous owner only used conventional. I had changed the oil on this about 4-5 times since, each time with synthetic. Engine was noisier but that was really the only downside apart from RMS starting to leak (didn't think it was related but maybe it was).

Anyhow, after doing some reading it seems the 4.0L prefers conventional. I know there is a lot of debate out there on which oil to use but if conventional means I don't have leaks, I'm sold.

What brand/type of oil did you use?

What brand/type of oil did you use?

Penzoil

I can't say that it is 100% what stopped the leak. Driving habits have not changed either. Could have also been temperature changes (getting warmer) but it was still cold out when it stopped leaking.

Reactions: al07
Penzoil

I can't say that it is 100% what stopped the leak. Driving habits have not changed either. Could have also been temperature changes (getting warmer) but it was still cold out when it stopped leaking.

Similar happened to me. Rear main was leaking, I decided to replace it, ended up doing it twice. On the first, something definitely went wrong and there was a much larger leak. On the second, it still leaked a bit with synthetic oil in there. I decided to switch to conventional, and the leak kept slowing down, now after a month or so, it’s completely gone. No seepage at all. I’m not positive it was the conventional, but it seems likely.

Reactions: Gilly11277
I use NAPA High Mileage 10W-30 Conventional.

View attachment 415769

Is this really conventional oil? I thought it was a synthetic blend. The napa website doesnt specify... But it does specify that the one in the blue bottle (non high mileage version) is conventional oil.
Not sure if it matters tho, as long as it has the additives to rejeuvinate the seals it's ok?

Is this really conventional oil? I thought it was a synthetic blend. The napa website doesnt specify... But it does specify that the one in the blue bottle (non high mileage version) is conventional oil.
Not sure if it matters tho, as long as it has the additives to rejeuvinate the seals it's ok?

I just checked the bottle (bought some today) and there is no blend or synthetic mentioned anywhere. The label looks exactly like the blue bottle except for the high mileage wording. I'm pretty sure Jerry Bransford has said this is conventional oil....maybe he'll see this and weigh in.

Reactions: al07
Just found this on the NAPA website......I'm so confused!

Conventional High Mileage Motor Oil​

NAPA High Mileage Synthetic Blend Motor Oil is formulated with advanced additive technology and highly refined, premium quality base stocks to be a better lubricant and improve performance for engines over 75,000 miles.

Reactions: Mike Z
Just found this on the NAPA website......I'm so confused!

Conventional High Mileage Motor Oil​

NAPA High Mileage Synthetic Blend Motor Oil is formulated with advanced additive technology and highly refined, premium quality base stocks to be a better lubricant and improve performance for engines over 75,000 miles.

I thought I saw that somewhere! :D