Replaced Headlights with Truck-Lite Knockoffs

Let me shed some light on this subject

45EB7EAA-3EDD-448C-8D14-94CA20E31FAD.jpeg

57903B8B-8478-41AD-B375-AEE955A1E9FA.jpeg

I bought my TJ with a REALLY cheap set of junk LEDs that had literally no pattern at all.. just a huge splash of light that went everywhere.

Based on comments here I bought the TruckLite knockoffs. I think I paid about $75 shipped. No doubt they are bright and are a nice hyper white temperature that I prefer. But the pattern was a hot mess. Proper adjustment required that they to be aimed down so far I ran out of adjustment on the bucket screws. Still they projected a fair amount of light almost straight up. I could see overhanging tree cover directly over the nose of the jeep being lit up as I drove by. It was really annoying. Had I never driven with the top down it might not have bothered me.

I sold them a few months after I bought them and installed the Kioto Toyota H4s with 80/100 bulbs and upgraded harness. Not as hyper white but they have a much more efficient pattern, are more period correct aesthetically, great construction, glass housing and cost $45 out the door.

Welp, so far I’ve installed the knock offs, and they are bright. Insanely bright but sadly they throw light too high. Even adjusted all the way down, it’s still blinding astronauts on the ISS and signaling Batman. My attempt to lower the beam failed as I popped one of the adjuster screws out. Hoping it would be an easy fix to just pop it back it, nope. It’s broken, so off to hunt for a new mounting / adjuster ring. They’re available so that’s not the end of the world, just downtime for night ops.

As for the knockoffs, my question is for those who have the legit Truck Lite version, do they have the same issue or is their aim just fine?
@Chris can you weigh in?
TIA

• Sad
Reactions: MikekiM
Welp, so far I’ve installed the knock offs, and they are bright. Insanely bright but sadly they throw light too high. Even adjusted all the way down, it’s still blinding astronauts on the ISS and signaling Batman. My attempt to lower the beam failed as I popped one of the adjuster screws out. Hoping it would be an easy fix to just pop it back it, nope. It’s broken, so off to hunt for a new mounting / adjuster ring. They’re available so that’s not the end of the world, just downtime for night ops.

As for the knockoffs, my question is for those who have the legit Truck Lite version, do they have the same issue or is their aim just fine?
@Chris can you weigh in?
TIA
Yeah.. that's exactly what I was experiencing. I gave up on them. Sold them for what I paid. No regrets.

Yeah.. that's exactly what I was experiencing. I gave up on them. Sold them for what I paid. No regrets.
Luckily I can still return them. Question is, if I pony up for the legit version, does all the aiming issue disappear? In the meantime I’m trying to find a viable replacement mounting ring.

These are a little different than truck lights but I got them and they have been awesome. Crisp cut off line I just need to adjust them down, we don’t drive the Jeep much so I just haven’t gotten to it.

1644586857805.jpeg

Reactions: UglyDuck
I can't believe I stumbled across this thread...It is funny to see how even Jerry 5 years ago was all into Chinese knockoff's.

I also bought a a set of these off Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937882661...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
I too have the same issue where I have these pointed so far down that I even ordered replacement headlight brackets thinking there was something wrong with them.
IMG_20220214_194548_304.jpg

IMG_20220214_194554_789.jpg

So I wonder if there is a difference from the ones sold on eBay and the ones sold on Amazon.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Alex01
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I can't believe I stumbled across this thread...It is funny to see how even Jerry 5 years ago was all into Chinese knockoff's.

I also bought a a set of these off Ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937882661...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1
I too have the same issue where I have these pointed so far down that I even ordered replacement headlight brackets thinking there was something wrong with them.
View attachment 309800
View attachment 309801

So I wonder if there is a difference from the ones sold on eBay and the ones sold on Amazon.
I’m knee deep in the middle of my headlight saga. I’ll save you the story of epic proportions but I did receive one legit Truck Lite so far, and it is night and day difference in terms of fit/finish, and function. As for my mounting ring on the other side, it’s broken and I’m looking for a suitable replacement. I order the plastic rings from Amazon but they are ABS and the OEM is polypropylene, so significant difference in strength. The ABS part is noticeably lighter weight and has more flex, which wouldn’t be an issue if there were 4 mounting points but since there are only 3 and they are not evenly spaced, I suspect there could be some wobble. If anyone has an extra passenger side administer ring in good shape; I’ll buy it!

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
These are a little different than truck lights but I got them and they have been awesome. Crisp cut off line I just need to adjust them down, we don’t drive the Jeep much so I just haven’t gotten to it.

View attachment 308913
Some of the reviews of these particular ones describe having to modify the headlight housing and/or the TJ mounting location slightly to get headlights seated. Anything needing modification on your end with install??

Very interested in trying these on one of the TJs.

Boy you guys really derailed this conversation. Let's get back on track. Hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel on the headlight project. Anyways, sorry for the puns, just needed to blow off some steam.
Ok back on topic :)
So I wonder if there is a difference between the ebay lights and the Amazon ones.
The WHDZ model do they really have that branding on the back of them?
That is the only way I can tell to differentiate them.
Hopefully they will become available again as I really like these style of headlights.

I bought my whdz truck lite knock offs 2 years ago. Direct replacement. No adjustment necesarry. They are great. Never been flashed by oncoming traffic.

I wonder which ones your running into that are so fed up they need adjusting down so far?

To bad. I paid 65 bucks . And never looked back. I just cant see soending $600 on headlights. Id rather donate that money to a worthy cause. Lol.

Unless its a safety issue and u need heated lights. I get that.

Reactions: Ron505