Rebuild, replace, or upgrade Trac Loc?

JakeQ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My Dana 44 came with Trac Loc and as someone pointed out its probably shot after 81k miles. I'm trying for now to keep this Jeep simple, frugal and effective. It already came with a Dana 44, a blutooth stereo and an aftermarket amp. I'm cutting down the bumper and adding a winch plate, and I'm part sourcing a 2" lift so I don't have to pay $1000 for a kit with shocks I don't want. So the question is, rebuild, replace, or simply buy something like a true locker?

If it was mine I would save up for a selectable locker. I think the clutch packs on the Trac Loc's are only good for 50k miles or so IIRC

Reactions: JakeQ
I doubt your TracLok is worn out already. I have the same Dana 44 with TracLok, and when I re-geared at 140k miles, the clutches were still in good shape. I went ahead and replaced them anyway since I was in there.

Mine gets the "two wheel peel" on the lawn. I assumed that meant the clutches were good. Would both rear tires spin if the limited slip was shot?

Yes, because both tires have the same amount of grip.

Best way ive found to test a lsd is to put one tire on the gravel sholder with the other on the road.

My Dana 44 came with Trac Loc and as someone pointed out its probably shot after 81k miles. I'm trying for now to keep this Jeep simple, frugal and effective. It already came with a Dana 44, a blutooth stereo and an aftermarket amp. I'm cutting down the bumper and adding a winch plate, and I'm part sourcing a 2" lift so I don't have to pay $1000 for a kit with shocks I don't want. So the question is, rebuild, replace, or simply buy something like a true locker?
What @tworley said, save for a selectable.
I've run a trac loc for over 100,000 miles. It does nothing but let me have a little fun in the rain. On the trail it is very close to worthless. I wouldn't rebuild mine even if somebody gave me the parts for free, it just isn't worth the time or effort. Obviously it depends on the type of trails you run and the road conditions. I don't deal with snow or much mud.

Mine gets the "two wheel peel" on the lawn. I assumed that meant the clutches were good. Would both rear tires spin if the limited slip was shot?
That can happen with even an open differential which still splits the torque 50:50 to both sides. With equal traction under both tires both sides will spin.

Reactions: Daryl and JakeQ
You could go with a Detroit True trac limited slip. Not as good as a selectable locker for off road but good for snowy roads.
I dont get snowy roads very often here in Co Springs. I just need to make sure I have one locked end off pavement if I need it, winch for anything else.

I dont get snowy roads very often here in Co Springs. I just need to make sure I have one locked end off pavement if I need it, winch for anything else.
If you need to have one end "locked" the trac loc is not an option in my book. It isn't a locker, it is a limited slip with emphasis on slip. Put a selectable in the rear, you'll be a happy camper. I run a front lunchbox but wish I listened to my own advice.

If you need to have one end "locked" the trac loc is not an option in my book. It isn't a locker, it is a limited slip with emphasis on slip. Put a selectable in the rear, you'll be a happy camper. I run a front lunchbox but wish I listened to my own advice.
Local shop suggested I put limited slip in front and rear of my 2005 TJ (for $1800). What would the advantage be having this?

Local shop suggested I put limited slip in front and rear of my 2005 TJ (for $1800). What would the advantage be having this?
You might consider starting a new thread to ask the question, tell a bit about your Jeep and the type of driving you'll be doing. You'll get much better answers.

We refer to those as 'trash-locs' at the shop I work in. Most often when a customer comes in with a worn out Trac-loc it is most cost effective to replace it with an Eaton True-Trac. The True-Trac isn't cheap but the cost of R&R and labor to replace the clutches in the Trac-Loc comes out about even. The True-Trac will last much longer and it is much smoother in operation (no clunks or pops or steering effects).

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
We refer to those as 'trash-locs' at the shop I work in. Most often when a customer comes in with a worn out Trac-loc it is most cost effective to replace it with an Eaton True-Trac. The True-Trac isn't cheap but the cost of R&R and labor to replace the clutches in the Trac-Loc comes out about even. The True-Trac will last much longer and it is much smoother in operation (no clunks or pops or steering effects).
Curious, how much does your shop charge to replace TL clutches?

If your not hard core four wheeling and also trying to save money you can rebuild the traclok, and the clutch kit costs around 60 bucs. You will spend 400+ on a tru trac. It comes down to what you want vs what you need and can afford.