Replacing / repairing tail lights - Go LED?

penk

TJ Enthusiast
One of my turn indicator bulbs has blown, and while digging around for a replacement bulb, I'm seeing gobs and gobs of replacement lights, all LED.

I'm considering replacing my rear lights with LED fixtures for red and backup (whole light blinks for turn, if I remember correctly). What do folks think? Seems like LED is replacing standard bulbs (which is just fine IMHO - glowing wires for light always seemed weird).

Anyone have a suggestion for a proper supplier for a good, solid, waterproof fixture?

Reactions: Thomas Guzman
Replacing them with LED taillights is the smart move, no doubt. LEDs are starting to replace traditional bulbs in general, everywhere you look. Rightfully so too. They last longer, they're brighter, and they look better. I always tell people that upgrading to LED taillights on my TJ was one of the best "cheap" mods I ever did. My brake lights are probably 5 times brighter than the stock ones, the turn signals can't be missed, and the reverse lights are so bright you'd swear I had a light bar in the back when I put it in reverse.

These are the LED taillights I've been using for several years now:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01774OVY2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They work great, and the price is right. Wiring them up is so easy it takes maybe 5 minutes a side and some simple wire connectors.

I recently replaced my 1156 back up light bulbs with LED bulbs from
https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/
Good customer service, and prices were good. My back ups and now 10 times brighter. I have to back up in my carport at night, and they really helped out. Also replaced the interior dome lights and step lights with LED. Haven't got around to changing the brake/turn signal bulbs yet. think you need a new flasher unit for that.

So if I were to also change the front turn signals and the marker lights to LED, all I have to do is find the appropriate replacement LED bulb and not purchase the whole fixture? is that right? I will already have the correct flasher since it comes with my LED rear light units. Almost sounds too easy.

So if I were to also change the front turn signals and the marker lights to LED, all I have to do is find the appropriate replacement LED bulb and not purchase the whole fixture? is that right? I will already have the correct flasher since it comes with my LED rear light units. Almost sounds too easy.

That is correct. It's as easy as that. Same exact thing I did on mine. Just got the replacement bulbs in LED versions, except for the headlights and taillights, which I replaced with new LED housings of course.

This is all great information, guys. I think I'd like to replace my bulbs with led equivelents - i don't like losing the side-lights and going 'non standard' with the fixture (so can't use grills, etc). I'd be keen on a pointer to the bulb equivelancy list if anyone has one.

Just following up because it's been a month. We finally hauled Ole yeller into the shop to figure out the lighting problem. The bulb was worn but not blown, and was 'working', but sporadically. So we replaced both rear bulbs (left and right dual-filament), including using new dialectric paste to keep things dry and non-oxidizing.

Unfortunately, this didn't fix the problem, and the rear right light still wouldn't come on (just the turn indicator / brake light). We ended up digging into the wiring behind the back right mudflap / plastic, and found the connectors used to hook up the trailer hitch, and suspect something was awry in there. We unwrapped all the electrical tape, and somewhere in there the rear lights started working again. We were unable to determine where the loose connection was - it wasn't ground (because all the other lights worked), it was something in that connector. I tucked everything back behind the plastic cover and pulled it back, so we'll see if things continue to work okay.

I'll update this thread if we end up chasing more sporadic electrical problems. Wheee.