Replaced Headlights with Truck-Lite Knockoffs

After confirming that the 'WarHorse' LED's don't have the DOT branding, I'm likely to buy these. But Im curious to read what Jerry and some of the other new buyers think of their nighttime performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After confirming that the 'WarHorse' LED's don't have the DOT branding, I'm likely to buy these. But Im curious to read what Jerry and some of the other new buyers think of their nighttime performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll get some pics of mine tonight. Maybe a video too.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Sometimes I hate you guys a little bit. I just ordered these lights and now I need to explain why to my long suffering wife.
I just bought mine a jku, told her I can't drive automatic, got the 04 rubi out of The Guilt Trip, I believe I have a couple Grand in accessories I can justify it as well.

A video and some pics of the headlights in action

—-> VIDEO <—-

Low Beams

IMG_20170803_213120694.jpg

High Beams

IMG_20170803_213127693.jpg

Reactions: Fonz54 and Kiwi TJ
Can any of you guys who have installed these feel them after a few minutes of run time and let me know if they create an heat at all. Last thing I need up here in New England is snow covered headlights at night. I hate the halogens, but dim lights in January is better than no light output at all...

Reactions: Blondie70
Can any of you guys who have installed these feel them after a few minutes of run time and let me know if they create an heat at all. Last thing I need up here in New England is snow covered headlights at night. I hate the halogens, but dim lights in January is better than no light output at all...
Truck-Lite makes a heated version just for the reason.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Did you have to make any major aiming adjustments, or were yours pretty close after installing them?

What you see is them installed without any adjustments. As long as you don't touch the alignment screws when removing the old lights you shouldn't need to touch them. Mine might need a small tweak since I didn't touch them after the lift installation, but I'm going to wait until after I install the winch to get them dialed in perfectly.

My assumption would be that since they are typical LEDs they would produce very little to no heat which would be a problem in snowy/icey conditions.

Last edited:
Sometimes I hate you guys a little bit. I just ordered these lights and now I need to explain why to my long suffering wife.
Steps:

1. splice a switch near your foot pedals that turns off/on power to the headlights.

2. when driving in a "safe-ish" location at night with the wife, randomly flick the switch on/off

3. mention you read online that this is a common problem with the stock headlights, and that the solutions are to either to try and "re-wire them yourself, which apparently has caused a couple fires because the wiring diagrams are not consistent with every Jeep that left the factory, but you think you can maybe figure it out with some good guesses" or..."hmmm...dunno...maybe I can save money and live with the random off/on instead of buying those fancy new led lights that just work by plugging them in..."

4. wait for wife to voice her opinion on what you should do...

DISCLAIMER: (this is not legal, nor safe...if your wife finds out - she will hurt you). I'm just saying that, personally, I find the best way to convince a wife/gf/etc for something like this is to make it their idea ;) Then you just agree with her.

You can keep the foot switch in for other things like when you "need" a new stereo...

Steps:

1. splice a switch near your foot pedals that turns off/on power to the headlights.

2. when driving in a "safe-ish" location at night with the wife, randomly flick the switch on/off

3. mention you read online that this is a common problem with the stock headlights, and that the solutions are to either to try and "re-wire them yourself, which apparently has caused a couple fires because the wiring diagrams are not consistent with every Jeep that left the factory, but you think you can maybe figure it out with some good guesses" or..."hmmm...dunno...maybe I can save money and live with the random off/on instead of buying those fancy new led lights that just work by plugging them in..."

4. wait for wife to voice her opinion on what you should do...

DISCLAIMER: (this is not legal, nor safe...if your wife finds out - she will hurt you). I'm just saying that, personally, I find the best way to convince a wife/gf/etc for something like this is to make it their idea ;) Then you just agree with her.

You can keep the foot switch in for other things like when you "need" a new stereo...

hahaha, and amen to the DISCLAIMER brother

Last edited:
I own the Trail-Flame Headlight from "Igniteoffroad.com". (This looks more like a JW Speaker knock-off - but similar in the led/heat aspect I imagine).
NOTE: Igniteoffroad.com no longer exists...so that may tell you something. Or it may not.
This would be cached info on them on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AQUCM40/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I live in Winnipeg, MB, Canada. We get lots of snow. Lots of thick, heavy snow. Snow buildup was a concern...
My led headlights were perfectly fine the entire winter. I had no noticeable increase in issue with snow buildup than I experienced with the stock headlights.
My headlights do generate heat...and there is a heatsink on the back of them.
I don't think they get as hot as the stock headlight, but they did fine.
The "worst" part snow-wise is the way the bottom lip/ridge of Jeep headlights are designed to catch and keep snow.

Long story short - I think led headlights work fine in snow. I am speaking from personal experience.
If I was in a different financial bracket and could afford anything, I'd choose to get headlights with heated lenses...but that's more because I like to over-prepare for everything, and not because I found my current LED headlights lacking in that department.

For those of you who live in snowy/cold climates, look into an H4 conversion with relays. For about 150, you can dramatically increase the output of your headlights and stick with a halogen bulb to help melt snow. I did it and am very happy with the results.

Dim
20170319_215520.jpg

Brights
20170319_215526.jpg

Go to danielsternlighting.com. I purchased the headlights and housings from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DQV88Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QJWUPC6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

and the relay kit from Daniel Stern's site. Its not exactly plug and play though. You have to build a harness and what not. Took me about 5 hours to do the upgrade. I believe Daniel will build a custom harness for you, for about a hundred bucks.

Here is my post on install

Light Install

Reactions: CodaMan
I believe Daniel will build a custom harness for you, for about a hundred bucks.
Pre-wired lighting harnesses for driving lights are inexpensive to buy, they're all over sites like eBay and Amazon.com.

Though for LED headlights like we're talking about above, you don't need to add a wiring harness. They are plug and play, they plug into the OE wiring harness with no modifications needed anywyere. And because LED headlights draw so much less power than the OE headlights did, no relay is needed either.