Replacing the interior lights of your Jeep Wrangler TJ with LEDs

There are lots of writeups on this but it's very problematic. Basically you need a resistor for these.
I did a little bit of testing that if I turn the dimmer all the way down then my odometer doesn't flash. And it only flashes when the headlights are off.

You either need to add a resistor or ignore the flashing odometer. There is a write up here somewhere on the forum about how to do it but to be honest I just ignore it. You’ll notice if the headlights are on the odometer will not flash when you hit the turn signal.

Other option is just to remove the indicator light LEDs and switch them back to regular bulbs.

Just did the dash on my son's jeep. Awesome difference. Will be doing the A/C cluster and rocker switches next weekend. Huge thank you for the tip to shave down the shifter bulb.

Reactions: Scoutmapper
Just did the dash on my son's jeep. Awesome difference. Will be doing the A/C cluster and rocker switches next weekend. Huge thank you for the tip to shave down the shifter bulb.
PITA as those bulbs are super delicate. I ended up breaking a few trying to twist them into place. The climate cluster was 5 times as time consuming as the gauge cluster.

Thanks for this write up! I did this a few weeks ago and it was an easy mod with a good payoff! My only problem was my rocker switches dont have the bulb in the bottom to light up which light. Just the amber on/off indicator, but I can live with that!

Thanks for this write up! I did this a few weeks ago and it was an easy mod with a good payoff! My only problem was my rocker switches dont have the bulb in the bottom to light up which light. Just the amber on/off indicator, but I can live with that!
Are they aftermarket switches? Factory ones have "back lighting" for the switches. Some, like the Locker and defogger have an additional indicator light.

Are they aftermarket switches? Factory ones have "back lighting" for the switches. Some, like the Locker and defogger have an additional indicator light.
I’m all but certain they are, one is for “lightbar” and the other for “spotters”. I don’t use them currently so no real need to have that lit up other than my OCD lol

I removed my gauge cluster to see what bulb sizes I needed to order and found 21 different bulbs. Several have brown bases, but most have black bases. Does anyone think 4mm would replace all or a combo of 4mm and 3mm? Thanks! Confused also that some are missing. Should I replace those also? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Gauge Cluster.jpg
Bulb 1.jpg
Bulb 2.jpg

Attachments

• Bulb 1.jpg
    Bulb 1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 87
I just replaced the 5 with LEDs, mine had a flat black bottom with the blue over the bulb. Got all the info off the write up on this forum.

I removed my gauge cluster to see what bulb sizes I needed to order and found 21 different bulbs. Several have brown bases, but most have black bases. Does anyone think 4mm would replace all or a combo of 4mm and 3mm? Thanks! Confused also that some are missing. Should I replace those also? Any help would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 194161View attachment 194165View attachment 194166
Your cluster may look a bit different, but the only bulbs that should be replaced for the backlighting in the cluster are these:
cluster.PNG

The 74 LED is the correct bulb for the cluster.