Red Dog's Revival Thread

27October2019

Nothing huge today, just happy to (finally) install the correct MOPAR hood prop rod clip. Also spent the week enjoying having four fan speeds for the heater again. Not sure why I waited so long to get a few of the smaller items on the list taken care of over the past week but I'm glad I did.

Along with rewiring the second set of KC's (sooooo much more reach than the headlights. Need to quit playing with them in town before the PD decides to have a chat with me), installing the fan speed resistor, hood prop rod clip, I also removed the foot shape gas pedal cover and re-installed the original aluminum one I had. After all these months the foot shape just wasn't me.

Considering trying to restore the cage/safari style tail light covers and going back to them too (been quite a number of years) in place of the palm tree covers, as well as going without a spare tire cover next year if I can find a Canyon rim relatively close by and reasonably priced. Little bird told me the other day a set of Die-Tech mirror brackets is in my future at the end of the year. Looking forward to using those in Spring.

The past six months have significantly changed my opinion of the Trektop NX. While a nice top that looks good, I've reached the view it is not the best for me. Too much hassle to remove/install, especially if I want to go topless for just a day or so. Biggest complaint is the rear window attachment channel. I've actually been leaning toward getting rid of it and using a hard top until Spring (I've always sworn I'd never use a hard top) and then go back to the OEM style soft top. OEM top might not look as nice to me as the Trektop NX, but I honestly do not recall having the level of frustration with putting it up/taking it down as the NX. Not a perfect top by any means, but miss it a lot after having more time to use different top configurations this past year.

That's all for now, wanted to leave myself an update.

28October2019

Last of the little items for winter preparation this afternoon once I regained consciousness. Replaced passenger side windshield wiper (still need to finish getting the parts for the wiper mounted sprayers), vehicle brush, tow strap, and emergency shovel once again back in the Jeep. Roadside kits stays in 24/7/365.25, refreshed its contents as well as restocked 1st Aid kit yesterday afternoon. Fluids are all at least topped off. Oil change this weekend (Garage Boss oil drip pan/jerry can arrived today).

Unfortunately the weather guessers at work were actually correct in their forecast today. Flurries that are accumulating (only an inch or less so no biggie) arrived right on schedule. Not predicted to stay longer than a few days... but dammit, I really hate winter and snow. On the upside, the winds last month brought with them more than just the change of seasons. Life has been getting better in general with no signs of stopping any time soon. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping things are going well for everyone.

17November2019

Busy times.

Finally broke down and ordered a Daystar vent mounted rocker panel and another rocker switch styled USB charging port last weekend. Unfortunately USPS had some issues (again) and didn't actually receive them until Thursday evening. At the moment I have the USB installed in the vent panel along with a blank rocker cover. Hopefully some time this week I will have the chance to pick up some wires and install things. Going to try to keep it as simple an install as possible and tap into the cigarette lighter wires so the USB is only powered when the Jeep is on. Quite possible I will end up ordering a second vent panel and installing blanks in the switch locations for consistency in appearance. I can't remember the last time I used the dash vents, usually just run the heat in the defrost and floor positions. Eventually I'd like to try to remove the climate control unit and repair the temperature slider. Possibly closer to Spring since Winter is constantly reminding my area it is not far away and the slider broker in close to the highest heat position.

One good thing about all the OT I've been working (20+ hrs/week) is I now know how much easier it will be to get the Jeep parts/repairs I've been looking at. Quite possible shortly after New Years will either look for a better paying job or pick up a part time one for during the week. Last pay check (had I not had other obligations) I would have been able to grab some of the higher cost (for me) parts on the Wish List. Definitely has had me thinking lately.

Still no old style yellow KC covers yet ;-)

19January2020

New year starting out dang near where the last one did. The To-Do list is much smaller (hopefully it doesn't grow... much).

Due to weather I ended up working the Midnight to Zero-Eight shift this morning. Took the opportunity to shuffle the station's Grand with my TJ, let it thaw for a bit in the indoor heat, and installed my Bartact front seat covers (that was one long wait) and my new black transmission shifter/knob from Drake/DV8. Not sure what I will do with the silver shifter (maybe grow it into a second TJ?) but the Bartacts have all sorts of ideas going around in my head. Already have the rip-away 1st Aid kit mounted behind the passenger seat, later this week when it warms back up above zero will see how I like having the jumper cable bag mounted behind the driver seat (may leave it on the tailgate). Thinking for longer road trips I might use some grimloks to mount a Camelbak/hydration bladder pouch behind the driver's seat for water while keeping the cup holder free for sodas. The front pockets on the Bartacts are much bigger than I was expecting (a good thing) along with the rear pockets. I still have some darker grey 550 paracord I'm thinking I may use to replace the questionable black zipper pulls (pretty close match to the grey in the seat covers).

Had I been expecting to be able to get parts installed I would have brought my Daystar vent switch panels with me and finally gotten around to putting in the USB ports. Last night was so hectic at work I was only able to measure, cut, and solder the end connectors to the wires for the USB. Not too concerned as I know I will have plenty of time in the future to get the USB installed.

Side effect of new parts in the cab area: Bedrug is really, really tempting.

25January2020

Had to be at work today so decided to make lemonade out of the situation. Brought the TJ into the heated garage, folded down the rear seat, set up an isolated ceramic space heater and let things sit to thaw out while I had work to do. Checked every 30 minutes or so to make sure things were going good. Once afternoon hit slowly but surely corrected my dumb mistake from this Fall of not installing the back windows properly (resulted in a very large gap in the rear window that was letting snow get into the back seat... as well as the obvious sub freezing draft).

Actually went very well. Top is properly adjusted/installed, window and rear corners are tight, and thanks to the heat was actually able to zip the retaining zippers on the rear window down to about 1-2" from the bottom (closest I've ever been able to zip them fully closed). A couple hours before I knew I'd be done I removed the space heater to let things cool to room temp and waited another hour before moving the TJ back outside. So far things seem to be cooperating. Will find out for sure in the morning after everything has sat over night in the colder temps.

While the top was cooling I took advantage of the time and decent lighting to swap out the boot-lace zipper pulls on the front zipper pockets of the Bartacts and replaced them with capped off grey 550 cord (removed the inner cords). Looks more "finished" than the previous zipper pulls and the grey is an almost exact match to the interior panel color of the seat covers. Then put a compass/first aid kit on the front right corner of the bottom of the driver's seat for use as a cigarette/notepad pouch. After that attached the mask pouch my jumper cables are in, a velcro panel for some patches, and used a couple web dominators to secure the handle of a rolled fleece blanket onto the back webbing of the driver's seat. Rear zipper pouch of the passenger seat now has one of two fleece blankets for emergency/picnic use folded in it. The rear storage pouches of the front seats are quite nice and roomy. Will probably replace the zipper pulls on them with black 550 cord with end caps sometime in the weeks ahead. Thinking the driver side pouch might be a good place for my D-cell Maglite. One thing for sure, I don't want to over-do attaching things to the back of the seats.

Its nice having the items that I kept behind the front seats secured as well as off the floor. I can see a lot of potential for the MOLLE webbing on a rear seat cover as far as tow strap, emergency winter shovel (via web dominators around the shaft), possibly afore mentioned Maglight via web dominators, and maybe my Jeep towel-style seat covers in a MOLLE pouch.

Once again on the fence about where to install the USB charger. Someday I will make a decision and stick with it.