Rescue6's 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Still making slow and steady progress on the new rebuild. Got a stand alone trans crossmember made out of Jk lower control arms so it has rubber bushings like the motor mounts. I chose to make the arms two piece and bolted on so I could remove one side at a time if I needed to access the driveshaft etc. if I need to in the future I can weld them together. We shall see how it goes. Got the belly up skid modded so I get the most clearance I can. Pounded out the rear passenger quarter on the tub, fixed the body line just under the belt rail for the soft top. Got the new Aluminum corner blanks cut for the wheel openings and gas filler, and got them mounted. Got the front highline fenders mounted and got the inner fenders cut up and fitted. That took quite a few test fits. Got the windshield frame armor mocked up and the nutserts installed. Then bolted them up. Next I’ll work on fitting the mini boatside sliders. I gotta fit them around the front tube fender and cut them to length for the rear wheel well opening. Then I can finally tear it all back apart to prep for the paint work.

5A75213F-B984-4021-B951-0046D215C138.jpeg

B535AA75-17B1-4E0B-BB6E-E16F4C026E17.jpeg

6C157D57-1323-41A6-AD52-6333E92D95B0.jpeg

My back was killing me today so no work done however I did manage to get new tires ordered. Apparently Discount tire was able to locate five new Mickey Thompson Baja boss M/T’s after all. Thank goodness. They are being shipped in from four different locations. Also had the new exterior door handles and upper and lower windshield weatherstripping / gaskets show up for use after paint.

My back was killing me today so no work done however I did manage to get new tires ordered. Apparently Discount tire was able to locate five new Mickey Thompson Baja boss M/T’s after all. Thank goodness. They are being shipped in from four different locations. Also had the new exterior door handles and upper and lower windshield weatherstripping / gaskets show up for use after paint.
Sucks how everything is hard to get. Glad you were able to find a set!

Reactions: Wildman
Sucks how everything is hard to get. Glad you were able to find a set!
No doubt. I had been putting it off and when I started seriously looking for a set on Monday everyone said they were on a six month nationwide backorder. But I just kept calling different sellers. Discount Tire came through for me. The manager called around till he was able to get five of them headed this way. Getting one from California one from Florida, two from Texas and one from AZ apparently. At least that’s what he told me. Hell I’m glad I bought an ARB last year when my Eaton E locker broke. It’s been 10 months waiting on the parts to repair my Eaton and parts still haven’t been shipped.

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
No doubt. I had been putting it off and when I started seriously looking for a set on Monday everyone said they were on a six month nationwide backorder. But I just kept calling different sellers. Discount Tire came through for me. The manager called around till he was able to get five of them headed this way. Getting one from California one from Florida, two from Texas and one from AZ apparently. At least that’s what he told me. Hell I’m glad I bought an ARB last year when my Eaton E locker broke. It’s been 10 months waiting on the parts to repair my Eaton and parts still haven’t been shipped.
I ordered an Eaton back in November. I'm just about ready to give up, much like my incomplete January 2022 order with Savvy! :cautious:

I ordered an Eaton back in November. I'm just about ready to give up, much like my incomplete January 2022 order with Savvy! :cautious:
Sorry to hear that. Luckily I suppose I’ve had most of the stuff for this rebuild for a year or two now in the barn collecting dust. Would have loved to do it sooner but my back wouldn’t allow it until I got some help.

Reactions: Wildman and Irun
Nothing feels better then cutting up brand new parts. 🤣 cut up a new hood, cut up a new belly skid plate, cut up the new rockers, cut up the new corners but damn it should look good when it’s finally done. I’ve decided to put off the full color change paint job for a few months. I’m beat and I’m not going to do my body any favors by pushing on and I don’t want to start cutting corners. So the hood will get a quick color spray and the Aluminum will stay raw for a few months. That way I can make it to Moab over Memorial Day hopefully too.

4E4D3A0C-8A8C-4C4E-9387-ABEA6EE67278.jpeg

Made some more progress today. Got the hood pins located and cut into the hood. Got started on the skid plate. I will cut the templates to add 30 degree angled pieces off the sides of the dropped portion tomorrow. So it doesn’t hang up as much. It’s dropped an inch in that section to clear the Atlas 4speed. And is extended to protect the sight tube fittings on the rear of the Atlas. Next winter I’ll cut out a section of the floor pan and rebuild it so I can get that inch of ground clearance back. Just don’t have time at the mount and it was pushed and clearances as much as a porta power hydraulic Ram would do for now.

5B7A8340-297B-46F7-BD37-08420034880F.jpeg

151AF65C-8059-440B-AB17-40718834BC02.jpeg

CB3A423E-6E6F-413A-8D0E-628E74D89599.jpeg

DFEEDA07-8707-414A-B0FB-179D53D64FF2.jpeg

Made some good progress today. Got the rear Armor on for the final time. Drilled the holes for the rear tail lights. The replacement hood louvre showed up so I used the template to cut the hood and drill the holes, smoothed the sharp edges and dropped it off at my friends body shop for paint. Then got the skid plate modifications finished. No more edges to get caught on. Smoothed all the edges with angles. It looks a lot deeper than it is for some reason in the pictures but it’s lowered 1” from the rest of the plate. I’ll get it prepped and repainted tomorrow. Drain and reseal the bottom cover of the Atlas tomorrow so it doesn’t weep anymore and start on mounting all the stuff to the inner fenders and replacing the battery cables with the Jeep Cables kit I got.

8713C001-A860-4356-945E-74E15D1BF8F3.jpeg

D6F298C6-8301-4F7F-AFB6-FDEE131A656F.jpeg

0FC2C9C9-1BFC-4EC7-BA35-7D9F942D9594.jpeg

Still moving forward and chipping away at the build. Got the skid plate completed and painted today. Got the windshield frame guards sanded, cleaned and painted. Got the sliders sanded, cleaned and primed, got all the new power and ground cables installed and routed. Got the air intake installed. Got the PDC relocated and installed, horns are installed, and I figured out where I am going to mount the new windshield washer bottle. Figured out how to get the fuel filler neck installed since it was contacting the shock reservoir I am going to cut a half inch out of the mount and weld it back together moving the shock reservoir over a little and no longer contacting the filler neck. It’s the little stuf that takes so dang long. And I’ve spent a fortune on stainless button head bolts and lock nuts. I can’t stand it when the stainless hardware seizes up partially tight and either snaps or has to be cut off and start over. Had probably 5 or 6 stainless bolts do it in the last two days.

More progress made today but not near as much as I had hoped. I was really hurting today. But I got the Atlas drained and resealed. I’ll fill it tomorrow. Installed the painted windshield frame armor Got the modified rear shock reservoir mount installed and it does in fact clear the fuel filler neck. Thank goodness. Got everything else mounted to the inner fenders completed. Got one side of the sliders painted they will dry overnight and I’ll paint the other side in the morning Hopefully. Not much left other than swap the front axle u-joints, mount the rest of the tires, install the fuel filler hoses, finish painting and installing the sliders, installing the vents in the fenders and inner fenders. Wire up the front turn signals, and then wash the grinding dust off the thing. I won’t have the hood back until next week from paint.

Got the tail lights wired up and the wires hidden as much as possible. Got the front turn signals and marker lights wired up. Got the Atlas filled, got the painting done on the sliders. Got all the wiring under the hood completed. Mounted the windshield frame lights. Got the fuel filler and vent hoses run and completed the modifications to them. I’ll put a set of rollers on in the morning and trailer it to the exhaust shop. And it looks like a May wind up with my hood back on Friday afternoon so that would be awesome news but make for a long night getting it installed.

Still moving forward and chipping away at the build. Got the skid plate completed and painted today. Got the windshield frame guards sanded, cleaned and painted. Got the sliders sanded, cleaned and primed, got all the new power and ground cables installed and routed. Got the air intake installed. Got the PDC relocated and installed, horns are installed, and I figured out where I am going to mount the new windshield washer bottle. Figured out how to get the fuel filler neck installed since it was contacting the shock reservoir I am going to cut a half inch out of the mount and weld it back together moving the shock reservoir over a little and no longer contacting the filler neck. It’s the little stuf that takes so dang long. And I’ve spent a fortune on stainless button head bolts and lock nuts. I can’t stand it when the stainless hardware seizes up partially tight and either snaps or has to be cut off and start over. Had probably 5 or 6 stainless bolts do it in the last two days.
Did you use a smaller windshield washer bottle? Or relocate the factory one?

I used a smaller bottle i sources on Amazon and placed it on the back side of the inner fender by the brake booster

Do you have a link for it? I just installed highlines and new inners and trying to decide what to do as i don’t want to ditch it if I can help it.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Reactions: Apparition
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.