Refresher course in communication

This one astounded me recently. I'm looking for a winch, would like to get a Warn. So I go on Facebook and Craigslist and type Warn into the search bar. You know how many listings I got for a winch? I had over 600 results and probably 3 of them were winches. The rest were clothing articles that had been warn instead of worn!

This one astounded me recently. I'm looking for a winch, would like to get a Warn. So I go on Facebook and Craigslist and type Warn into the search bar. You know how many listings I got for a winch? I had over 600 results and probably 3 of them were winches. The rest were clothing articles that had been warn instead of worn!

Or, if I go to Craigslist I have to do a search for "wench" more than a few times.

Reactions: Squatch
the one that dives me nuts is "prolly" instead of probably, there is not even a frig'n B in prolly!

and axe'n someone a question is another one, I cringe anytime I hear it.

I love this thread!! Primarily because being over 50 now and considered "old", I cringe when I read emails and memorandums from some younger folks in my profession (banking). There is little punctuation, misuse of several words like mentioned in the original post, and internet acronyms in professional communications.

As far as forum posts I could care less about spelling, punctuation, vernacular, etc. On a forum it’s like a group of friends having a conversation. Talking to my buds I have been known to say “I ain’t got no...” and the like.

Somebody who is roughly my age can remember English teachers making you diagram sentences, drilling into you that a lot is two words not one, etc. And the biggest teacher of both English and several other subjects was 'Schoolhouse Rock" (I'm just a Bill, yes I'm only a Bill, and I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill) that was on Saturday mornings in between the cartoons (which were also very G rated). I recently was flipping through the channels on a Saturday morning while drinking my coffee, and the only cartoons I saw were transformers, and various other cartoony violent things...nothing educational or life lesson about any of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
As far as forum posts I could care less about spelling, punctuation, vernacular, etc. On a forum it’s like a group of friends having a conversation. Talking to my buds I have been known to say “I ain’t got no...” and the like.
I'm glad you said that. Wouldn't want anyone here to be offended, or think we're being judgemental (or judgmental, as it's apparently spelled both ways...). If it hadn't been for this thread, most of us never would have said a word about the errors.

Sort of bored, sitting around...am I the only one who wonders what has happened to the English language? When I was in school, grammar and spelling were pretty much beat into our skulls. With the advent of social media, texts, forums, etc., spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure have gone the way of the dodo bird for the most part. If you have the nerve to mention it online, you generally get crucified with 'WTF, you know what I meant!!' or some such comparable scathing retort. The type of things most prevalent:

Their means those people's, not over there
There means over at that place, not those people's
They're is a contraction for they are, not the two things above

I could care less. If you could, do. The phrase is I couldn't care less. That means you don't care at all.

Lose - the verb to not win, or misplace. Not a wheel that's not tight. That is loose.

Advice - noun, instruction or wisdom given you by someone, or to someone by you.
Advise - verb, to give someone advice

To - means to.
Too - means also.

See? I'm bored. I'm also irked that I seem to be the only one who cares...it seems all those years in school only served to make me irked.

If you do care, feel free to add your own pet peeve communication gaffs. :cool:
The absolute WORST perve of mine these days, are the Starbucks-type baristas! This particular issue started off as a local millennial/ snowflake coffee snob thing, but the corporate morons are propagating this globally to other stores, employees, customers, and other retail outlets: "For yuh"

Examples (that make me want to hug a chainsaw everytime that I hear them):

Ordering a coffee, they will reply: "What else for yuh?"
I'll answer nothing, they will say: "That'll be $3 for yuh"

Often, I will ask them if that is a Starbucks thing or just bad English. The common response is that they never thought about it, and that I'm right- it sounds terrible and ridiculous. When I'm in a bad mood or sense they are hostile, I'll ask them to "hold the yuh" after I state my order (which opens the door for me to point out the horrible grammar).

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Squatch
I'm glad you said that. Wouldn't want anyone here to be offended, or think we're being judgemental (or judgmental, as it's apparently spelled both ways...). If it hadn't been for this thread, most of us never would have said a word about the errors.
Wow...what did I start in my state of boredom...??

I know as well as the next person what a poster is trying to say. It's just that I am of the belief that if anyone really wants help with an issue, they should be able to communicate it as clearly and effectively as possible. The thing that's hardest to figure out are the 4-5 paragraph (comparably speaking) posts, with no punctuation or capitalization, just one long sentence, if you can call it that. Throw in a few misspellings, some questionable grammar, and you need an interpreter to figure out what's being said.

We're just getting lazy.

I know as well as the next person what a poster is trying to say. It's just that I am of the belief that if anyone really wants help with an issue, they should be able to communicate it as clearly and effectively as possible. The thing that's hardest to figure out are the 4-5 paragraph (comparably speaking) posts, with no punctuation or capitalization, just one long sentence, if you can call it that. Throw in a few misspellings, some questionable grammar, and you need an interpreter to figure out what's being said.

We're just getting lazy.
On the flip side, we do have to give them some credit. I mean, at least they aren't communicating their problems entirely with emojis!!!

I'd like to bring @Reign Mack in for some explanation of British grammar.

You know, things like "tyres", "colour", "humour", "centre"... etc.

My favorite one is weather.

I see people use it like this:

"I don't care weather or not..."

What you meant to say was whether!