Refresher course in communication

coming out of the Triumph tr6 forums I understand him completely...aka it is the bonnet not the hood, boot not trunk, bespoke = custom made, rev meter is the tach etc....

I get it from watching a ton of BBC shows and Top Gear / The Grand Tour as well.

So yeah, I totally get it, I just like to poke fun at it once in a while when I see people calling them "tyres".

I wonder why the spellings changed from British English to U.S. English?

I love this thread!! Primarily because being over 50 now and considered "old", I cringe when I read emails and memorandums from some younger folks in my profession (banking). There is little punctuation, misuse of several words like mentioned in the original post, and internet acronyms in professional communications.

As far as forum posts I could care less about spelling, punctuation, vernacular, etc. On a forum it’s like a group of friends having a conversation. Talking to my buds I have been known to say “I ain’t got no...” and the like.

Being funny...right?:confused:

Reactions: mde8965
I know as well as the next person what a poster is trying to say. It's just that I am of the belief that if anyone really wants help with an issue, they should be able to communicate it as clearly and effectively as possible. Throw in a few misspellings, some questionable grammar, and you need an interpreter to figure out what's being said.

We're just getting lazy.
I remember my Dad telling me that once when he was at sea on the Nimitz, my mother wrote him a letter...four pages long...that was nothing but one big, long, run-on sentence. He said he had never seen so many comma's before, as well as the exaggerated use of the word "and". She did it as a joke, of course.

The absolute WORST perve of mine these days, are the Starbucks-type baristas! This particular issue started off as a local millennial/ snowflake coffee snob thing, but the corporate morons are propagating this globally to other stores, employees, customers, and other retail outlets: "For yuh"

Examples (that make me want to hug a chainsaw everytime that I hear them):

Ordering a coffee, they will reply: "What else for yuh?"
I'll answer nothing, they will say: "That'll be $3 for yuh"

Often, I will ask them if that is a Starbucks thing or just bad English. The common response is that they never thought about it, and that I'm right- it sounds terrible and ridiculous. When I'm in a bad mood or sense they are hostile, I'll ask them to "hold the yuh" after I state my order (which opens the door for me to point out the horrible grammar).

I'm just wondering why your 'Perving' at the baristas hehehe...just pulling your leg mate ;)

Reactions: jeep_boss
There's also the difference where 'mericans use the z in say, 'capitalization' whereas we use an s eg: capitalisation.

Personally, I don't care. If people get their message across that's all that matters. I see the grammar Nazi's on Bookface a lot and frankly most of the time I feel they are using the grammar thing to make themselves feel more important than others. I mean would you have a face to face conversation with someone and then reply suggesting that they haven't phrased something correctly? of course, you wouldn't (unless you are an arse).

Reactions: OldYeller
I'd like to bring @Reign Mack in for some explanation of British grammar.

You know, things like "tyres", "colour", "humour", "centre"... etc.

ash-r-aroueno-why-is-it-cancelled-in-the-uk-7229856.png

coming out of the Triumph tr6 forums I understand him completely...aka it is the bonnet not the hood, boot not trunk, bespoke = custom made, rev meter is the tach etc....
Its a gearbox not a transvestite

Reactions: Chris
I remember my Dad telling me that once when he was at sea on the Nimitz, my mother wrote him a letter...four pages long...that was nothing but one big, long, run-on sentence. He said he had never seen so many comma's before, as well as the exaggerated use of the word "and". She did it as a joke, of course.
My Grandson was in Navy Boot Camp in April. I wrote him a letter written in cursive (as I am old) and he couldn't read it. WTF? A guy in his Ship read it to him.

My Grandson was in Navy Boot Camp in April. I wrote him a letter written in cursive (as I am old) and he couldn't read it. WTF? A guy in his Ship read it to him.
My stepson is 20 years old, and cannot read cursive, either. And my stepdaughter couldn't read a clock (unless it was digital) until she was in her late teens. While my initial reaction was geared toward questioning their level of intelligence, time has proven that in their case, at least, it was a lack of exposure to it. Learning cursive was never a requirement in school, so my son never bothered. And my daughter grew up with very little exposure to the "big hand/little hand" clock, so why learn it (her point of view, not mine)? They say that with texting and spellcheck, we will see more problems with folks even bothering to learn to spell words properly. There's a huge difference between that, and someone making a conscious decision to use slang in their writing. I will say "gonna", wanna", "ain't", " 'bout", etc., in some of my writing, depending on who I anticipate will be reading it. However, I also know the correct way to say and spell it. And that's the difference. What's happening these days is sad, in my opinion. Just saying...

This is hilarious I didn’t even know that situation could be a thing. Is it not part of the school curriculum out there anymore?

This is hilarious I didn’t even know that situation could be a thing. Is it not part of the school curriculum out there anymore?
They were phasing it out when I was in High school in the late 80's, Neither of my kids have any concept of it and they are sophomores in HS and college. I hate to admit but I would have a problem reading it as I have not seen it 20 years. Kids now a days do not even know how to address, stamp and mail a letter, they just don't do it anymore.

Last edited:
What will kids do when the EMP hits and knocks out all the electronics? Hope they still teach them long division, lol!

There's a lot of things they don't teach kids in school these days (nor was I taught either), such as how to write a check, how to do your taxes, etc. They also don't teach you about the importance of having good credit and things you can do to improve your credit.

Those are all very important things that people probably ought to be learning in school I'd think.

Reactions: Squatch
There's a lot of things they don't teach kids in school these days (nor was I taught either), such as how to write a check, how to do your taxes, etc. They also don't teach you about the importance of having good credit and things you can do to improve your credit.

Those are all very important things that people probably ought to be learning in school I'd think.
Financial awareness should be taught in every High school, although I am sure it would be twisted in some way that it is discriminatory!

Reactions: Chris

I graduated in '81, and all those things were still being taught at my high school at the time ("World Problems" class, which was required that you pass to be able to graduate).

Reactions: Reign Mack