Removing the CB radio out of my Jeep, what would you do with the wiring?

GregBelleville

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Like the title says, in taking the CB out of my Jeep. It was installed by a PO and it doesn't seem like very many people still use them. I also just bought a handheld gmrs radio.

Anyway, I'm asking for advice on what to do with the antenna wiring as well as the wiring for power. Regarding the antenna wiring, if I ever wanted to install a gmrs radio in the Jeep, would the wiring or the antenna mount still be useful to leave on the Jeep? I don't want to hassle removing it if it could be reused with a gmrs? I'm also wondering if there are buggy whips that would thread into where the antenna mounts?

Secondly, about the wire for power, that wire is wrapped in tape and appears to be part of a wiring bundle going through the firewall into the engine bay. Do I need to trace that wire all the way to it's source to remove it, or is it fine to just cut it and cap it inside the cabin wherever I have access to it?

Sorry these are probably really dumb questions, but electrical stuff is not my forte.

PXL_20231027_193304168.jpg

PXL_20231027_193317845.jpg

PXL_20231027_193426376.jpg

PXL_20231027_193531669.jpg

PXL_20231027_194127306.jpg

PXL_20231027_193920944~2.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: RINC
I am of the mind that any wiring for power you have no intentions of using again, remove it

Sure, you can be lazy and leave it after just disco at the battery but then its a mess for future hassle

Reactions: swtrailboss
Like the title says, in taking the CB out of my Jeep. It was installed by a PO and it doesn't seem like very many people still use them. I also just bought a handheld gmrs radio.

Anyway, I'm asking for advice on what to do with the antenna wiring as well as the wiring for power. Regarding the antenna wiring, if I ever wanted to install a gmrs radio in the Jeep, would the wiring or the antenna mount still be useful to leave on the Jeep? I don't want to hassle removing it if it could be reused with a gmrs? I'm also wondering if there are buggy whips that would thread into where the antenna mounts?

Secondly, about the wire for power, that wire is wrapped in tape and appears to be part of a wiring bundle going through the firewall into the engine bay. Do I need to trace that wire all the way to it's source to remove it, or is it fine to just cut it and cap it inside the cabin wherever I have access to it?

Sorry these are probably really dumb questions, but electrical stuff is not my forte.

View attachment 469063

View attachment 469064

View attachment 469065

View attachment 469066

View attachment 469067

View attachment 469068

I like that antenna mount,never seen that before?