Rhythmic popping noise from drivetrain under load

U8MYDZT

Wrong guy to follow
Supporting Member
Alright I need help!!
I have been chasing down a popping sound from my Jeep that has been driving me crazy. Let me describe the problem and then the chain of events that got me to begging for help...

I am getting a popping sound under hard acceleration that sounds like its somewhere in the transfer case or rear diff that roughly matches the driveshaft speed. (I haven't actually counted the pops but it is much faster than tire speed.) It only happens under load and heard mostly from a stop. If I accelerate slow enough it will not make any sound at all. It will only make this sound in forward and RWD. If I put the Jeep in 4hi or 4lo it makes no noise. If I run the Jeep in FWD (4hi rear drive shaft removed) it makes no noise. So only in RWD (2hi) and under heavy load does it make the popping.

Now for the lead up...

I broke my front ring and pinion while at Hollister. I ended up getting an HP30, trussed it, put in a truetrac and 4.1 gears. I also got new spring and lifted the Jeep about .75in during the HP30 install. As soon took it out for a test drive and tried to go forward the popping began.
After some investigation it was clear the popping was coming from the rearend. I checked ujoint and they all looked good. I checked the rear diff and the pinion was completely loose, you could easily pull the yoke/pinion in and out of the housing. I tightened the pinion nut back up and the sound still continued. I then got a new pinion bearing set and replaced the pinion bearings thinking they were tossed. While I was pulling the axles out I noticed I had a bad axle and axle bearing. I went ahead and replaced the axle and both axle bearings. The sound continued. I then tried realigning the ring and pinion and could not get the patterns to come in. I then got a new ring and pinion, new pinion bearings and set everything back up. The patterns looked good and it still made no difference in the popping sound.
So now I am confident(ish) that it is not the rear diff making the sound so I began to investigate the TC. While trying to check for chain slop I noticed that my front hub bearing is completely shot. I am in the middle of replacing the hub bearing now but given the sound if from the mid/rear I don't think this will help with the sound.

So to summarize, new HP30, the rear diff has been rebuilt, new bearings and R&P. Ujoints look good and no noticeable movement in the TC yoke or chain slap. What else could it be? Any suggestion are welcome!

Did some more test to try and narrow it down.
Removed the front driveshaft and the noise continued in all drive modes. I also drained the TC and the fluid was perfect, no chips or dirty fluid. So it is definitely something to do with the driveshaft or rear end.

Last edited:
Does your rear driveshaft have a double-cardan CV joint in it? Mine does, and the centering ball in the CV joint was going dry and making that kind of sound.

This is what i was thinking. I wanted to rebuild it but not sure what to ask for, fitment wise. It's a knockoff brand and i have no idea what parts they used.

My first though is to examine the rear diff pinion nut

The Ring, pinion and bearings have been replaced. I have setup a few R&P so I am pretty confident I got this one correct.

So I think I narrowed it down to my driveshaft. And I think its binding at the CV. I have a normal SYE and I am pretty sure my extra inch or so of lift has put me into sssye territory. I have 4" of spring lift and a UCF ultra high clearance skid putting my total drive train lift at around 7". Is it normal to get driveshaft binding on this much lift and an SYE?

Take the driveshaft apart and look at the centering pin that centers the centering yoke. If the centering yoke gets dry, you can wear a groove into this pin.

20210418_115443.jpg

Last edited:
Take the driveshaft apart and look at the centering pin that centers the centering yoke. If the centering yoke gets dry, you can wear a groove into this pin.

View attachment 489700

So yeah... Turns out I have had a greaseable CV this whole time and didn't know it..🤦‍♂️ I am guessing the CV is shot to hell.

With that said I am buying a JB super short SYE kit and will order a non-greaseable drive shaft. Hopefully this does it. For now I am driving it in FWD and everything is super quiet. It sure does like to torque steer with the truetrac in the front though. lol

Are you sure it’s not the chain in your TC slipping?

There is little to no play in the chain and it makes no noise while driving in FWD. I am pretty sure its not the TC. But I will have the TC out when I do the sssye so I will give it a good once over.

Last edited: